Sign in to follow this  
Bullish Giant Rhino

Why is Yorkshire so far behind Lancashire?

Just a thought from me: how come all the Lancashire clubs in SL have lovely stadiums whilst so many Yorkshire clubs struggle with outdated facilities? 

Has there been more investment in Lancashire? It's unbelievable to think that Hull KR, Cas/Wakey, Bradford have sub standard stadiums. Leeds only got theirs sorted this year too. 

Why?

2 minutes ago, Bullish Giant Rhino said:

Just a thought from me: how come all the Lancashire clubs in SL have lovely stadiums whilst so many Yorkshire clubs struggle with outdated facilities? 

Has there been more investment in Lancashire? It's unbelievable to think that Hull KR, Cas/Wakey, Bradford have sub standard stadiums. Leeds only got theirs sorted this year too. 

Why?

Hull’s is OK.

Lancashire cities and towns got massive amounts of government money to build arenas, stadia and infrastructure because the whole of the county was a complete tip while in Yorkshire we seemed to be left to fend for ourselves.

Leeds is a great example of this, city of a million people still without a decent public transport system, no goverment stadia or facilties. Only just got an arena after 25 years of asking for one. Must be one of the least invested in ( by the government) major cities in Europe.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

Lancashire cities and towns got massive amounts of government money to build arenas, stadia and infrastructure because the whole of the county was a complete tip while in Yorkshire we seemed to be left to fend for ourselves.

Leeds is a great example of this, city of a million people still without a decent public transport system, no goverment stadia or facilties. Only just got an arena after 25 years of asking for one. Must be one of the least invested in ( by the government) major cities in Europe.

Wigans courtesy of Dave Whelan 

Saints via McManus and associates 

Wire via council and Tesco 

Widnes via council

Leigh via combination of council land , sport England grants and Greenbank construction 

Salford via council and Peel Holdings 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Bullish Giant Rhino said:

Why?

There's two of them. The saga of why they don't have is well recorded and incessantly debated on here. Bradford currently play in league one, not super league. 

Because minimum standards were introduced so Leigh, Salford and St Helens built their long-promised new stadia. Many Yorkshire clubs didn't do anything in terms of theirs, and we then returned to P & R with no minimum standards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattrhino said:

What's happened in Leeds as far as the city's infrastructure is concerned is nothing short of appalling.  I'd like to blame the Tories, but I blame manly New Labour in general and John Prescott in particular.  They spend money in Tory marginals, and the Tories spend money in Tory marginals, the result?  Solid Labour areas like Leeds get the shitten end of the stick.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Wigans courtesy of Dave Whelan 

Saints via McManus and associates 

Wire via council and Tesco 

Widnes via council

Leigh via combination of council land , sport England grants and Greenbank construction 

Salford via council and Peel Holdings 

I don't like the DW stadium, I haven't been to Saints' new ground, I don't like the Halliwell Jones much, I don't mind Widnes's ground.  The Leigh Sporting Village is great. The A J Bell is a dump in the making.

According to Fev fans who went there on Tuesday, Wheldon Road is a dangerous dump, Belle Vue is certainly dangerous after dark.  Headingley is head and shoulders above any RL ground in the country.  The Hull grounds are ok, and the John Smiths is fine.  Odsal, not a SL ground is a dump.

Each club has individual circumstances and the geography is largely irrelevant (apart from that Cas and Wakey both being in the same local authority definitely hampered things). So it's coincidental that the undeveloped grounds are in Yorkshire. Still, Hull, Hull KR, Halifax, Doncaster etc have new or modernised grounds in the SL era and Leeds even before this year had spent more on their ground than anyone other than Saints and Wire. There's just a few standouts in Cas, Wakefield and Bradford.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

and they had to pay for the arena themselves out of the sale of the airport . Manchester has had billions of govt money beause they cried the poverty tale 

2 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I don't like the DW stadium, I haven't been to Saints' new ground, I don't like the Halliwell Jones much, I don't mind Widnes's ground.  The Leigh Sporting Village is great. The A J Bell is a dump in the making.

According to Fev fans who went there on Tuesday, Wheldon Road is a dangerous dump, Belle Vue is certainly dangerous after dark.  Headingley is head and shoulders above any RL ground in the country.  The Hull grounds are ok, and the John Smiths is fine.  Odsal, not a SL ground is a dump.

Just putting down where the investement came from Trojan , I like old and new 

9 minutes ago, Trojan said:

What's happened in Leeds as far as the city's infrastructure is concerned is nothing short of appalling.  I'd like to blame the Tories, but I blame manly New Labour in general and John Prescott in particular.  They spend money in Tory marginals, and the Tories spend money in Tory marginals, the result?  Solid Labour areas like Leeds get the shitten end of the stick.

it was new labours Alastare Darling who blocked the tram system in Leeds after it had been agreed 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, M j M said:

Each club has individual circumstances and the geography is largely irrelevant (apart from that Cas and Wakey both being in the same local authority definitely hampered things). So it's coincidental that the undeveloped grounds are in Yorkshire. Still, Hull, Hull KR, Halifax, Doncaster etc have new or modernised grounds in the SL era and Leeds even before this year had spent more on their ground than anyone other than Saints and Wire. There's just a few standouts in Cas, Wakefield and Bradford.

Wigan and Leigh are both under the same local authority, both have new stadiums. Leeds haven't spent £26m on Headingley, if they have they have been ripped off big style because its a dump and even rebuilding the South stand will leave it being 1/2 a dump.

Edited by Padge

1 minute ago, Padge said:

Wigan and Leigh are both under the same local authority, both have new stadiums. Leeds haven't spent £26m on Headingley, if they have they have been ripped off big style because its a dump and even rebuilding the South stand will leave it being 1/2 a dump.

But without Whelan Wigan would be in much inferior facilities 

Similarily without Leigh RMI the LSV might never have happened 

Both clubs have been very fortunate 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I think LCC only brokered the finance for redeveloping Headingley because they didn't want to lose test cricket in the City 

7 minutes ago, Padge said:

so how will the north stand be a dump? and central park as historic though it wasn't exactly state of the Art EVER 

Edited by fieldofclothofgold

1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

But without Whelan Wigan would be in much inferior facilities 

Similarily without Leigh RMI the LSV might never have happened 

Both clubs have been very fortunate 

Whelan paid hardly anything for the Stadium, it was built in an EU regeneration area who paid a lot of the costs, it was also built on land that had reclamation grants available, the council chipped in for the infrastructure. Whelan's bit came from the sale of Springfield Park for housing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Padge said:

Only one club in Wigan needed council support as the other stadium was built by the football club owner. As I said each circumstance is individual - clubs who are able to tie in with supermarket development have a much better starting point. There's even one club which sold their ground to a supermarket chain and never got a ground of their own!

FWIW Leeds have spent around £12m on Headingley since 1997 with the current redevelopment project being another £20m. Not sure what your £26m refers to.

3 minutes ago, Padge said:

Whelan paid hardly anything for the Stadium, it was built in an EU regeneration area who paid a lot of the costs, it was also built on land that had reclamation grants available, the council chipped in for the infrastructure. Whelan's bit came from the sale of Springfield Park for housing.

Very fortunate Still , wouldnt you say ? 

1 minute ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

so how will the north stand be a dump?

Have you never been in it, its a dump.