Sign in to follow this  
NickWeaver

Leigh threaten to bar Premier Sports

1 hour ago, Derwent said:

They probably could if Sky had made a commercial agreement with Premier to allow it. 

Lets look at this another way. When the Sky contract ends let’s imagine Leeds announce that they have unilaterally sold the rights to all of their games to BT. The likes of Wigan, Saints etc would quite rightly say we want a share of the money for games played at our stadium as it takes 2 teams for there to be a product to sell. And most people would agree with them.

But because this is Toronto then people use it as an excuse to condemn Championship clubs. It’s pathetic.

Sorry Derwent, it’s a ridiculous and small minded stance to take. Toronto already don’t take any central funds (how much have Leigh had this year?). They also pay and put up every team that visits. Just because they have the nous and ability to negotiate their own tv deal, for a club like Leigh to hinder that is just petty. 

Give Toronto central funding and not to cover the costs of visiting clubs and I’m sure they’ll only be too happy to share the proceeds of the TV deal

No wonder the game stuggles to grow it’s footprint 

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Derwent said:

It’s the principle of the thing. Toronto have the right to sell the TV rights to their home games but they do not have any right to sell other clubs’ games, especially if not sharing the money with them. If Premier want to show Toronto’s away games then they should negotiate collectively with the UK based clubs for those rights.

Whenever people cite principles, it is a good sign they have no decent argument.

Still, if it really is the principle, Derek will be happy with a token sum of one pound.

Otherwise, he will is trying to see how much money he can shake out of them.

Edited by Bob8
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Sorry Derwent, it’s a ridiculous and small minded stance to take. Toronto already don’t take any central funds (how much have Leigh had this year?). They also pay and put up every team that visits. Just because they have the nous and ability to negotiate their own tv deal, for a club like Leigh to hinder that is just petty. 

Give Toronto central funding and not to cover the costs of visiting clubs and I’m sure they’ll only be too happy to share the proceeds of the TV deal

No wonder the game stuggles to grow it’s footprint 

Quite.

• Haha 1

I got he old abacus out...now let me see here....broadcast game (click,..click)...free international/national exposure (click,click,click)....giving free trip to NA +expenses (click)...bringing a wanted product to market which increases the gate (click, click click)...Okay I've got it.

Leigh will pay Toronto $500, 000 (CDN) or we will not televise their game free for them.  Thats the final figure and we won't budge.  Even though it will cost us dough we will stand by our previous commitments to them since we are an honourable team and stand by our word.

This is an important time for our club and the entire League..we will not be bullied or intimidated.  IfLeigh has the right to do this it simply does not make it the right thing to do (if they don't see this there is no sense trying to argue with a stop sign).

Call their bluff and don't televise the game under any circumstances...TWP will then move on to bigger and better things...we don't think small or petty...just another bump on our journey to Superleague...we will overcome it.

I wish Leigh all the best but they are cutting off their nose to spite  their face...we want none of it...its not our style and we don't give in to bullies.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD TWP TELEVISE THIS GAME UNLESS THEY PAY US $500, 000 (CDN)...FULL STOP...END OF CONVERSATION!

• Like 3

I assume that Toronto/Premier Sports have made an arrangement with Sky, who own the broadcast rights. If so, Leigh have already been paid for this match, via the Sky contract.

The difference is that it will actually be broadcast. This doubles the times Leigh will be on TV (before the Middle Eights, at least). I have trouble seeing a negative in that.

It just seems such a counter-productive stance to take.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I assume that Toronto/Premier Sports have made an arrangement with Sky, who own the broadcast rights. If so, Leigh have already been paid for this match, via the Sky contract.

The difference is that it will actually be broadcast. This doubles the times Leigh will be on TV (before the Middle Eights, at least). I have trouble seeing a negative in that.

It just seems such a counter-productive stance to take.

That is too much like common sense for RL mate.

2 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

I don't understand. Are Premier showing all TW games or just their home games like last year?

Premier showed all of TWP's games last year Matt, home and away except for the Challenge Cup matches.

6 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Premier showed all of TWP's games last year Matt, home and away except for the Challenge Cup matches.

So they did, I remember now.

The Championship clubs are forbidden from selling the rights to other broadcasters, Sky bought the rights hence why clubs receive money from the Sky contract. At least get your facts right if you’re going to comment.

And how did it go when you tried to sell the rights independently?

They failed to do so.  So, this deal is actually teem getting more money.  And still you want to complain and play the fading, Isabella Duncan victim, snowflake role.

Good grief.

• Confused 1

They probably could if Sky had made a commercial agreement with Premier to allow it. 

Lets look at this another way. When the Sky contract ends let’s imagine Leeds announce that they have unilaterally sold the rights to all of their games to BT. The likes of Wigan, Saints etc would quite rightly say we want a share of the money for games played at our stadium as it takes 2 teams for there to be a product to sell. And most people would agree with them.

But because this is Toronto then people use it as an excuse to condemn Championship clubs. It’s pathetic.

Again, the Chapmionship clubs have previously tried to get a better deal on the market.  They failed.  That TWP succeeded does should not mean you get to sulk and play the fragile snowflake.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, The 4 of Us said:

And has been the case since the birth of the sport. This is the 21st Century equivalent of not wanting to travel to Aberavon which lost the game Wales. Small minded people make for a small minded game and is why the game struggles, not because of similarly named inferior products. What other sports do to us we do it to ourselves a hundred fold.

