Sign in to follow this  
Scubby

Your ideal GB tour 2019

Now I am not really in favour of a return the GB but it is happening by the looks of it. What would be your preferred style of tour. I think club sides and state sides are a bit of a wast of time with the WC providing tonnes of fantastic potential opponents. I would just start with the PNG Hunters as a warm up (as the only club side). We need to go with a squad of around 36 players IMO.

Arrive

• Mid-week v PNG Hunters (Port Morseby) Tour match
  • Weekend 1 v PNG (Port Morseby)
  • Midweek v Indigenous Australia (Queensland) Tour match
  • Weekend 2 v Australia (Brisbane)
  • Midweek v Pacific Islands XIII (Sydney)
  • Weekend 3 v Australia (Sydney)
  • Midweek v NZ Maori (Auckland) Tour Match
  • Weekend 4 v Tonga (Auckland)
  • Weekend 5 v NZ (Wellington)
  • Weekend 6 v NZ (Christchurch)

10 games over six weeks. Four midweek games to ensure all 36 players play and 6 test matches. Unfortunately you can't play everyone in tests not enough time. The reason for only 2 tests v Australia and NZ is that this was the vibe coming out of the RFL rather than a full blown Ashes series (which is down for 2020 I think).

Just an ideas thread really...

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Game 1 v PNG in Port Moresby

Game 2 v  NQ Cowboys in Townsville

Game 3 v Australia in Brisbane (Ashes)

Game 4 v Lebanon in Sydney

Game 5 v Fiji in Suva 

Game 6 v Australia in Melbourne (Ashes)

Game 7 v Samoa in Wellington double header with New Zealand v Tonga

Game 8 v Tonga @Mt Smart stadium double header with New Zealand v Samoa

Game 9 v New Zealand @Eden Park double header with Tonga v Samoa 

(7-9 would be essentially a four nations championship) 

Game 10 v Australia in Perth (Ashes)

• Like 1

It'll be one warm up and three tests v Australia. The days of six week tours are a thing of the past. We all know the Aussie spectators clock off at the final whistle on GF night.

Edited by deluded pom?
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

It'll be one warm up and three tests v Australia. The days of six week tours are a thing of the past. We all know the Aussie spectators clock off at the final whistle on GF night.

It would be nice to play an actual country in the warm up and not Affiliated states or NZ Maori. 

22 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

That's why I've only put 2-3 weeks of my idea actually in Australia. The days of needing Australian-based games are hopefully long gone. 

• Like 1

I would say realistically 

PNG game 1

Indigenous Oz game 2

Then a 3 match test series v Oz

Midweek games probably not realistic given nature of RL and the cost of a larger touring party.

1st Oct Squad bar top 4 teams fly to Suva

5th Oct GF

6th Oct Prince's XIII (GB minus play-off teams) v Presidents XIII (Fiji residents) Suva.

7th Oct top 4 fly out

13th Oct Princes XIII v  PNG Prime Ministers XIII Port Moresby

20th Oct GB v PNG Port Moresby

24th Oct GB v  Indigineous All Stars, Skilled Park.

27th GB v Samoa, Townsville

3rd Nov, GB v Australia 1st test, Suncorp,

7th Nov, GB v Lebanon, Sydney

10th Nov GB v Australia 2nd test, Sydney

17th Nov GB v Australia 3rd test, Melbourne

21st Nov GB v Tonga, Hamilton

24th Nov GB v NZ, Auckland

31st Nov Gb v Fiji, Suva

Though it almost certainly will be a warm up game, 3 tests and a game v NZ on the way back.

Just to add, there wil also be the 9s world cup weekend to fit in there.  So we could have an extra 36 GB qualified players out there annyway so there is really no excuse for not doing a proper tour.

Edited by scotchy1
  • Like 1

Ideally I'd like the format that was used on the last full Lions tour in 1992. Maybe replacing one of the tour games in NZ or Aus with a game against Fiji, Tonga or Samoa.

