Sign in to follow this  
Abicus

Fiji Sun: Denver Test scrapped, NZ to play Fiji in Sydney June 2018

Recommended Posts

Source: https://fijisun.com.fj/2017/12/19/confirmed-bati-v-nz-2/

Quote

SYDNEY TEST:   Vodafone Fijian Bati to face the Kiwis in June, next year. Also talks underway to get Tonga here in October.

Two big Test matches have been lined-up for the Vodafone Fijian Bati rugby league side next year.

Fiji National Rugby League (FNRL) board chairman Filimoni Vosarogo indicated to SUNsports yesterday that already confirmed is the June clash against New Zealand in Sydney, Australia.

He said this is an official Test match which will be an interesting clash especially after the Bati scored an upset 4-2 win over the Kiwis at the recent Rugby League World Cup.

“With the recent rankings released by the Rugby League International Federation, the Kiwis are ranked at number 2 while we’re at number five,” the Suva-based lawyer said.

“If we’re able to beat New Zealand again next year then we’ll push them down the rankings and we can go up.”

Vosarogo pointed out that FNRL has already sent an initial request and also a proposal to the National Rugby League (NRL) over next year’s 25th anniversary celebration of rugby league in the country.

“If you remember last year the Fiji Bati side played a Test match against Toa Samoa in Apia to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the sport in Samoa.

“Similarly for our 25th anniversary, we’re requesting NRL if we could play Tonga at the ANZ Stadium in Suva in October, next year.”

Vosarogo said the clash between the two Pacific Islands teams could be deemed as the 3rd/ 4th place playoffs of the 2017 Rugby League World Cup.

The Fijians were beaten 54-6 by eventual World Cup winners Australia in the first semifinal while Tonga bowed out with a close 18-20 loss to England in the other semifinal.

The Tongan cried foul after a controversial decision by the referee is disallowing an Andrew Fifita try right on full-time.

If the Test clash is approved then it’s an opportunity for local rugby league fans to watch top Tongan players like Fifita, Michael Jennings, Daniel Tupou and Jason Taumalolo playing here.

England to not play a Test Match until, um October 2018 then? Someone wheel out France for a Mid Season Test with UK only based players?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If true, it looks like the NRL clubs have no issues with even more NRL players risking injury etc than if NZ played England.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I imagine they were more concerned about the ‘jetlag’ rather than the risk of injury. Or maybe it’s because the English based NRL players ar deemed too important to their clubs (I.e St George and Canberra based on their recent comments).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the surface, staging in Sydney seems like an odd decision considering the close proximity of either New Zealand or Fiji to Australia for players to travel. However crowds in New Zealand have been poor and having a friendly against Fiji, who'll most likely be without Hayne due to Origin, wouldn't ignite the excitement. A test in Fiji would probably result in a financial loss. Staging it in Sydney suggests a double header with Samoa vs Tonga thus guaranteeing a decent crowd which makes it the logical decision  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jace said:

On the surface, staging in Sydney seems like an odd decision considering the close proximity of either New Zealand or Fiji to Australia for players to travel. However crowds in New Zealand have been poor and having a friendly against Fiji, who'll most likely be without Hayne due to Origin, wouldn't ignite the excitement. A test in Fiji would probably result in a financial loss. Staging it in Sydney suggests a double header with Samoa vs Tonga thus guaranteeing a decent crowd which makes it the logical decision  

You must be Hayne's agent. I can't imagine anyone else who would make that statement.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading the article it does say it was indicated to the newspaper so it isn't actually confirmed yet. Ridiculous situation though that Fiji has to request permission from the NRL to stage a home international match.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

You must be Hayne's agent. I can't imagine anyone else who would make that statement.

He will get into Origin easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Reading the article it does say it was indicated to the newspaper so it isn't actually confirmed yet. Ridiculous situation though that Fiji has to request permission from the NRL to stage a home international match.

I think it may be more an appeal for funds to underwrite the costs involved. When Samoa played Fiji in Fiji back in (2015?) at the end of the year it was paid for by the NRL.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pathetic if true. Not just certain elements of the NRL establishment but the lack of fight from the RFL and NZRL. The sport deserves to be a niche sport with little wider interest anywhere. It will remain so until we get administrators who care about the sport and not their own selfish interests.

