Leyther_Matt

Toronto v Halifax venue

3 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

if this game cannot take place in Toronto, how about in Halifax, Nova Scotia - probably a ridiculously naïve suggestion, I realise!

Lol someone had to say it :)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Hope no Fax fans have been financially stung by this.

I'd really like to see Fev there in July, but nothing is booked yet.

The club advised fans not to make arrangements when the fixtures came out and to wait for further announcements so any problems should hopefully be minimal.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, CanadianRugger said:

I'd like to send a note to the RFL that you can't call a team Toronto if they spend 10 out of 12 months playing in the UK.  This better not become a massive farce.

There are other forces at work as well.  Regardless of Canada's poor on field performance of late at Rugby Union, the sport is still 100x more popular than league. 

As a participation sport there are around 70 rugby union clubs in Ontario, most towns have at least one club with major cities like Toronto and Ottawa having a number of different neighborhood clubs.  This also doesnt take in to account that Rugby Union is played in all public high schools.  

There are three actual League clubs in all of Ontario and probably less than 200 amateur players, there are 15,000 registered club union players just in Ontario (this doesn't include school union).

As stated elsewhere, the Ontario Blues (the provincial amateur rep side that plays in Rugby Canada's CRC) are becoming professional and will begin play in the American MLR from 2019.  

Now the MLR is the second attempt at starting a homegrown Pro League in NA; however, unlike the now defunct PRO Rugby that was owned by one individual, MLR ia based on existing clubs who are forming professional sides.

The Wolfpack were first to the market; however, there are a lot of back room movements at play right now that could upset the apple cart if they aren't careful.

Change your avatar to that terrible Ontario Arrows logo then. Threat level from them = 0.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, SteveT said:

The club advised fans not to make arrangements when the fixtures came out and to wait for further announcements so any problems should hopefully be minimal.

Right. Lets hope so.

3 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Toronto v Halifax fixture not taking place in Canada

Nothing on the Toronto website yet but it's presumably due to the pitch works not being completed in time. Will be interesting to see if it affects any of the other games, but now that's only 9 regular season games scheduled to take place in Toronto?

They did only guarantee a min of  10 home games in the season ticket package so 9 reg season plus 3-4 post season takes us to 12-13 so they managed to beat expectations. 

Will they play out of their Manchester home base or will it be a bonus home game for Fax?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

They did only guarantee a min of  10 home games in the season ticket package so 9 reg season plus 3-4 post season takes us to 12-13 so they managed to beat expectations. 

Will they play out of their Manchester home base or will it be a bonus home game for Fax?

How about taking the game to somewhere new, a potential expansion area? I'll let Europeans suggest cities, but Dublin could be a great opportunity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

I do not often mitigate the miserable tone on here. However, in mitigation a lot of posters have been through Paris, Celtic Crusaders and such over the last 20 years. Toronto have created an uncertain vibe in year 2 that reflects exactly what happened with these clubs. 

Now I believe we are talking about completely different beasts here but it is easy for many non-cheerleading posters on here to be anxious. The Wolfpack haven't covered themselves in glory with how they have handled this IMO. I believe this is partly due to the uncertainty over the whole competition. Why go full steam for promotion when you might not actually need it for 2019? The UK game itself is to blame for creating this landscape but The Wolfpack is allowing unnecessary rumour to germinate. 

Understand the uneasiness from the UK as you guys have seen similar things happen before but from the get go TWP management said that they guaranteed 10 games in the season tickets witch meant that the first 4 games were in question due to the pitch replacement. This news shouldn't be a surprise as this is the 1st game  that was scheduled for Lamport and has been at the most risk from day one. TWP advised all the first 4 teams not to book anything until the schedule was finalized. Really a lot of due diligence done by the management and i'm sure they are disjointed that they weren't able to offer all home games at Lamport but this was out of our hands as we are just the newest tenants of the stadium and not the owners. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, manu266 said:

How about taking the game to somewhere new, a potential expansion area? I'll let Europeans suggest cities, but Dublin could be a great opportunity.

Now your asking TWP to pay for a stadium in Dublin and cover the travel costs there and for a game that is really not likely to get a large crowd? We are doing a lot in financial terms for the division but your request is unreasonable.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

Understand the uneasiness from the UK as you guys have seen similar things happen before but from the get go TWP management said that they guaranteed 10 games in the season tickets witch meant that the first 4 games were in question due to the pitch replacement. This news shouldn't be a surprise as this is the 1st game  that was scheduled for Lamport and has been at the most risk from day one. TWP advised all the first 4 teams not to book anything until the schedule was finalized. Really a lot of due diligence done by the management and i'm sure they are disjointed that they weren't able to offer all home games at Lamport but this was out of our hands as we are just the newest tenants of the stadium and not the owners. 

