Sign in to follow this  
newbe

PLAYERS FROM NON TRADITIONAL RL COUNTRIES.

Just read Hemel Stags have signed Greece's captain. There must a wealth of talent in the EU untapped. Have any other clubs tried to tap into this market? 

• Like 3

Better get in quick too.

Good news and I'm sure there are plenty who could go well in League One and the southern clubs are crying out for players who are willing to move down.

Shame it seems to be finally happening just before Brexit. I've said this a million times, but the Balkans and the Greeks would be perfect for RL, it's similar to sports they enjoy. 

Edited by londonrlfan

1 minute ago, londonrlfan said:

Shame it seems to be finally happening just before Brexit. I've said this a million times, but the Balkans and the Greeks would be perfect for RL, it's similar to sports they enjoy. 

Soccer?

47 minutes ago, newbe said:

Just read Hemel Stags have signed Greece's captain. There must a wealth of talent in the EU untapped. Have any other clubs tried to tap into this market? 

There isn't really anyone that I can think of at the top level that fits that bill. Masi Matongo at Hull and Judah Mazive at Wakey are both Zimbabwe born and raised but only took up the sport when they moved over here, so it doesn't really count as tapping into overseas talent. A couple of clubs have had Serbian players come train with them. Not sure of any have been signed on anywhere.

The Albanians Olsi Krasniqi and Erjon Dollapi, but again, they only discovered the game after coming to England.

Hi guys! Great topic choice and a great story about Hemel signing up a Greek domestically-raised player!

This is an avenue we are trying to push massively with Global Rugby League Academy, tapping into emerging markets (both domestic and international) to provide players with opportunities in the heartbeat of the sport in the UK. At best we may find a hidden gem; at worst a player returns home in a far superior position to organically spread the game. Here’s our most recent story regarding two of our players from RLC Dragons Krupka, Czech Republic, who have been training with Keighley Cougars Reserves!

http://globalrugbyleagueacademy.com/czech-republic-rugby-league-meets-keighley-cougars/

• Like 7

1 hour ago, GlobalRLAcad said:

Hi guys! Great topic choice and a great story about Hemel signing up a Greek domestically-raised player!

This is an avenue we are trying to push massively with Global Rugby League Academy, tapping into emerging markets (both domestic and international) to provide players with opportunities in the heartbeat of the sport in the UK. At best we may find a hidden gem; at worst a player returns home in a far superior position to organically spread the game. Here’s our most recent story regarding two of our players from RLC Dragons Krupka, Czech Republic, who have been training with Keighley Cougars Reserves!

http://globalrugbyleagueacademy.com/czech-republic-rugby-league-meets-keighley-cougars/

Did anything ever eventuate for Vladimir Milutinovic?

4 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Did anything ever eventuate for Vladimir Milutinovic?

We are pushing for Vladimir to get to England in September 2018 (along with another Serbian youngster). We initially tried getting Vladimir here in March 2018 to play 6 months after he had a short trial with Toulouse last summer, although visas proved to be a stumbling block. I have meetings regarding the Serbian lads in the coming weeks and sincerely hope we can give these guys a shot very soon - Serbia is a goldmine of untapped potential.

In all of mainland Europe (France excluded), I'd say there are about a dozen players right now capable of playing League One level of Rugby League.  Mostly from the Eastern bloc (Serbia, Russia, Ukraine).  The main issue is practicality and expense.  Not all are given the opportunity / willing to take the risk and for some of those countries, the issue of visas and all that might come into play.  It's a massive risk and sacrifice for one of these guys to go over and trial at one of these clubs.  Even if a player is spotted or scouted, no club below Championship level really has the resources to get a player over and put him into their system.  It would be great if more of these guys got the opportunity, I don't know what the answer is, perhaps some sort of scholarship scheme with universities or something?

