RobertAM

Local Press Coverage of TWP

I've loved this post, it's become fun, and i've only tried to help. I've quoted what your fixtures are according to this side of the pond.

Krzzystuff, I love yer,, but look back. It's now Halifax April 28th, which nobody knew before, until I pointed it out. Kman, I didn't block out the word smashing. The moderators wouldn't allow the word I used, lol.

Now, tin hat on, and ready to repel all invaders to our sceptered isle as we have done for hundreds of years.

2 minutes ago, TMF said:

I've loved this post, it's become fun, and i've only tried to help. I've quoted what your fixtures are according to this side of the pond.

Krzzystuff, I love yer,, but look back. It's now Halifax April 28th, which nobody knew before, until I pointed it out. Kman, I didn't block out the word smashing. The moderators wouldn't allow the word I used, lol.

Now, tin hat on, and ready to repel all invaders to our sceptered isle as we have done for hundreds of years.

Thats exactly what I told ya.

No hats needed, the weather at Lamport is going to be fine.

Well, obviously not in your winter.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TMF said:

Well, obviously not in your winter.

The beer will be flowing like a melting creek in the Spring,

The fans will be cheering with a dull roar equal to Niagara Falls,

Time will stand still for you as a visiting fan,

And no hats needed,

The weather at Lamport is going to be fine!

17th June. That's mid summer to us guys. I really, really hope I can make it mate.

• Like 1

News from League Express 3104:

• And the bid for a second Canadian team is based in... Hamilton and handled by Perez (Boston bid seems confirmed as well, and NYC bid was already official)
  • Dan Fleming not to be replaced, enough forwards in the 28-man roster, Rowley still looking for someone on the outside back (send your resume)
  • Preseason disastrous so far: visa problems, injuries, fitness level low and lack of cohesion (Rowley)
  • Betfred to sponsor Championship and League 1 in 2018 as well as SL

Elsewhere, Dave Taylor more than happy with the TWP facilities: https://www.insidesport.com.au/news/taylor-toronto-have-better-facilities-than-some-nrl-sides-481105

Rugbyleaguehub don't see Toronto promoted in 2018: http://www.rugbyleaguehub.com/2018/01/13/why-toronto-will-not-get-promoted-in-2018/

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, manu266 said:

News from League Express 3104:

• And the bid for a second Canadian team is based in... Hamilton and handled by Perez (Boston bid seems confirmed as well, and NYC bid was already official)
  • Dan Fleming not to be replaced, enough forwards in the 28-man roster, Rowley still looking for someone on the outside back (send your resume)
  • Preseason disastrous so far: visa problems, injuries, fitness level low and lack of cohesion (Rowley)
  • Betfred to sponsor Championship and League 1 in 2018 as well as SL

Elsewhere, Dave Taylor more than happy with the TWP facilities: https://www.insidesport.com.au/news/taylor-toronto-have-better-facilities-than-some-nrl-sides-481105

Rugbyleaguehub don't see Toronto promoted in 2018: http://www.rugbyleaguehub.com/2018/01/13/why-toronto-will-not-get-promoted-in-2018/

Bah Hamilton! I will try and be as supportive as possible of the team as I want local RL to get big but not over the moon with it. Trust the professionals putting millions on the line I guess.

Bad news about the pre-season especially when we face one of our main rivals right off the bat. Hopefully he's playing some mind game's here.

Screw rugbyleaguehub! We're going to the top flight baby!!!! 

Thanks for the info. I'll see how the year goes but league express is looking likely to replace my rugby league world subscription 

4 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

Bah Hamilton! I will try and be as supportive as possible of the team as I want local RL to get big but not over the moon with it. Trust the professionals putting millions on the line I guess.

Bad news about the pre-season especially when we face one of our main rivals right off the bat. Hopefully he's playing some mind game's here.

Screw rugbyleaguehub! We're going to the top flight baby!!!! 

Thanks for the info. I'll see how the year goes but league express is looking likely to replace my rugby league world subscription 

Looks like McCrone is getting ready to rip things up!  He might just be the key.

19 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

Come on Krzzy, I know you have your personal issues with Hamilton, but we'll be able to see two teams play. Hopefully they'll stagger the fixtures.

5 hours ago, ojx said:

but we'll be able to see two teams play. Hopefully they'll stagger the fixtures.

That would be the most logical thing to do or the RFL could try to get two UK teams on the same flight. This is RL the logical thing to do isn’t always the thing that happens.

Deep down I would have liked a team in Montreal and that will be on the plans but it would have had some risk at this early stage of pro RL in Canada. It may have flown under the radar. Hamilton probably is a safer bet for now.

I like the Boston idea more than NY for now with the same reasoning as above. 

As for the pre-season not going so well, that will guarantee no complacency. It may be a blessing in disguise. I hope that is how it works out anyway.

Edited by RayCee
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RayCee said:

Deep down I would have liked a team in Montreal and that will be on the plans but it would have had some risk at this early stage of pro RL in Canada. It may have flown under the radar. Hamilton probably is a safer bet for now.

