Newcastle Thunder Academy in Cumbria

Gonch

I attended a meeting with the RFL last night regarding the future of the player pathway and youth Development in West Cumbria.

It specifically tackled the subject of class 3 academies country wide.

To basically summarise there are a number of class 3 academies countrywide attached to professional clubs for example Barrow are running one and Castelford run 1 in the Midlands etc.

These are basically a route for 16 -19 year olds to study whichever subjects they like, and not just sports as was done previously so the kids don't lose out education wise and still get exposure to the pathway.

However these academies need to be attached to a professional club.

SL clubs have class 1 academies but some have class 3 academies in outlying areas.

The RFL explained that these academies are more or less cost neutral to the club's involved, obviously they need people's time to support, but essentially free to the club's. In addition the rugby is played midweek during course time so the players can remain at their community clubs.

Now here's the interesting bit.

They want to set up a class 3 in West Cumbria and have contacted both clubs with little appetite being shown. (Just repeating what the RFL officials told us)

So in the absence of interest from our local clubs Newcastle Thunder have asked if they could step in and the academy linked to them, obviously this would mean both clubs could see the better local youngsters going to the Thunder longer term.

Any thoughts on this guys?

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There needs to be some sort of academy and pathway system in north Cumbria and if the 2 semi pro clubs are showing " little appetite " then why not Newcastle thunder and if it means they will have the edge over the others regarding developing and signing future prospects of the game in this area then so be it , the rugby league youth of this area desperately needs such an injection of support before it disappears all together 

13 minutes ago, town4me said:

So we gonna let thunder mop up the young talent from under our noses?  Its astounding that there is little appetite. Is that because of funding?  

"The RFL explained that these academies are more or less cost neutral to the club's involved, obviously they need people's time to support, but essentially free to the club's."

10 minutes ago, donald said:

Nowt stopping both clubs doing it as a joint venture everybodys been harping on about a joint reserve team for years where better to start than at youth level 

Exactly and it seems it would be free of cost (just a bit of time and commitment ) and the West Lakes College is in the middle of both towns , seems a no brainer but reading Gonch's post the RFL is saying both clubs have little appetite . But Gary suggests that is wrong . Meanwhile the youth are missing out .

Not sure how the youth are missing out? Don't get confused this is not an academy team in the old sense when all players were signed to play for Town or Haven, this is basically college rugby for anyone on a college course .

1 hour ago, Anonymouse said:

Exactly and it seems it would be free of cost (just a bit of time and commitment ) and the West Lakes College is in the middle of both towns , seems a no brainer but reading Gonch's post the RFL is saying both clubs have little appetite . But Gary suggests that is wrong . Meanwhile the youth are missing out .

The RFL would say it would be free or minimum cost involved, are they going stump up any money ? I think not.         Investment would most certainly be required, and the RLFC have not got any credibility when it comes investing in Cumbrian R/L.

7 minutes ago, Billy Bob said:

The RFL would say it would be free or minimum cost involved, are they going stump up any money ? I think not.         Investment would most certainly be required, and the RLFC have not got any credibility when it comes investing in Cumbrian R/L.

I'm not saying the RFL are saints or have a great track record but it seems that this was emphasised at the meeting in which Gonch was present .

"The RFL explained that these academies are more or less cost neutral to the club's involved, obviously they need people's time to support, but essentially free to the club's. In addition the rugby is played midweek during course time so the players can remain at their community clubs."

So are you saying this is all nonsense or a lie Billy Bob ?

This player pathway is a complete load of tosh, seems the RFL are only interested in the identification of the best talent, the amateur game is dying due to lack of numbers. I suggest they get their head out of their ###### and deal with the real issue in the game which is participation!!

1 minute ago, snoopdog said:

This player pathway is a complete load of tosh, seems the RFL are only interested in the identification of the best talent, the amateur game is dying due to lack of numbers. I suggest they get their head out of their ###### and deal with the real issue in the game which is participation!!

A pathway is essential to entice more into the game and help with the development of those kids who have been identified as being both talented and ambitious , otherwise they see no prospect of advancing and may quit the game altogether .

lets have a look at that load of old tosh pathway and the Cumbrian lads who have recently used it .