Quinn Ngawati is the first Canadian born player to play pro RL. I'm sure he will be loaned out to a league 1 club this year. His situation is probably unique because I would imagine the Wolfpack will probably pay for his living expenses (housing, transportation, possibly meal plan) while he is out on loan. He will get experience, and if it works out the Wolfpack will get the face of Canadian Rugby League.... There has to be an almost unlimited amount of raw talent in North America, we produce some of the best athletes in the world, its all about getting them into the RL system as early as possible. 

• Like 1

Dave Scott at Batley from Scotland. Mikey Russell at Coventry and Matty Hadden at Rochdale from Ireland. I think there were a couple of Irish lads at the All Golds too but I don't know what their situation is now.

It's a real shame that visas are so difficult to come by for Serbians as I think it could be a genuine source of players in the near future.

3 hours ago, westside said:

There's Mikolaj Oledzki at Leeds, though he was raised in England.

The Polish Santa!!!!!! I hope he gets to play regularly at SL level one day and plays for the Polish national team.

FYI Mikolaj is Santa back in the mother land in case you think I just have Christmas fever.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

The Polish Santa!!!!!! I hope he gets to play regularly at SL level one day and plays for the Polish national team.

FYI Mikolaj is Santa back in the mother land in case you think I just have Christmas fever.

I wonder if Sean Penkywicz qualifies for Poland. Lewis Bienek at London too although he might be of Czech descent?

32 minutes ago, damp squib said:

Dave Scott at Batley from Scotland. Mikey Russell at Coventry and Matty Hadden at Rochdale from Ireland. I think there were a couple of Irish lads at the All Golds too but I don't know what their situation is now.

It's a real shame that visas are so difficult to come by for Serbians as I think it could be a genuine source of players in the near future.

Irishman Peter Ryan has signed for Coventry too.

• Like 1

Jimmy keinhorst born in Germany and isn’t kruse leeming originally from Swaziland??

32 minutes ago, damp squib said:

I wonder if Sean Penkywicz qualifies for Poland. Lewis Bienek at London too although he might be of Czech descent?

Oh dear, this is fast turning into a 'heritage player' thread.  The story that broke today was about a guy, born and raised in Greece, who only started playing the game about 4-5 years ago.  I believe there will be a few more like him from various countries between now and the next World Cup.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, langpark said:

Oh dear, this is fast turning into a 'heritage player' thread.  The story that broke today was about a guy, born and raised in Greece, who only started playing the game about 4-5 years ago.  I believe there will be a few more like him from various countries between now and the next World Cup.

I was just curious! You're right though this thread shouldn't include heritage players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My bad, just got excited of my fellow Pole.

I do believe that Serbia will be the most likely to produce top players in the short term as their  league is the strongest in Europe outside of the UK and France no? I hope they make the WC and that they get some players signed to bigger leagues as a result of their performance. Opening up pathways to play outside of ______(insert nations name here) for decent money will be key to getting more people playing the game in those nations.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, langpark said:

Yep, the thread was done after 5 posts when someone started naming random Super League players who moved to England as kids. Embarrassing to be honest.

3 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

My bad, just got excited of my fellow Pole.

I do believe that Serbia will be the most likely to produce top players in the short term as their  league is the strongest in Europe outside of the UK and France no? I hope they make the WC and that they get some players signed to bigger leagues as a result of their performance. Opening up pathways to play outside of ______(insert nations name here) for decent money will be key to getting more people playing the game in those nations.

Yep, that's correct.  Serbia would have the strongest league on the mainland exc. France.  Plus the fact that they have 4-team U16 and U18 comps going helps, as their players are starting just a few years earlier than all the rest.

In all fairness though, a few of their players have played Elite 2 level.  And there is a player (Nikolic) currently in Elite 1 now with Villeneuve. 

• Like 1

There were 3 or 4 domestic Lebanese players who were invited to train with the Cedars' RWC squad, before the tournament. I wonder if anyone in the UK's made a note of their names and decided to have a look at them.