Sign in to follow this  
Manfred Mann

The PNG influx

So far four players from the PNG Kumuls have been purchased by Super League clubs:

Kato Ottio and Wellington Albert (Widnes)

David Mead (Catalans)

Garry Lo (Castleford)

They join the existing Championship duo of Menzie Yere and Mark Mexico (Sheffield)

There should have been more.

Justin Olam is a lightning fast centre or winger, playing for the feeder team of Melbourne Storm.

Watson Boas and Asa Boas are talented halves with the PNG Hunters.

Stanton Albert, the brother of Wellington Albert, is also a good value prop.

Willy Minonga is a good back rower.

Depriving the PNG Hunters of many of their current stars would not be a bad thing,. because it will create an opportunity for these stars to compete in a more professional and demanding environment under good coaches, and it will also allow equally talented PNG players to replace them at the Hunters, thereby increasing the PNG's professional playing pool.

Edited by Manfred Mann
  • Like 8

15 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Depriving the PNG Hunters of many of their current stars would not be a bad thing,. because it will create an opportunity for these stars to compete in a more professional and demanding environment under good coaches, and it will also allow equally talented PNG players to replace them at the Hunters, thereby increasing the PNG's professional playing pool.

Totally agree. It is important that players with talent such as the above mentioned are signed by professional clubs outside of PNG allowing for the development of more professional players. Hopefully these transitions are successful and thus increase the attractiveness of both SL/NRL clubs signing more PNG players in the future.

1 hour ago, Manfred Mann said:

So far four players from the PNG Kumuls have been purchased by Super League clubs:

David Mead (Catalans)

Garry Lo (Castleford)

They join the existing Championship duo of Menzie Yere and Mark Mexico (Sheffield)

There should have been more.

Justin Olam is a lightning fast centre or winger, playing for the feeder team of Melbourne Storm.

Watson Boas and Asa Boas are talented halves with the PNG Hunters.

Stanton Albert, the brother of Wellington Albert, is also a good value prop.

Willy Minonga is a good back rower.

You’d also expect to see the likes of Moses meninga and stargoth amean to make the next step up. Sure it would hurt the hunters in the short term but like you say it would create space and openings for other kumuls playing in the digicel cup to take their place.

I think it is much easier to obtain UK Visas for players playing in official international competitions. That is why some of the PNG boys are getting a gig in SL I reckon.

Employment laws and immigration requirements apply equally to sportsmen as they do to any other professions, limiting the opportunity for most of these players to develop in British RL. On the plus side, if they turned out to be any good when playing here they would soon be snaffled up by Aussie clubs, so why do their work for them?

I watched the "In the Dugout" video on the Doncaster forum and Carl Hall reckons PNG players had to have played at least six full international games before they can apply to play in the UK.

6 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

The PNG Hunters are not a normal club created to win premierships.  They were created as a development tool as a pathway for PNG players to make their way into the NRL. Super League although not the NRL is still a step up from Queensland cup. Any players signed by English clubs is the Hunters working as intended. 

I have said before more clubs like the Hunters need to be created for other nations, Wales, Scotland, Ireland and France and people tell me there are already clubs in Wales and France, but they are not like the Hunters. The Hunters have only PNG players. None from Australia or anywhere else, they all live together and are paid the same wage. A perfect tool to create a pool of professional players and we saw the benefit from that the last world cup when they monstered some of the nations still fielding armatures. And they are only of QLD cup standard, with fairly basic set up. Imagine if they had the money to be more professional with extra coaches and better training facilities. 

Catalans for example play to win and not be relegated which obviously they need to do in order to survive. Its a shame though. If they had funding from the French Rugby League to do the same thing as the Hunters using French only players and not be obsessed with relegation the French national team and international Rugby League would be much better of. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, B rad said:

The PNG Hunters are not a normal club created to win premierships.  They were created as a development tool as a pathway for PNG players to make their way into the NRL. Super League although not the NRL is still a step up from Queensland cup. Any players signed by English clubs is the Hunters working as intended. 

