Sign in to follow this  
johnlancs

League Restructure 2019

I have read a few threads on the 2019 league Restructure (long time reader, first time...for a v long time...poster) and wanted to put across my thoughts.

I would love to see the return of 14 team ft super league, let's take the final league tables of 2018 and this would be the following line up:

Castleford

Leeds

Hull

Salford

Wakefield

St Helens

Wigan

Huddersfield

Warrington

Catalan

Leigh

Widnes

Hull KR

London (finished second in champ)

Below that for me a 10 team championship works best playing each other home and away. This would entail (based on 17 finishing positions)

Halifax

Featherstone

Toulouse

Batley

Sheffield

Dewsbury

Rochdale

Swinton

Toronto

Barrow

League 1

Now personally I would take the current 15 teams (discounting Oxford and Gloucester but including Bristol) and seperate into 3groups of 5. Play home and away (so 8 games) plus another 4 cross over games (so 12 games in total)

Group 1

Whitehaven

Workington

Doncaster

Hunslet

Oldham

Group 2

N.Wales

W.Wales

Bristol

Bradford

Keighley

Group 3

York

Newcastle

London

Hemel

Coventry

Winner of each group goes into the 'playoffs', possibly with winner of French elite league. There are two finals, both played home and away, winner of each final is promoted. Hence two still go up, and two come down to replace them (as groups are not broken up my north, south, east, west etc).

Still keep the lower league cup (who's name escapes me....Northern rail cup?) But scarp the big bash and make it a 9s tournament instead

Basically it's based somewhat on the Spanish football lower leagues.

Finally, for challenge cup I would leave as it is, ie open draw, but would introduce reverse seeding, if there is a one division or more gap between the teams. Or if Wigan draw Whitehaven @ DW, it would be reversed to be played in Cumbria, which would make a far more entertaining spectacle and drum up more interest etc!

Sorry that's a long old post 

• Like 1

Welcome back, John.

There’s some interesting ideas in there certainly.

I think much will depend on the success of Toronto this year both on and off the field as to whether or not they get eased into Super League via franchising.

Interesting thoughts.

10 team championship though with just h and a? So 9 home games?

Not sure i get your league 1 groups? and six home games? 

Personally i prefer simplicity. 3 divisions, two up and two down, each league gets a league champion and grand final. 

• Like 3

League 1 - 12 games in a season, plus a couple more for the group winners??? 

Good luck with that very strange, and financially impossible concept.  And for getting supporters of ANY club - let alone a club like Bradford - to even dream of buying a season ticket (as at least 2.5k already have this time) if the only games they are certain  of seeing are against four other teams and only one local.

Indeed, unless you have forgotten to say what happens in the final few months of the playing season, your proposals for the Championship and League 1 are financial suicide, as well as depriving RL supportrers of a big chunk of their season.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, jannerboyuk said:

Personally i prefer simplicity. 3 divisions, two up and two down, each league gets a league champion and grand final. 

This, this and a thousand times this.

A structure that can be explained in one line, and easily understood by anyone.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

No we can't  have that it's too simple. We need a long drawn out season with each team playing each other at least 10 times  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, westlondonfan said:

My guess is that the Super League will go back to 14 teams but without London but including Toronto and Toulouse.

You have more faith if SL chairmen and the RFL than I do westlondonfan.

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

success of Toronto this year both on and off the field as to whether or not they get eased into Super League via franchising.

If they are successful they won't need to be eased into SL they'll have qualified in their own right, surely?

31 minutes ago, Oxford said:

You have more faith if SL chairmen and the RFL than I do westlondonfan.

If they are successful they won't need to be eased into SL they'll have qualified in their own right, surely?

I agree as I did say, “I think much will depend on the success of Toronto this year both on and off the field as to whether or not they get eased into Super League via franchising.”

That includes the scenario of them not needing to be ‘franchised in’ if they succeed on merit on the pitch.