  • Like 11
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't...

The NRL clubs have been trying to derail it from day one,the NZRL are in the back pockets of the NRL and Fiji weren't given a Pacific series game for a reason!

England have been well and truly screwed over here!

I think it's time we cast the southern hemisphere aside..sod playing by their rules,sod wondering and waiting for the Aussies to decide who can play and where...AND GOOD LUCK STOPPING A ENGLISHMAN FROM PLAYING FOR HIS COUNTRY!

Edited by roughyedspud

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn't this the same paper and board official who claimed RLWC games would be played in Fiji? I would wait until the NZRL come out and confirm it...

Dear if it is true this game will be at Campbelltown...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Abicus said:

I think it may be more an appeal for funds to underwrite the costs involved. When Samoa played Fiji in Fiji back in (2015?) at the end of the year it was paid for by the NRL.

Exactly. 

Countries like Fiji or NZ will never be able to schedule matches without the NRL if they continue to rely on NRL for funds. They need to find a way to create their own revenue so the responsibility of scheduling International matches isn't with the NRL but with themselves. Until then, the teams really, are in no position to complain about the way NRL schedule their matches.

This is and should be an RLIF responsibility. Where TF are they in all of this? Aren't they responsible for the International game? What is a point of them existing in the first place if International's are in the hands of a club competition. The incompetence of the RLIF is unbelievable. All they do is sit back and let the NRL, RLF and other governing bodies do all their work, while their hands are out, ready to collect their cut at the end of it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RLfave said:

Exactly. 

Countries like Fiji or NZ will never be able to schedule matches without the NRL if they continue to rely on NRL for funds. They need to find a way to create their own revenue so the responsibility of scheduling International matches isn't with the NRL but with themselves. Until then, the teams really, are in no position to complain about the way NRL schedule their matches.

This is and should be an RLIF responsibility. Where TF are they in all of this? Aren't they responsible for the International game? What is a point of them existing in the first place if International's are in the hands of a club competition. The incompetence of the RLIF is unbelievable. All they do is sit back and let the NRL, RLF and other governing bodies do all their work, while their hands are out, ready to collect their cut at the end of it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The RLIF is the NRL/SL. They only have 1 full time employee who is independent and he’s leaving in May (because of the politics)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

The RLIF is the NRL/SL. They only have 1 full time employee who is independent and he’s leaving in May (because of the politics)

It's still on paper, a separate governing body from NRL and SL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, RLfave said:

It's still on paper, a separate governing body from NRL and SL.

Yes but that is far removed from the reality

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spidey said:

WTF are NZ doing playing a test in Sydney?

The game is run by idiots

Indeed.

People in Sydney barely turn out to watch Australia play.

But, as Scubby says, this is not confirmed.  A newspaper article is not hard evidence.

Edited by Bob8
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Pathetic if true. Not just certain elements of the NRL establishment but the lack of fight from the RFL and NZRL. The sport deserves to be a niche sport with little wider interest anywhere. It will remain so until we get administrators who care about the sport and not their own selfish interests.

This. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If New Zealand play Fiji in Sydney next year, I won't be supporting international Rugby League any more.

I'll find something more worthwhile to spend my money on.

I'm good with concessions as a means to an end - things like staging games in neutral territory as no other alternative, or heritage players etc. but not this nonsense.

It was bad enough that England played Samoa in Sydney last year, but I' fast losing interest.

  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Dave T said:

If New Zealand play Fiji in Sydney next year, I won't be supporting international Rugby League any more.

I'll find something more worthwhile to spend my money on.

I'm good with concessions as a means to an end - things like staging games in neutral territory as no other alternative, or heritage players etc. but not this nonsense.

It was bad enough that England played Samoa in Sydney last year, but I' fast losing interest.

The self interest is killimg it for me. Most competitive world cup ever on the field and the follow up has been nothing short of depressing. Watching so much potential be waved right in front of the administrator's faces only for them to say "that's nice, good ideas and all but we're going to stick with what works for us and keep Internationals in their little box out of the way.. but you get another NZ tour of England and the GB jersey back, be grateful".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday



Rugby League World - Online 28 Jun - July 2018

Rugby League World - July 2018 - Out Fri 29 Jun

Rugby League Books On Sale Here