I have said before more clubs like the Hunters need to be created for other nations, Wales, Scotland, Ireland and France and people tell me there are already clubs in Wales and France, but they are not like the Hunters. The Hunters have only PNG players. None from Australia or anywhere else, they all live together and are paid the same wage. A perfect tool to create a pool of professional players and we saw the benefit from that the last world cup when they monstered some of the nations still fielding armatures. And they are only of QLD cup standard, with fairly basic set up. Imagine if they had the money to be more professional with extra coaches and better training facilities. 

Catalans for example play to win and not be relegated which obviously they need to do in order to survive. Its a shame though. If they had funding from the French Rugby League to do the same thing as the Hunters using French only players and not be obsessed with relegation the French national team and international Rugby League would be much better of. 

Indeed. In an ideal world you'd like to see a large turnover of players at the hunters every season with players leaving for either the NRL, super league or championship sides. I still think the hunters and the PNGRL are missing a trick by not pushing for youth teams to play against other Queensland cup sides at u18&u20 levels.

8 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

Indeed. In an ideal world you'd like to see a large turnover of players at the hunters every season with players leaving for either the NRL, super league or championship sides. I still think the hunters and the PNGRL are missing a trick by not pushing for youth teams to play against other Queensland cup sides at u18&u20 levels.

I think they have barely enough money to do what they are doing. They are funded by PNGRL and the PNG government. The PNGRL couldn't even afford to fly Garry Lo back to England and I think were a man down in their squad. They won the QLD cup premiership, maybe that will help them find a sponsor or 2 and help out with what you suggest. 

I would think PNG players salaries are relatively low for the talent so make a good option for SL where the salary Cap is low.

• Like 1

Visas aside, for me it is a no brainer to sign PNG players. I'm surprised that more haven't played in the English game. The above join the likes of Wilshere, Aizue, Lam and Gene amongst others.

1 hour ago, B rad said:

I think they have barely enough money to do what they are doing. They are funded by PNGRL and the PNG government. The PNGRL couldn't even afford to fly Garry Lo back to England and I think were a man down in their squad. They won the QLD cup premiership, maybe that will help them find a sponsor or 2 and help out with what you suggest. 

It's been said numerous times before but it's about time that the multinational mining companies and oil&gas corporations started too dip their hands in their pockets to support RL in PNG more.

9 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

David Mead (Catalans)

Garry Lo (Castleford)

There's also Jessie Joe Parker and the very talented Dion Aiye at Whitehaven.

5 minutes ago, Derwent said:

There's also Jessie Joe Parker and the very talented Dion Aiye at Whitehaven.

Is Jason Tali still knocking about??

Just now, deluded pom? said:

Yes, he's at Doncaster.

Wasn’t quite sure as he switched codes whilst at Newcastle Thunder.

2 hours ago, walter sobchak said:

Is Jason Tali still knocking about??

Yeah he's at us (Donny) he had a decent season last season in a side which hardly ever gave the ball to our centres or wingers. Idd expect him this season playing under Horne, who will play a much more expansive game to have a even better season. 

So we now have more PNG players than ever playing in Britain, and the same (probably) goes for French players too. Interesting times for our game.

8 hours ago, Futtocks said:

So we now have more PNG players than ever playing in Britain, and the same (probably) goes for French players too. Interesting times for our game.

But where are all the players going to come form for expansion teams? Oh wait...whet are all the guys they replaced doing? Any ore Kumuls want a crack at the RLF? Fiji, Tonga you up for it too?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

But where are all the players going to come form for expansion teams? Oh wait...whet are all the guys they replaced doing? Any ore Kumuls want a crack at the RLF? Fiji, Tonga you up for it too?

Ah , but , these are Championship players , no shortage of them , its the SL variety you cant find anywhere these days 

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Ah , but , these are Championship players , no shortage of them , its the SL variety you cant find anywhere these days 

I know its tough...they are all moving to Canada.

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Baptiste is an NRL player.

5 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Well someone will get relegated from SL so i guess we can swap some SL players for Champ players...life goes on right? Also the opening thread literally mentions 4 joining SL teams?

On 12/17/2017 at 11:21 AM, Scubby said:

I think it is much easier to obtain UK Visas for players playing in official international competitions. That is why some of the PNG boys are getting a gig in SL I reckon.

Yes, you need to have played a certain number of NRL games in the past 2 years, and/or a certain number of internationals. Similar restrictions on coaches.