Sign in to follow this  
Man of Kent

Super League restructure coming

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Hopefully it’ll be along the line of an eventual 14 team super league with no relegation for 2 years and promotion for the championship winners of 2018&2019 giving us a 13 team super league in 2019 and a 14 team super league in 2020.

No promotion and relegation just pick the best 12-16 clubs to create the most attractive competition to a wider audience and that will take the sport forward in the northern hemisphere.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

The rumour mill has been saying for about a year now and it looks like its going to happen sooner rather than later

No doubt heavily influenced by the unexpected emergence of Toronto and other potential North American franchises.

In an answer to a reply to his tweet he states it is a new board to run SL

Edited by RS
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

The rumour mill has been saying for about a year now and it looks like its going to happen sooner rather than later

Don't tell Parky/Harry...wouldn't want to take off those fog covered glasses and clean them once in awhile.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Don't tell Parky/Harry...wouldn't want to take off those fog covered glasses and clean them once in awhile.

We are here canoeman, very much looking forward to a published statement from the powers that be, it would not be correct going into next season not knowing what the format for the following season will be.

I would have 2 closed leagues of 10, with minimum levels of turnover/investment in money and people, and make people clubs bid for them. 28 game season, playing everyone in your own league home and away, and everyone in the other league once. P and R between the leagues, but no one dropping out of the bottom tier for 5 years. 

So, everyone who was in SL and the middle 8s, plus Toronto, Toulouse, Bradford (proud providers of England players galore)  and Newcastle (picking names out of thin air). All your expansion teams of note, all of your potential big guns, everyone gets their big derbies, long enough time frame to invest, while still significant jeopardy. 

Ray French has put forward a 16 team licensed "conference" SL, which would work for me. 

7 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I would have 2 closed leagues of 10, with minimum levels of turnover/investment in money and people, and make people clubs bid for them. 28 game season, playing everyone in your own league home and away, and everyone in the other league once. P and R between the leagues, but no one dropping out of the bottom tier for 5 years. 

So, everyone who was in SL and the middle 8s, plus Toronto, Toulouse, Bradford (proud providers of England players galore)  and Newcastle (picking names out of thin air). All your expansion teams of note, all of your potential big guns, everyone gets their big derbies, long enough time frame to invest, while still significant jeopardy. 

Ray French has put forward a 16 team licensed "conference" SL, which would work for me. 

what are Rays pick ?, any big surprises,

I would not read anything Mascord writes full stop.

Even if it is  correct I have no interest in reading his articles.

It would rather read fantasy books based on dreams.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bamfordsbeans said:

I can see the SL becoming a separate entity to the RFL,similar to the set up in soccer between the Premiership and the FA.

In many ways for it to achieve commercial success it should be. The RFL appear overstretched with England, 3 pro leagues and everything else. However this may also make it harder for internationals.

18 minutes ago, bamfordsbeans said:

I can see the SL becoming a separate entity to the RFL,similar to the set up in soccer between the Premiership and the FA.

I would like the Championship and division 1 to form their own competition outside of S.L. and try to find their own viewing contracts but the problem comes down to lack of funds until they can find a sustainable income for all clubs.There is more to R.L. than S.L.

9 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

I would like the Championship and division 1 to form their own competition outside of S.L. and try to find their own viewing contracts but the problem comes down to lack of funds until they can find a sustainable income for all clubs.There is more to R.L. than S.L.

Yes, agreed.

In reality, Super League needs a strong competition underneath it too as a source of expansion clubs/players.

I think the long term plan of Toronto will be to breakaway and play in a North American only competition rather than play a bunch of small towns in northern England in perpetuity 

14 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Its a double-edged sword for the lower league clubs because whilst they rely on the SL clubs largely for funding the RFL, the challenge cup, players, and infrastructure, SL has little incentive to invest in and focus on growing the lower leagues.

Added to that, the clubs in the lower leagues often arent focused on improving those competitions but rather simply getting out of them and you are left with rather neglected competitions. 

A bigger split between SL and the lower leagues could hopefully see that change. 

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

We are here canoeman, very much looking forward to a published statement from the powers that be, it would not be correct going into next season not knowing what the format for the following season will be.

You don't get it even now...even after all of my patience Parky/Harry...calling me canoeman is a compliment, not an insult, and doesn't bother me in the least...I love that craft also...spent many an hour canoeing all over, LOVE IT,...rumour is I was conceived in a canoe (NO KIDDING)!