Krzzy, it's not so much that they're not playing at Lamport, but that they're moving it to the UK. It's been frequently suggested on these boards (including by Manu on this thread) that if Hamilton is to be the next team, surely it would make sense to play these games that they can't play at Lamport there. Or if a suitable deal can't be reached with them, then at another venue in the GTA or close by.
It's at least disappointing and at worst worrying that the Wolfpack are unable to fulfil these fixtures in their home country. Must also be threatening the goodwill of local fans in Canada & is a missed opportunity for development in Hamilton or elsewhere on the road in Canada.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

Now your asking TWP to pay for a stadium in Dublin and cover the travel costs there and for a game that is really not likely to get a large crowd? We are doing a lot in financial terms for the division but your request is unreasonable.

Oh come on, they have to rent a stadium somewhere anyway. Don't know how many tickets they will sell, but what can they expect if they play in Manchester anyway?

Edited by manu266
typo

12 minutes ago, mrfranco said:

Krzzy, it's not so much that they're not playing at Lamport, but that they're moving it to the UK. It's been frequently suggested on these boards (including by Manu on this thread) that if Hamilton is to be the next team, surely it would make sense to play these games that they can't play at Lamport there. Or if a suitable deal can't be reached with them, then at another venue in the GTA or close by.
It's at least disappointing and at worst worrying that the Wolfpack are unable to fulfil these fixtures in their home country. Must also be threatening the goodwill of local fans in Canada & is a missed opportunity for development in Hamilton or elsewhere on the road in Canada.

I think its naive to think that it is that easy. Hamilton may or may not be looking for a franchise, but even if they are the stadium still needs to be available, and renting it still needs to be cost-effective, especially as Toronto are already bearing the costs of getting teams over there.

And if its not Hamilton its not as simple as just getting another field in the GTA. Rogers Centre would need reconfiguring and is pretty big, BMO field is a 30k capacity stadium and the economies of scale change drastically.

5 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I think its naive to think that it is that easy. Hamilton may or may not be looking for a franchise, but even if they are the stadium still needs to be available, and renting it still needs to be cost-effective, especially as Toronto are already bearing the costs of getting teams over there.

And if its not Hamilton its not as simple as just getting another field in the GTA. Rogers Centre would need reconfiguring and is pretty big, BMO field is a 30k capacity stadium and the economies of scale change drastically.

I don't doubt that these things are complicated and not easy, as you say - but I would hope not insurmountable. I think it's right to be disappointed that they couldn't manage to find another venue in the general area - which would enable them to use most of the logistical arrangements they already have in place for bringing over visiting teams and for their own players of course.

Didn't they issue a statement earlier in the close season along the lines of "Don't worry everyone, all our home games will be held in Canada"? Did I dream that? 

36 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

For me, they should just pack them into Varsity stadium, even if it has only 5000 capacity, it will be fine for a couple of games.

1 hour ago, mrfranco said:

Krzzy, it's not so much that they're not playing at Lamport, but that they're moving it to the UK. It's been frequently suggested on these boards (including by Manu on this thread) that if Hamilton is to be the next team,

The more it goes, the more I think the next Canadian teams are... Boston and Philadelphia.

44 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Now these venues are expensive and not available anyway. But Hamilton? Come on, who's playing there in May?... Varsity is small ok, but full house guaranteed and extra people watching from the street. Ottawa stadiums could have been used too. US East coast also, why not, visa problems maybe, but it's not any further for a European team.

35 minutes ago, mrfranco said:

Didn't they issue a statement earlier in the close season along the lines of "Don't worry everyone, all our home games will be held in Canada"? Did I dream that? 

No, I heard it too and I thought, well they will do whatever it takes to get a stadium in Canada.

Well maybe they have good reasons for all that, but then I wish someone from the Wolfpack had the balls to face us and explain why we lost home games that were supposed to be moved anywhere in Canada. No, radio silence and we get the news from the other team website. And we are left fuming and speculating. Why Wolfpack? Answers please!!!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, manu266 said:

Oh come on, they have to rent a stadium somewhere anyway. Don't know how many tickets they will sell, but what can they expect if they play in Manchester anyway?

You need a stadium, somewhere for the players to stay with adequate training facilities and transportation to and from the stadium. There is a lot of logistics for a one off game. i would honestly give Fax the home game so they get extra gate revenues as a consolation for not getting the chance to travel to Canada.