However let's be honest a tour of that length is simply not going to happen. So what I'd settle for (using arbitrarily assigned dates),

v PNG (Sat, 20th October)

v NSW Cup XIII (Wed, 24th October)

v Australia (Sat, 27th October)

v Queensland Cup XIII (Wed, 31st October)

v Australia (Sat, 06th November)

v NZ Division XIII (Wed, 10th November)

v New Zealand (Sat, 13th November)

v NZ Maori (Wed, 17th November)

v New Zealand (Sat, 20th November)

All done in a month which is around about how long it takes to complete a 4N programme.

Plenty of midweek games but as Gavin Willacy said in the Guardian, which I completely agreed with, bringing back a Lions tour has to mean something different beyond a series of tests against Australia and New Zealand. Otherwise it's truly pointless bringing the Lions back.

Edited by Bramstein

If it is to be a limited number of games outside the test matches, then let's play both Queensland, and NSW, and see if we can put the SOO is superior to test match rugby theory to bed, once and for all.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

1st Oct Squad bar top 4 teams fly to Suva

5th Oct GF

6th Oct Prince's XIII (GB minus play-off teams) v Presidents XIII (Fiji residents) Suva.

7th Oct top 4 fly out

13th Oct Princes XIII v  PNG Prime Ministers XIII Port Moresby

20th Oct GB v PNG Port Moresby

24th Oct GB v  Indigineous All Stars, Skilled Park.

27th GB v Samoa, Townsville

3rd Nov, GB v Australia 1st test, Suncorp,

7th Nov, GB v Lebanon, Sydney

10th Nov GB v Australia 2nd test, Sydney

17th Nov GB v Australia 3rd test, Melbourne

21st Nov GB v Tonga, Hamilton

24th Nov GB v NZ, Auckland

31st Nov Gb v Fiji, Suva

Though it almost certainly will be a warm up game, 3 tests and a game v NZ on the way back

Why would we have a 3 test series v Aus and then play three more times? Play those games before the series surely?

Some of the schedules being suggested are absolutely brutal on the players. Even if its a big squad. I'd rather see a warm up against PNG, followed by a three match series v Australia with a couple of mid week tour matches against club or select sides. Meanwhile the pacific nations can play a tournament of their own. At the end of a long season its just asking too much of the players to have everybody playing everybody.

Edited by MZH

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

I believe the English club seasion is longer than the Australian one, so maybe the Aussies are not the (only) responsable. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MZH said:

Why would we have a 3 test series v Aus and then play three more times? Play those games before the series surely?

Some of the schedules being suggested are absolutely brutal on the players. Even if its a big squad. I'd rather see a warm up against PNG, followed by a three match series v Australia with a couple of mid week tour matches against club or select sides. Meanwhile the pacific nations can play a tournament of their own. At the end of a long season its just asking too much of the players to have everybody playing everybody.

Is it brutal though in real terms? Taylor, Williams, Percival and Ratchford played less than a game in 6 weeks. And that was with a 24-man squad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

Now I am not really in favour of a return the GB but it is happening by the looks of it. What would be your preferred style of tour. I think club sides and state sides are a bit of a wast of time with the WC providing tonnes of fantastic potential opponents. I would just start with the PNG Hunters as a warm up (as the only club side). We need to go with a squad of around 36 players IMO.

Arrive

• Mid-week v PNG Hunters (Port Morseby) Tour match
  • Weekend 1 v PNG (Port Morseby)
  • Midweek v Indigenous Australia (Queensland) Tour match
  • Weekend 2 v Australia (Brisbane)
  • Midweek v Pacific Islands XIII (Sydney)
  • Weekend 3 v Australia (Sydney)
  • Midweek v NZ Maori (Auckland) Tour Match
  • Weekend 4 v Tonga (Auckland)
  • Weekend 5 v NZ (Wellington)
  • Weekend 6 v NZ (Christchurch)

10 games over six weeks. Four midweek games to ensure all 36 players play and 6 test matches. Unfortunately you can't play everyone in tests not enough time. The reason for only 2 tests v Australia and NZ is that this was the vibe coming out of the RFL rather than a full blown Ashes series (which is down for 2020 I think).

