Sign in to follow this  
NickWeaver

Leigh threaten to bar Premier Sports

12 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Yes I’m sure the North American market is worth a fortune to the likes of Dewsbury, Barrow, Batley etc

Some of you live in fantasy land on here.

Well said, I'm honestly amazed by some of these opinions.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Copa said:

Ask their kit and ground sponsors if they’d like the exposure. 

You clearly have no idea about the sponsorship base of the Championship clubs, most are sponsored by companies based in and around the locality. They have no interest in North America.

But as I said earlier this is all digression - the basic fact is Toronto have sold something that is not theirs to sell. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

Eric Perez does'nt know what he got himself in for. This is a local sport for local people.

And has been the case since the birth of the sport. This is the 21st Century equivalent of not wanting to travel to Aberavon which lost the game Wales. Small minded people make for a small minded game and is why the game struggles, not because of similarly named inferior products. What other sports do to us we do it to ourselves a hundred fold.

Edited by The 4 of Us
  • Like 13

3 minutes ago, East Coast Tiger said:

Toronto have sold something the other clubs have failed to sell.

They have sold TV rights, its just no one bothers to show it on TV.

I'm not sure how they can show UK based championship games. Unless they have got permission from SKY.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Copa said:

The principle of the thing is that they are being offered free exposure in the North American market without paying for it.

They have been handed an unprecedented opportunity to grow and develop their brand. An opportunity that has been provided free of charge by another club. 

To not realise this is absolute stupidity.

This is so funny , I’m sure all those championship directors spend weeks brainstorming about how to break into the lucrative American market  and develop their ‘brand’. There’ll be batley and Swinton shirts everywhere round LA way . Also maybe lower clubs are getting sick of Toronto being so superior , having the authorities bending over backwards for them and doing what they want 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, DavidM said:

This is so funny , I’m sure all those championship directors spend weeks brainstorming about how to break into the lucrative American market 

Nah they're busy brainstorming ways of getting more than 500 fans to their games in the middle of the heartlands. Presumably.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, East Coast Tiger said:

Toronto have sold something the other clubs have failed to sell.

The Championship clubs are forbidden from selling the rights to other broadcasters, Sky bought the rights hence why clubs receive money from the Sky contract. At least get your facts right if you’re going to comment.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Derwent said:

The Championship clubs are forbidden from selling the rights to other broadcasters, Sky bought the rights hence why clubs receive money from the Sky contract. At least get your facts right if you’re going to comment.

I was thinking that, could a club even accept a payment from Premier or a Candian production company. 

Do we know if Premier have reached sn agreement with Sky over this particular game?

1 minute ago, Derwent said:

The clubs sold those rights did they? Or was it the rfl?

And if they can't sell them why is Beaumont asking for exactly that?

The fact that even the rights holders don't want to show these clubs is pretty telling. Better prevent anyone being on TV I guess.

14 minutes ago, Newcastle Thunder said:

3A22A860-2B10-4511-B633-19A270F3B17C.jpeg.3d599928b2b3279481cac2bbae3a4ea6.jpeg

had to pinch that idea for my twitter account :)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Derwent said:

You clearly have no idea about the sponsorship base of the Championship clubs, most are sponsored by companies based in and around the locality. They have no interest in North America.

But as I said earlier this is all digression - the basic fact is Toronto have sold something that is not theirs to sell. 

Imagine who they could get as a sponsor if they had increased exposure.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

I was thinking that, could a club even accept a payment from Premier or a Candian production company. 

They probably could if Sky had made a commercial agreement with Premier to allow it. 

Lets look at this another way. When the Sky contract ends let’s imagine Leeds announce that they have unilaterally sold the rights to all of their games to BT. The likes of Wigan, Saints etc would quite rightly say we want a share of the money for games played at our stadium as it takes 2 teams for there to be a product to sell. And most people would agree with them.

But because this is Toronto then people use it as an excuse to condemn Championship clubs. It’s pathetic.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Copa said:

Imagine who they could get as a sponsor if they had increased exposure.

Yes one game a year on TV channels hardly anyone watches will have the multi-nationals forming a queue.

21 minutes ago, East Coast Tiger said:

Nah they're busy brainstorming ways of getting more than 500 fans to their games in the middle of the heartlands. Presumably.

Yes they really do , and lots of other realistic ways to survive and earn revenue 

• Like 1

Just now, Derwent said:

Yes one game a year on TV channels hardly anyone watches will have the multi-nationals forming a queue.

Everyone starts at the beginning. A club doesn’t go from the local carpet shop to Nike in one step. But they have to take steps to get to Nike.

Regardless, Leigh’s main sponsor has said on Twitter that while the ultimate decision is up to other parties they’d like the game to be broadcast.

• Like 6

If sky own the rights are Toronto outside this and can sell their games unilaterally? Can other teams look to do this . Just interesting where sky come into this if they’ve paid the money , however they don’t use what they’ve paid for 

1 hour ago, Sick39ed said:

No they are just jealous that Toronto are stealing their best players!

Stealing the players we had from 2 years ago?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DavidM said:

If sky own the rights are Toronto outside this and can sell their games unilaterally? Can other teams look to do this . Just interesting where sky come into this if they’ve paid the money , however they don’t use what they’ve paid for 

I suppose it may be something to do with Toronto like Catalan are not RFL member's.

I’m sure the proviso of Toronto being in the league and being self funded was their ability to sell rights home or away. 

Why Beaumont wants to kick up a fuss is anybody’s guess, I suppose with Koukash having a lower profile nowadays he thinks he can fill his shoes for a bit

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

The fact that Toronto have a partnership with an airline makes a bit of a statement.

What are the wolf pack selling that isn't theirs exactly? They are selling rugby league, and they have the brass neck to want to sell it beyond rust belt northern England. You are right. These people must be stopped. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1