Luis Johnson

9 minutes ago, Bring back the Boyd said:

Wire sign hot prospect second row forward from Cas. Fee of 45k for 18 year old. Hopefully get some game time next season 

Haven't Cas lost a young half back to Rugby Union in the last couple of weeks too? Shame they are not feeling the benefit of bringing through these young guys.

4 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Haven't Cas lost a young half back to Rugby Union in the last couple of weeks too? Shame they are not feeling the benefit of bringing through these young guys.

Offered a new contract. Came from union, and gone back to it.

2 hours ago, snapski said:

£45k is silly money in our game for someone who might make it.

heard he’s 2 years away from being considered for a go at first team. 

Not really. If someone can afford to gamble 45k then it isnt silly.

Had he re-signed for Cas I suspect you would have been lauding him for England :biggrin:

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Not really. If someone can afford to gamble 45k then it isnt silly.

Had he re-signed for Cas I suspect you would have been lauding him for England :biggrin:

Would that 45k be better off being invested into Warrington’s youth to develop their own players though?

8 hours ago, snapski said:

Offered a new contract. Came from union, and gone back to it.

He’d been in League the last 5 years and captained England academy and scored the match winning drop goal vs France earlier this season. That said the consensus was he fell down the pecking order at Cas, behind the likes of Trueman etc. However, still someone we’d like to have kept in the game 

51 minutes ago, Emosi Koloto said:

Such a shame though, Cas invested a lot in him as the game in general did.

McClelland was sent to Australia a couple of seasons ago for experience and he was developing well.

Were Cas compensated?

7 hours ago, Spidey said:

Would that 45k be better off being invested into Warrington’s youth to develop their own players though?

If they werent also spending money in that area id agree, yes. As i understand it Wire do invest in youth, plus transfer fees.

Reading Steve prices comments he aims to build on the work done by the club through the foundation in the community, they publish what they are doing on a regular basis and as a former junior coach in schools and clubs I have seen the changes. But no sports club can just be successful by staying in the local area and every rugby club is looking far and wide, as well Cas don't seem to do bad from Warrington financially. 

6 hours ago, Emosi Koloto said:

Such a shame though, Cas invested a lot in him as the game in general did.

McClelland was sent to Australia a couple of seasons ago for experience and he was developing well.

I think it’s really interesting to read what he said for some of his reasoning on the move. Our administrators (both nationally and internationally) really need to take note of comments like these as there are parallels to what the likes Sam Burgess and other larger profile players have said when moving codes. I think we ignore it at our peril.

2 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

I think it’s really interesting to read what he said for some of his reasoning on the move. Our administrators (both nationally and internationally) really need to take note of comments like these as there are parallels to what the likes Sam Burgess and other larger profile players have said when moving codes. I think we ignore it at our peril.

That RL fans are miserable beggars?

9 hours ago, Dave T said:

If they werent also spending money in that area id agree, yes. As i understand it Wire do invest in youth, plus transfer fees.

I keep hearing from the Warrington hierarchy that they want Warrington lads on the first team, however I also see a lot of transfers coming in from elsewhere. I do know some of them personally and know them to be genuine, I just don’t know if immediate success is placed above long term goals

If they directly invested 45k into the local clubs of the town I reckon they’d get more than one player out of the other end

4 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I keep hearing from the Warrington hierarchy that they want Warrington lads on the first team, however I also see a lot of transfers coming in from elsewhere. I do know some of them personally and know them to be genuine, I just don’t know if immediate success is placed above long term goals

If they directly invested 45k into the local clubs of the town I reckon they’d get more than one player out of the other end

In fairness, he’s probably a straight replacement for Jullien who they probably got a similar fee for

28 minutes ago, Spidey said:

It really cant be one or the other and it is difficult to say invest that money in your own town and its better.

If this lad turns out to be a great player then it could be a short term investment ie 2 or 3 years. Investing 45k in local clubs now wont pay dividends in 2 years.

Ive no issues with investing and developing locally and signing in others from wherever. If the local lads are not there yet we cant stick to our principles and wait another 10 years. 

38 minutes ago, Spidey said:

In real terms they spend a lot more on local schools and clubs it's not about hard cash more time and helping clubs to raise money at games, each junior club has two first team players designated to them for various coaching clinics and when needed at functions, each club is given a match to raise money as well as being flag holders. Every school is given coaching by the club including senior schools. The cost in real terms is way more than £45k, but clubs need to look in more areas than their own. If they ignore local sides you could criticise them but they are improving locally every year. 

Archived