Greg Eastwood - Heart Problems

It's sad to see that Greg Eastwood has had a heart problem.

He blacked out a couple of times during pre-season training.

He had suffered dizziness and suffered some loss of vision.

After initial tests on his heart and brain no problem could be found and he was cleared to return to training.

However, after a subsequent training session at the Bulldogs, the 30 year old father of five suffered again, this time with an irregular heartbeat.

Greg underwent heart surgery this week.

I wish him well and hope he has a full recovery.

Apparently the operation went well and the surgeon was able to correct the irregularity and no pacemaker was needed.

Thankfully it was diagnosed and treated before anything really wrong happened.

Up, up Cronulla; The boys in the black, white and blue; Up, up Cronulla; Name of the Sharks fits you; Sharks, Sharks forever; Go out and play without fear; Now's the time to see good football*; For the Sharks are here!

* Subject to change

Currently playing: Gorbachev: The Fall of Communism & Swing States 2012

It’s difficult to know what’s best.

From what he’s said it looks like he intends to continue playing in the new look Doggies’ pack next season.

Surely the club will monitor his health closely.

One way of looking after himself would be to retire, which would be the safest thing to do.

• 1 month later...

Canterbury forward Greg Eastwood is yet to receive approval to play this season following a serious heart scare that has restricted him to light duties. 

Bulldogs officials confirmed Eastwood hadn’t been given the green light for 2018 and will be monitored after he underwent surgery to correct an abnormal heart rate, which occurred while he was driving to training prior to Christmas.

He still aims to continue his career, but he’s still being assessed.

I’m only 30 and I’ve still got a bit to offer so that is what I’ll be pushing for.

“I’ll build up with a bit of cardio for the next couple of weeks and then I’ll see the doctor again after Christmas and hopefully he gives me the all-clear.

“But anything to do with the heart is pretty scary — you need it to live.

“The club have been really good though. They have made sure I’ve looked after my health before footy and whatever I need to do they let me do it. That has been greatly appreciated.”

Archived