Entirely agree - we are hindered by external influences but the game’s biggest threat is the self-interested/insular mindset of its administrators and club owners.

4 hours ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

Do Premier Sports pay any ‘match fee’ to home teams like Sky do for each game they show live? If not I don’t blame Derek, as annoying as it is.

It's a deal between TWP and the league so Mr. Scrooge can ###### off. Guessing he's burnt through the $500K already? Our portion of allocation money not enough or is he going to give that back?

3 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

I don't understand. Are Premier showing all TW games or just their home games like last year?

We got all of their games in Canada and thought you guys did too?

1 minute ago, NickWeaver said:

I guess the Wolfpack could give him the money than request that he arrange his teams own travel and hotels in Toronto that would only be fair.

The Wolfpack never goes back on its word...the Pack never wavers...the Pack isn't some two bit organization...we will do what we say we will do.

"You Can Depend On The Pack!"

• Like 1

The Championship clubs are forbidden from selling the rights to other broadcasters, Sky bought the rights hence why clubs receive money from the Sky contract. At least get your facts right if you’re going to comment.

Again Derek doesn't get an input. It's between higher powers like the league, SKY and TWP.

It's always the little dogs that make the most noise...settle down foo foo

Edited by Krzzystuff
  • Like 1

I'm quite sure had sky sold some of the rights to premier then "the Derek" would be aware of this and there would have been no statement to make. For them to turn up and use the facilities at lsv is quite an expense in itself. Do we ask for a payment? Will they just turn up at other championship clubs and start televising the matches without paying for it? Premier sports generate,like all other broadcasters,a hell of a lot of money through advertisers,so we are saying clubs shouldn't recieve  money off them yet they should make ridiculous amounts of money from their advertisers/sponsors etc? Or should they pay for the product?

3 hours ago, Derwent said:

It’s the principle of the thing. Toronto have the right to sell the TV rights to their home games but they do not have any right to sell other clubs’ games, especially if not sharing the money with them. If Premier want to show Toronto’s away games then they should negotiate collectively with the UK based clubs for those rights.

I am still amused by the idea that Beumont is being principled, and I am used to Derwent making wild claims.

How touchingly sweet, for him not to think it might have something to do with TWP and similar clubs getting to SL might undermine his own ambitions for Leigh.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

I'm quite sure had sky sold some of the rights to premier then "the Derek" would be aware of this and there would have been no statement to make. For them to turn up and use the facilities at lsv is quite an expense in itself. Do we ask for a payment? Will they just turn up at other championship clubs and start televising the matches without paying for it? Premier sports generate,like all other broadcasters,a hell of a lot of money through advertisers,so we are saying clubs shouldn't recieve  money off them yet they should make ridiculous amounts of money from their advertisers/sponsors etc? Or should they pay for the product?

You got it right again JD!...the price is $500 000 (US dollars) or we are not televising free for Leigh...this Beaumont character seems like a real piece of work...guys like him don't want to be in a back alley with guys like me...they have a way of finding the ground QUICK!

I'm minded to agree that Toronto shouldn't have any right to sell or independently arrange UK tv coverage of away games. However I'm also minded to think that Derek Beaumont is a loudmouth chancer. So I'm a little stuck. 

However the key issue here is that these rights have already been bought by Sky. Do Sky have the right to sell them on? Possibly. Do they have the right to sell them on without reference to the governing body? Don't know. Would Premier pay any more than a pittance for them anyway? Doubtful. 

It's a situation that needs clarifying but since Leigh have already been paid for tv rights if the above process has been properly followed its possibly out of their control, albeit unusual.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

Again Derek doesn't get an input. It's between higher powers like the league, SKY and TWP.

It's always the little dogs that make the most noise...settle down foo foo

I'd hardly consider Toronto a higher power

2 hours ago, East Coast Tiger said:

Nah they're busy brainstorming ways of getting more than 500 fans to their games in the middle of the heartlands. Presumably.

This is a bit scathing of all the championship clubs. A lot have been positive about Toronto. 

Edited by Niels
  • Like 2

The price is  500 000 British Pounds Sterling (whatever that means) or we are not televising Leigh live...as a Championship team they have already received a payment from SuperLeague (their share of the Sky contract): Note: Toronto is the only Championship team to get nothing, so we already bear an undue burden.   They've already been paid once by us.

Plus Leigh got a big payment for being DEMOTED while Toronto got nothing for being PROMOTED.  They have already been paid twice by us.

We will honour all previous commitments to fly them over and host them for free.  They will already be paid thrice by us.

Now asking for this?  Just shows they are a bunch of unappreciative free loading bums...its 500 000 pounds sterling (and Scottish pounds not English ones; whatever this means) FIRM!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spidey said:

I’m sure the proviso of Toronto being in the league and being self funded was their ability to sell rights home or away. 

Why Beaumont wants to kick up a fuss is anybody’s guess, I suppose with Koukash having a lower profile nowadays he thinks he can fill his shoes for a bit.

How can any club have the ability to sell broadcasting rights from another club's ground without that club receiving any form of compensation? I think you must have this wrong.

• Like 2