First transatlantic team ever here folks, unique issues are bound to come up and it's all in how they are dealt with and as a local fan i have to say i don't have anything to complain about. Am i bummed that we wont see Fax at home yes, am i bummed about no t seeing Toulouse for the TO derby, yes.

But i understand that the pitch renovation is out of our control and is throwing a ranch into our plans, one time thing as it won't have to be done again for years. I understand and actually applaud them taking the Toulouse game to Magic Weekend as we need more exposure for the game to bring in more money so we are using our marketability for the improvement of the game. Proud of my team here folks!

If (read "when" as i'm trying to be nice here but it's hard) we make it to SL there will be new issues that come up. Perez and co already stated they will need to look at venue options as Lamport in it's current state inst sufficient. Will we get a new stadium somewhere outside of town, will we use BMO, will we be full or partial owners of Lamport and have more of a say in the scheduling and redevelopment of the ground? All thing that have already been though of and are being discussed.

Enjoy the show folks and worry about where home opener for SL in 2019 will be another time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My main disappointment is that the club which based its initial success upon great PR and savvy marketing is so silent about this. Either nip the negativity in the bud by pre-empting it or maybe even spin it into a positive. This is so unlike the chracteristics of the club that won over massive support in the UK that this silence alone is worrying.

• Like 10

27 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

My main disappointment is that the club which based its initial success upon great PR and savvy marketing is so silent about this. Either nip the negativity in the bud by pre-empting it or maybe even spin it into a positive. This is so unlike the chracteristics of the club that won over massive support in the UK that this silence alone is worrying.

Yep, seems like Perez has left the club and since then there's been nothing but misinformation, confusion and things going wrong. Even the Twitter account seems to have lost the plot, they spent all of November asking for charity donations which is about the worst way to engage with an audience and I think actually lost followers.

3 minutes ago, RoyBoy295 said:

Toronto and Toulouse revamping their grounds at the moment. Maybe they have had a little word in heir ears to be ready to receive an SL slot

No, this work has been scheduled for years.

I wonder if Halifax was supposed to reveal that information yet? If that hadn't happened, then it would still be up in the air, but they are still going to have at least 10 games at home. I don't it's the end of the world or a huge confidence shatter-er like some are making it out to be. Not everything works out, especially when you're dealing with the city on a big project.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheReaper said:

I wonder if Halifax was supposed to reveal that information yet? If that hadn't happened, then it would still be up in the air, but they are still going to have at least 10 games at home. I don't it's the end of the world or a huge confidence shatter-er like some are making it out to be. Not everything works out, especially when you're dealing with the city on a big project.

The problem is the match being played in England. Having an unavailable stadium is a chance to push the brand in new markets with no real risk, as Catalans did in 2006 when their stadium was still being built (and for a few years after, they even played a SL match in Barcelona one year in front of almost 20,000). But instead of going to Hamilton, Ottawa, Montreal or elsewhere, hell even Halifax NS, it seems like Toronto will probably be playing this match at Manchester or Bradford and basically squander the opportunity for growth.

53 minutes ago, RoyBoy295 said:

Toronto and Toulouse revamping their grounds at the moment. Maybe they have had a little word in heir ears to be ready to receive an SL slot

Toulouse maybe,the Lamport upgrade is because TFC II uses the filed along with us. it's not our stadium it's city owned.

Edited by Krzzystuff

4 hours ago, manu266 said:

2017-12-15_8-24-04.jpg.224db24ba643ca00912a9b0e16d87743.jpg

Well it seems these games are guaranteed to be played somewhere in the GTA at least. Any UK fan booking these will get a refund if the game is moved elsewhere.

Maybe there was a bit of impatience among our early visitors that led to this situation. But Wolfpack management was surely a bit slow on things. It was a no brainer to me as soon as you know Lamport is not ready, you take the first 2 games to Hamilton, it's our next Canadian team, no one is using the stadium in April-May, and the Toulouse game to any stadium in Montreal. It costs money I know, but it makes sense, and they would have sold enough tickets anyway. That's like having 3 home openers on the same season.

I'm worried now, because any delay in organizing post-season home games could lead to other lost home games. I can see it coming from miles away. With the fixtures above, we only have only one more guaranteed home game. Hope Wolfpack staff has learned from this and will be faster to react in the future.

The prices above are lead in prices only. Please remember this all Championship Clubs.

Not Just Travel is The Only Travel Provider for Championship Clubs wishing to travel to Toulouse/ Toronto and indeed any other holiday destinations. Run by myself, a passionate rugby league supporter who has the supporter at the heart of all trips.

When you like and share my FB page and Quote your team name when speaking with us, you will receive some extra gift when booking any packages in the future.

Not Just Travel/ Daniel Dobranski