What I’m suggesting is that both paths to the top flight will be left open for the Wolfpack unless something goes wrong commercially for them.

3 hours ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

No we can't  have that it's too simple. We need a long drawn out season with each team playing each other at least 10 times  

RL does have a contrarian (or innovative?) approach.  It's part of the attraction for some? 

59 minutes ago, Charlie RL said:

RL does have a contrarian (or innovative?) approach.  It's part of the attraction for some? 

If the game is as good as we all think it is why do we need such complex structures and why do we need to keep changing the structure? 

Just keep the structure simple and the game will sell itself

9 hours ago, jannerboyuk said:

Interesting thoughts.

10 team championship though with just h and a? So 9 home games?

Not sure i get your league 1 groups? and six home games? 

The problem with that is you are probably not going to expand the game in the northern hemisphere like that?

24 minutes ago, jannerboyuk said:

Why not?

Well look at the history of RL. The Welsh teams , London etc. Even Cumbria. It will never happen. Teams like Feathersone and Widnes , particularly with a salary cap in place will always have advantages over teams based in South Wales and London. 

2 hours ago, westlondonfan said:

Well look at the history of RL. The Welsh teams , London etc. Even Cumbria. It will never happen. Teams like Feathersone and Widnes , particularly with a salary cap in place will always have advantages over teams based in South Wales and London. 

Sure, but not sure how thats the consequence of 3 divisions with 2 up and 2 down

On 31/12/2017 at 1:31 PM, jannerboyuk said:

Sure, but not sure how thats the consequence of 3 divisions with 2 up and 2 down

Who is going to put the money in not knowing what is going to happen to the club in the future? It. It hasn’t happened while Melbourne and the Warriors are successful professional teams.

On 12/29/2017 at 1:52 PM, John Drake said:

Is this that important?

I mean look at the NFL, the way their fixture lists are compiled are very complicated, they qualifications through the divisions and conferences and wildcards are very complicated and it doesnt put people off.  Also when its broken down its actually pretty simple, 16 games over 17 weeks, 1 bye, knockout play-off. 

Is the problem with this system its complexity? for me Its issue is more that it creates an ad-hoc season where a quarter of your games are planned at a weeks notice, creates three stages for the top of SL and mixes in different teams halfway through. Its convoluted nature rather than complexity is the problem.

There has to be promotion and relegation.  Even just 1 up and 1 down.  You can't shut clubs out again. 

• Like 5

i think its the whole complexity of the P&R that's the issue.

the bottom team or teams get relegated plain and simple. if you want a playoff for the championship then only include the qualified teams, the others are out and don't play anymore. Also can someone please get a freaking clause in the player contracts for a pay cut upon relegation, this whole ripping up of the contracts thing is absolutely ridiculous.

Edited by Krzzystuff
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

There has to be promotion and relegation.  Even just 1 up and 1 down.  You can't shut clubs out again. 

How do you sell tv rights when you don't know which clubs will be in which divisions? doesnt work with overseas clubs, doesnt work with expansion clubs. It just isnt practical.

4 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

i think its the whole complexity of the P&R that's the issue.

the bottom team or teams get relegated plain and simple. if you want a playoff for the championship then only include the qualified teams, the others are out and don't play anymore. Also can someone please get a freaking clause in the player contracts for a pay cut upon relegation, this whole ripping up of the contracts thing is absolutely ridiculous.

That also seems simple. But in practice doesnt work. 

Players dont earn enough to take the risk of signing for a smaller club and seeing their pay cut. Simply entrenches the big clubs at the top and smaller clubs at the bottom. 

6 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

How do you sell tv rights when you don't know which clubs will be in which divisions? doesnt work with overseas clubs, doesnt work with expansion clubs. It just isnt practical.

I hadn't thought of that. Surely there needs to be a mechanism for say Fev or Fax or Leigh to replace a Wakey or a Hudds or a Widnes?