What Initiatives Have Clubs Delivered To Get More Bums On Seats?

For two seasons, the Sharks have had a dance festival for one of their rounds.

Last season saw a sell out crowd (including corporates) of over 20k (approx 33% above season average) for a game which included a HT dance festival.

In 2017 this fixture also represented the clubs fourth largest ever match day merchandise sales.

In other sport, my Bombers are genius at this with annual events including the Anzac Day match against the ‘Pies expecting over 80k attendees annually and Dreamtime at the ‘G’ against the Tigers regularly drawing well over 60k.

To be honest all SL clubs play at this. Wigan probably promote their games best but have to by being tenants. My own club Warrington try things and just don't persist and move onto something new. Some good ideas have been tried but the people in control aren't good enough. You need to understand what the public wants and our clubs think a winning team is the be all and end. When we need to push the whole day out and the game as just a part of it. 

Batley do lots of initiatives to promote games. Last hear there was a Jo Cox memorial game, and a "pink" weekend amongst others.

There are other initiatives such as deals for super league and other clubs season ticket holders.

The aim is to try to attract both home fans and fans of other clubs, away fans and neutrals. 

Wigan often do a “Big one” game and discount a lot in sectors that don’t go to RL matches (and I believe they discount to schools as well). Usually on a match that isn’t going to get much of any away support. 

in addition to this they also do a lot of work in and around the community to keep the visibility of the club high. 

Now if we can play some half decent rugby this year we’ll do ok. 

13 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

For two seasons, the Sharks have had a dance festival for one of their rounds.

Last season saw a sell out crowd (including corporates) of over 20k (approx 33% above season average) for a game which included a HT dance festival.

In 2017 this fixture also represented the clubs fourth largest ever match day merchandise sales.

In other sport, my Bombers are genius at this with annual events including the Anzac Day match against the ‘Pies expecting over 80k attendees annually and Dreamtime at the ‘G’ against the Tigers regularly drawing well over 60k.

You seriously support Cronulla and Essendon ? 2013-2014 must have been tough lol.

Best thing a club can do to put bums on seats is win and play a style that appeals to the fans , other than that good luck.

31 minutes ago, RabbitRhinoovOZ said:

You seriously support Cronulla and Essendon ? 2013-2014 must have been tough lol.

Best thing a club can do to put bums on seats is win and play a style that appeals to the fans , other than that good luck.

Yep, you can count 2015 in that as well. I'm hoping the Bombers follow the Sharks and come in for a big run in 2018.

No doubt wins and style will get you consistent numbers but it is far from the only influencer. Community engagement is massive.

But I was more trying to learn more about any one offs or annual initiatives that clubs do to get big numbers through the gates for one game.

2 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

But I was more trying to learn more about any one offs or annual initiatives that clubs do to get big numbers through the gates for one game.

Hull usually wait until the fixtures are released and check what date they play Rovers. Erm......that's about it.

rldfsignature.jpg

In the U.K. Where there are an abundance of repeat fixtures in a season, match day initiatives are even more imperative than in the NRL. 

The lack of fixture exclusivity (as in, your club may play another at home on 4 occasions in a season and potentially on another 2 occasions away from home, not unlikely for the two top teams drawing each other in Magic and the Cup) devalues the product. Therefore added value is required or the glamour will continue to diminish.

1 minute ago, Sports Prophet said:

In the U.K. Where there are an abundance of repeat fixtures in a season, match day initiatives are even more imperative than in the NRL. 

The lack of fixture exclusivity (as in, your club may play another at home on 4 occasions in a season and potentially on another 2 occasions away from home, not unlikely for the two top teams drawing each other in Magic and the Cup) devalues the product. Therefore added value is required or the glamour will continue to diminish.

When Rovers were out of SL and derbies were in short supply there was an air of anticipation for the first one when they finally reached the promised land. A bumper gate at the KC ensued. Since then gates for derbies at the KCom have dropped markedly because they are no longer a special event for the reasons you have outlined. Derbies eh, just like buses.

rldfsignature.jpg

A great initiative SL clubs could adopt is to stop loosing there best players to the NRL and RU, Your never going to grow your support base when it's common knowledge just about every great player your club will ever unearth will explore other options in what he views as greener pastures.

14 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

When Rovers were out of SL and derbies were in short supply there was an air of anticipation for the first one when they finally reached the promised land. A bumper gate at the KC ensued. Since then gates for derbies at the KCom have dropped markedly because they are no longer a special event for the reasons you have outlined. Derbies eh, just like buses.

Funny how there always well attended in the NRL, I hang out for the Hull derby, Wigan v Saints and used to love Leeds V Bulls.

51 minutes ago, redjonn said:

I guess games being in mid week are more of a challenge to create such event driven initiatives....   it limits the possibilities given the times but of course can still do something.

Apart from Thursdays John, who chose to play the majority of their games on a weeknight?

rldfsignature.jpg

1 hour ago, RabbitRhinoovOZ said:

A great initiative SL clubs could adopt is to stop loosing there best players to the NRL and RU, Your never going to grow your support base when it's common knowledge just about every great player your club will ever unearth will explore other options in what he views as greener pastures.

Another stupid comment. Market forces and ambition dictate where players end up. I bet your boss loved you. "Keep him on minimum wages, he'll love it."

rldfsignature.jpg

10 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Would it be too much to ask for clubs to get the word out via social media etc when they are playing at home and against who and with the kick off times. Match day awareness is not one of Rugby Leagues strong points and it needs to be.

Not rocket science is it, they could even ask people to share the fb post and offer something free for a randomly chosen winner, loads of companies do this

2 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Apart from Thursdays John, who chose to play the majority of their games on a weeknight?

I just thinking SL too be honest... Leeds for example,... Fridays being preferred I guess in their view for maximising corporate/hospitality. Other SL clubs seem to have results on a Friday too.    Moving some games to weekends to create a different approach is of course an option.

I guess I fell into the trap and thinking SL as distinct from broader

16 minutes ago, redjonn said:

I just thinking SL too be honest... Leeds for example,... Fridays being preferred I guess in their view for maximising corporate/hospitality. Other SL clubs seem to have results on a Friday too.    Moving some games to weekends to create a different approach is of course an option.

I guess I fell into the trap and thinking SL as distinct from broader

That's an understandable thought John seeing as SL is the flagship competition in this country. The vast majority of SL clubs have now decided Friday night is their usual match day.

rldfsignature.jpg

Archived