Southerner80

Who misses professional winter rugby

Just saying there's a lack of RL on TV right now. Having championship and below as winter leagues would solve this. 

I'm left to rely on union for entertainment in December and January... Never the most reliable option at club level. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Two thoughts, S80.

From a spectators point of view (ie actually at the game), winter rugby may not be a good idea, compared to sunning yourself on a balmy, late spring or early summer evening.  And you do need a crowd actually at the game to create the atmosphere for telly-watchers like me and you.

Second, with most of my interests, I actually like a break.  The appetite is duly whetted for when activity resumes.  For me, that's true of watching RL, playing table tennis, and singing in or directing choirs - whatever, the break's good!

So, no, I for one don't miss professional rugby league just now.

• Like 1

I miss it but I only have to wait a few more months until the Green Machine starts up again.

I hope we eventually get a summer 9s circuit here in Australia.

Not in the slightest. Back in the day I/we didn’t know any better. Even thinking about winter RL makes me shudder.

As a supporter of  Championship club, yes I miss it considerably. Switching to a summer game has created no discernible benefit for the clubs at this level and has also contributed to the erosion of the "RL habit" amongst many followers. In winter it was the default entertainment for the majority of us; in summer there are so many competing attractions.

However, it is now too late to turn back the clock as the damage has already been done. The majority of today's players will have known nothing but the summer game and would be unlikely to take kindly to a switch to winter.

I don't watch union.

• Like 5

After a while of the pro game switching seasons I got used to it, but must say, I do miss watching the community game in the winter months, especially in the youth and NCL fixtures.

It is also noticable that the numbers watching these games seem to have gone down over time since Summer became the norm, as Blind side Johnny says, to many other distractions to contend with, and that also seems from the playing aspect as well as the watching.

47 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

In winter it was the default entertainment for the majority of us; in summer there are so many competing attractions.

And there weren't as many competing attractions when the game was played in winter?

Besides, that majority of you (whoever you were) that you mention were an insignificant number. Otherwise you would have saved the game from summer rugby.

I do. I like cricket and walking, two summer activities with which RL now has to compete for my time, attention and disposable income. I can't be the only one! Not always sure whether this is a blessing or a curse, but RL's switch to a spring/summer season means I now watch a fair bit of RU between September and March.

Edited by Hopping Mad

14 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

Just saying there's a lack of RL on TV right now. Having championship and below as winter leagues would solve this. 

Writing as a Bradford Bulls fan, I would not welcome the prospect of trailing out to Odsal Stadium in the depths of winter, just so you could sit at home watching it on TV, all nice and warm and cosy.

And in any case, which TV stations are queuing up to broadcast Championship and League 1 games in winter?

Just enjoy the break.

Watching a bit of rugby union will only make you appreciate RL even more when it returns in February. ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Winter rugby was of its era, played by teams of mixed full-timers and semi-pros on muddy pitches; I preferred it. Though I was an aficionado. I don't think we would have such a big proportion of female followers at Odsal these days if we were still playing that game.

We have also turned a bit soft; nowadays games in February are regarded as challenge to spectator comfort, rather than being the norm. In fact, I'd like the season to run April to October and do away with the convoluted playoff systems. Two conferences of 16 teams; each conference divided into two regions. Regional teams play same-region teams home and way plus one game against each of the other region's teams. The two overall conference winners  then compete in the grand final

2 hours ago, Mister Ting said:

And there weren't as many competing attractions when the game was played in winter?

Besides, that majority of you (whoever you were) that you mention were an insignificant number. Otherwise you would have saved the game from summer rugby.

No there weren't, and those competing attractions have tempted many away. Your logic is tortuous in the extreme by the way, do try harder.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Konkrete said:

Some rose tinted glasses here.  'Summer' rugby was a massive step forward for the game.

Not below SL it wasn't.

Some interesting views here. Definitely think a winter league has some merit but get what people say about as it's been so long that ship may have sailed.

I'm too young to remember winter rugby league but I don't think it would be a good idea having our season during union and the middle of the football season as well as American Football. 

The thought of traveling to Belle Vue and Wheldon Road in winter as well makes me depressed

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

I'm too young to remember winter rugby league but I don't think it would be a good idea having our season during union and the middle of the football season as well as American Football. 

The thought of traveling to Belle Vue and Wheldon Road in winter as well makes me depressed

You hav'nt been molly coddled all your life by any chance have you?

• Haha 1

I wouldn’t like to see a switch back to winter from the perspective of a punter.

I think the action on the pitch is better now and there’s something great about being able to view it in pleasant balmy conditions.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

there’s something great about being able to view it in pleasant balmy conditions.

Ah, a fellow Odsal fan.:)

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, John Drake said:

Watching a bit of rugby union will only make you appreciate RL even more when it returns in February. ;)

And that bit could as short as 5 minutes from the few times I've tried to watch Union.

• Haha 1