By the way when asking a question you should follow it with a question mark (Parky has done the exact thing often in the past; now you do it also...interesting; you can't hide your literary fingerprints my friend)

IMG_0475.jpg

The fact that we are even talking about restructure strikes me as daft. What other sport changes the way its premier competition is structured as frequently as we do? From memory, in the Super League era, we've had:

1996-97 - First place are champions, one side relegated, top 4 in the premiership
1998 - Introduced the Grand Final, changed to a top-five play off system, got rid of the Premiership
1999 - Increased number of sides to 14 (and did we remove relegation for a year or two?)
2000 - Reduced number of sides to 12
2002 - Increased size of play offs to six (and re-introduced promotion and relegation?)
2003 - Introduced the League Leaders' Shield
2005 - Relegated two sides this year
2008 - 09  - Introduced licensing, removed P & R, increased number of sides to 14, increased play offs to eight
2014-15 - Introduced "Super 8's", relegated two sides in 2014, left play offs at eight for 2014, before reducing to four.
2020 - Probably changing to yet another system.

The number of changes we have made is ridiculous, and we hid behind the "innovation" tag, when really it's caused by a lack of confidence in our product/leadership/finances.

They are just the changes that I can recall, there have been many others to the lower leagues no doubt, and others to the Super League that I've probably missed.

I would have hoped that by now, after all of these changes, that we realised that changing our structure is not the answer. It's time that we start addressing the underlying problems in our domestic game, rather than another introducing another "innovative" system.

We're going to reach a point soon that we have ran out of structures to try and then are faced head on with the real problems, such as a lack of academy teams, and struggling lower-league clubs.

Edited by Chris22
  • Like 8

39 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

You don't get it even now...even after all of my patience Parky/Harry...calling me canoeman is a compliment, not an insult, and doesn't bother me in the least...I love that craft also...spent many an hour canoeing all over, LOVE IT,...rumour is I was conceived in a canoe (NO KIDDING)!

By the way when asking a question you should follow it with a question mark (Parky has done the exact thing often in the past; now you do it also...interesting; you can't hide your literary fingerprints my friend)

IMG_0475.jpg

Next it will be a basket in the reeds that you were found in and your real name is Moses.

17 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Next it will be a basket in the reeds that you were found in and your real name is Moses.

Close but no cigar...how did you know?

hendrix.jpg

4 hours ago, walter sobchak said:

Hopefully it’ll be along the line of an eventual 14 team super league with no relegation for 2 years and promotion for the championship winners of 2018&2019 giving us a 13 team super league in 2019 and a 14 team super league in 2020.

If this is what happens it'll be goodbye to me parting with hard earned cash to watch pro RL.  The absolute worst outcome.  An outcome that could split the game from top to bottom.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

It wouldn't be correct, but it would be fairly standard procedure for RL.

The only real restructures needed is the player pathways to the top level and improved facilities. 

Edited by StadiumXIII

6 minutes ago, Trojan said:

If this is what happens it'll be goodbye to me parting with hard earned cash to watch pro RL.  The absolute worst outcome.  An outcome that could split the game from top to bottom.

Your problem is that, after removing the clubs likely to be in SL,  even if the entire lower league fanbase did exactly the same, we would only lose a similar to what we have lost with Bradford.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Your problem is that, after removing the clubs likely to be in SL,  even if the entire lower league fanbase did exactly the same, we would only lose a similar to what we have lost with Bradford.

Probably true.  But once it happened (if it happened) and this new super duper league was formed, what happens next? When as previously, clubs fall into a comfort zone and the same teams finish bottom every year?  Will they be dropped, and then the next lot? This format is a recipe for a race to the bottom.  For there to be a competitive league, the teams at the top have to have someone to play.  As things stand at the moment, the teams at the top are the ones with the resources, and that's how they want it to stay.  Money talks and the rest can please themselves.  Well, after nearly 60 years of following the game, if the format above is what is introduced, that'll be the end for me.  And I won't just stop going to league games, I'll do exactly what I did last time and stop going to all the other RL connected events, test matches, grand finals, CC finals.  If the RFL want to ensure the eventual demise of the game then this plan is the sure and certain way to achieve it.  I'll watch it on TV for free.

• Like 2