Just an ideas thread really...

I agree that we should not be playing club sides now. Their season will have finished, so we should be playing rep sides.

I quite like your schedule, probably with a couple of tweaks:

1. I don't think we need two games in Port Moresby within a few days of each other. Just a one-off test should work.

2. I would replace that with a further game against the Aussies for a three game series.

3. I also have a bit of an issue with the NZ leg being last - as in the past it has always felt like a bit of an afterthought. I wonder whether we could finish with the Aussies as the biggest games, and the likes of Tonga and NZ in NZ would be great games that get the focus rather than treated how they have in the past.

4. I'm not a fan of Pacific Islands game in Oz, and not a massive fan of indigenous and maori games, but I accept why we have them and they would be enjoyable games. I'd rather they were replaced with other teams.

But I wouldn't argue with a schedule like yours if it was announced.

19 minutes ago, MZH said:

Its supposed to be a Lions tour, not an ashes series.

Bar the Princes XIII games, its a 7 week tour with 10 matches. For the Princes XIII those players wont have played for 2 weeks, they would also be playing against residents sides. Also the Club season may be a few weeks shorter by then anyway.

Besides, its supposed to be a challenge.

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I agree that we should not be playing club sides now. Their season will have finished, so we should be playing rep sides.

I quite like your schedule, probably with a couple of tweaks:

1. I don't think we need two games in Port Moresby within a few days of each other. Just a one-off test should work.

2. I would replace that with a further game against the Aussies for a three game series.

3. I also have a bit of an issue with the NZ leg being last - as in the past it has always felt like a bit of an afterthought. I wonder whether we could finish with the Aussies as the biggest games, and the likes of Tonga and NZ in NZ would be great games that get the focus rather than treated how they have in the past.

4. I'm not a fan of Pacific Islands game in Oz, and not a massive fan of indigenous and maori games, but I accept why we have them and they would be enjoyable games. I'd rather they were replaced with other teams.

But I wouldn't argue with a schedule like yours if it was announced.

Fair comments. My ideas were just off the top of my head but I think the feel is how it should be. My thinking was logistics in terms of Port Morseby to Brisbane then onwards, but agree with those NZ games being a tag on as in previous tours in the 1980s and 1990s. 

Weekend 1 v Auckland origin at MT Smart Wearing the classic blue jersey the ARL team had  a 7-1 winning record against Lions tourists. Get all Auckland junior NZ, TON & SAM internationals together for an opening matchup with historic value. 

Weekend 2 v New Zealand at Hamilton. Got good WC crowds not far from Auckland for tourists & 'heartland' fans. 

Weekend 3 v Indigenous All Stars at new Townsville stadium opening a few months ahead of schedule with JT stand naming ceremony. 

Weekend 4 v Australia at new Parramatta stadium. Usual excuses of 'I'll get wet, it's not in western suburbs, it's too big and it's not rectangular' don't apply 30,000 sellout! 

Weekend 5 v Australia at Suncorp. 

Weekend 6 v Australia at Melbourne rectangular. 

My ideal tour would feature a mix of weekend and midweek one-off games against PNG, Fiji, Australia, Lebanon, Tonga, Samoa and New Zealand plus a couple of rep games in the NSW bush and northern Queensland/NT.

Edited by Man of Kent

15 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Double post 

This one was better :tongue:

Edited by Scubby

I’d think it has to be a three test Ashes series at the heart of it , however they frame it 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I’d think it has to be a three test Ashes series at the heart of it , however they frame it 

And when Australia tour here in 2020 to play england is that for the ashes too?

My ideal tour in 2019 would be that England tour instead...GB is pointless and irrelevant

• Like 1

13 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

And a game against New Zealand. Warm up game might be against a Pacific Nations.