J. Hambley . Town

W . Maher . Castleford 

B. Moore . Halifax .

S . Toal . Barrow .

T. Ritson . Town to Thunder 

J. Johnstone . Widnes .

K. Mewes . Town 

C. Fitzsimmons . Castleford to Thunder 

H. Dawson . Gloucester Old Golds 

thats just off the top of my head , theres probably some ive missed .

21 minutes ago, snoopdog said:

How does a pathway entice more players?

" A pathway is essential to entice more into the game and help with the development of those kids who have been identified as being both talented and ambitious " . I thought that was fairly self explanatory ? If a advancement pathway is made clear to kids in Junior and Secondary Schools it may entice more to take up the sport for their local clubs .

30 minutes ago, Anonymouse said:

I'm not saying the RFL are saints or have a great track record but it seems that this was emphasised at the meeting in which Gonch was present .

"The RFL explained that these academies are more or less cost neutral to the club's involved, obviously they need people's time to support, but essentially free to the club's. In addition the rugby is played midweek during course time so the players can remain at their community clubs."

So are you saying this is all nonsense or a lie Billy Bob ?

There you go again looking to read into something that isn't there. you remind me of a banty cock rearing up looking for an argument with anyone who has a differing opinion to you.

I did not state it was nonsense nor a lie, I was stating the RLF on their past dealings with Cumbrian matters cannot be trusted.

Don't be so quick to be argumentative as I am not looking for an argument.

You didn't answer my question?  Your list while impressive doesn't really tell the true story does it, most if not all of the players you have listed would have been identified by club s anyway irrespective of any pathways!.

I could also give you a list as long as my arm  with players who have been in these pathways ,who now no longer even play the game. It isn't really  difficult to identity talent is it and will continue to get easier with less teams and players involved in the game. In my opinion any initiatives should be targeted at community clubs, not rocket science the more players equals more clubs  , more clubs equals more talent to identity!!

4 minutes ago, snoopdog said:

You didn't answer my question?  Your list while impressive doesn't really tell the true story does it, most if not all of the players you have listed would have been identified by club s anyway irrespective of any pathways!.

I could also give you a list as long as my arm  with players who have been in these pathways ,who now no longer even play the game. It isn't really  difficult to identity talent is it and will continue to get easier with less teams and players involved in the game. In my opinion any initiatives should be targeted at community clubs, not rocket science the more players equals more clubs  , more clubs equals more talent to identity!!

I doubt all of those lads would have been identified by bigger clubs without the Pathway , some yes .

As for others not making it after being in the Pathway system , isnt that expected ? not every prospect ends up being signed up , look at the Super League academies , a large percentage also return to their community Clubs if they havent made the grade or find employment and quit the sport too .

The class 3 academy is just a way for players to be engaged from 16-19 without affecting potential career choices.

As for previous pathways I believe the old service area/regional system worked well, in fact Brad singleton was identified by Leeds when we played Yorkshire at Sheffield and it was a good place for our cumbria lads to get noticed.

The academy that was set up and ran at lakes college was a disaster and took too many players away from their community clubs.

The key area where we lose players is from mini mods to under 11s and from 16s to open age, there are hundreds of kids playing at junior school age we just cant keep them. A big part of that is that open age is a big step up for a 16 year old kid and also we have a lack of volunteers at amateur clubs because people are less likely to give up their own time as we live in a more selfish age

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

1 hour ago, snoopdog said:

Yeah there is so much talent knocking about it is difficult to identify? 

I will answer my question for you, pathways DONT entice any new players in fact in my opinion they do more harm than good. 

so what  would you do ? keep the same old and U16's finish their season and evaporate into other things as they have no other way of developing their game ? there has to be some sort of bridging pathway .

Told you what i would do , invest in the Community clubs so when the kids get to 16 they play under 17  ,then move onto under 19s  , enticing a few chosen individuals onto a pathway does absolutely nothing for the survival of the amateur game. Picking out odd individuals and claiming it was a result of pathways is in my opinion misleading . I'm pretty sure the Brad singletons of this world would be snapped up irrespective of any pathways.

Archived