I like the Boston idea more than NY for now with the same reasoning as above. 

As for the pre-season not going so well, that will guarantee no complacency. It may be a blessing in disguise. I hope that is how it works out anyway.

Its important that they be successful in a business sense first...we can't get ahead of ourselves...we want the new franchises to thrive and be well thought out...Toronto is ready to go....Rowley is just playing games.   I really think the key is McCrone...he seems highly motivated and a player like him can make things happen and the others will cue off him.  I'm expecting a big year out of him.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I really think the key is McCrone...he seems highly motivated and a player like him can make things happen and the others will cue off him.  I'm expecting a big year out of him.

I’ve seen him playing through his career and while not a flashy player, he is a grafter and true pro. Every team needs this sort of character. Without them, the star players don’t shine.

• Like 2

Wow, things really seem to be happening there. Good look guys, i'll watch this site with interest.

On 1/15/2018 at 10:17 AM, RayCee said:

Montreal is a tough market for sports. After 2 successful baseball teams in the past, the city has no baseball stadium, making it impossible even for a minor team to move to Montreal, no matter how popular baseball might be in Quebec. (Canadian) Football had a rough time in the past and only an unintentional move to Molson Stadium saved the Alouettes, showing again the importance of location, location, location. Soccer is quite successful, building on the strong multicultural side of the city. Cricket has its eyes on Montreal, but more on Toronto, for the same reasons.

Rugby (League or Union for that matter) can play that card too and probably would have to start there in a city like Montreal but, more than soccer or cricket, can build a strong fan base with what we call the “pure laine” Québécois, but it will take time and it starts now by promoting TWP in Quebec. Montrealers are behind the Blue Jays because they love baseball and with the Blue Jays they have a Canadian team. There is almost zero basketball culture in Montreal (NBA is not even on Quebec TV), but when the Raptors play at Bell Centre it’s a sellout. If they are aware of the Wolfpack, they will follow them also, they could travel to see some matches, and they would definitely show up if TWP play an exhibition or regular game in Montreal. But we need to make them aware of it. TWP should maybe sponsor RU competitions in Montreal, ask pubs to show TWP games, gather fans in one or two of these pubs, show that there is a professional RL side in Canada and that Montreal could have its team within 3-5 years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Ok everyone, can I just try and give you the difference of thinking on both sides of the pond.In the UK, the word franchise, in sport means nothing to us.  In NA/Canada it seems to be usual. That is we are finding it hard to accept your view of RL. Our clubs and teams are based on local community support. My own team is over a hundred years old. It's what binds us together as a community. It's why we support them. There is a ton of reasons why we stay loyal. You're not getting it.

Let me put it this way. If an oil prince decided to buy Wigan/St Helens/Leeds (put your club here) and decided to move the team to London because he thought he could make more money that way, it wouldn't be allowed to happen, and if it did, it would be the end of RL. The historical context is all. Otherwise we would all be playing RU. You seem to accept that clubs can be bought and sold, and moved to another venue. This is really alien to us. Reading the above posts, is what you are arguing about. 

Fact is, you had a guy, who had a vision, and ploughed a lot of money in to make that come true. He succeeded and is why supporters over here, recognise that and wish you well. But do not start talking about franchises and moving clubs from city to city just to make a fast buck. RL is about history. Go and make your own.

It's a rant I know, but I want you to succeed. Baby steps, consolidate, then expand. Good luck.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TMF said:

Ok everyone, can I just try and give you the difference of thinking on both sides of the pond.In the UK, the word franchise, in sport means nothing to us.  In NA/Canada it seems to be usual. That is we are finding it hard to accept your view of RL. Our clubs and teams are based on local community support. My own team is over a hundred years old. It's what binds us together as a community. It's why we support them. There is a ton of reasons why we stay loyal. You're not getting it.

Let me put it this way. If an oil prince decided to buy Wigan/St Helens/Leeds (put your club here) and decided to move the team to London because he thought he could make more money that way, it wouldn't be allowed to happen, and if it did, it would be the end of RL. The historical context is all. Otherwise we would all be playing RU. You seem to accept that clubs can be bought and sold, and moved to another venue. This is really alien to us. Reading the above posts, is what you are arguing about. 

Fact is, you had a guy, who had a vision, and ploughed a lot of money in to make that come true. He succeeded and is why supporters over here, recognise that and wish you well. But do not start talking about franchises and moving clubs from city to city just to make a fast buck. RL is about history. Go and make your own.

It's a rant I know, but I want you to succeed. Baby steps, consolidate, then expand. Good luck.

New franchise clubs can be bought and sold and rebranded...it happens all the time.  Of course the old stand by clubs aren't going anywhere, nor does anyone want them to....its seems like a totally irrational fear to us on this side of the Atlantic, and sort of odd (almost a paranoia) debate Rugby League seems to have with itself; is it a bit of an inferiority complex?

I get the RL is about history bit , but since it is a professional sport it is also a modern business and also about money.  No one is talking about destroying or getting rid of anyone; this is a debate about expansion and growth.  This is our time, our chance, our moment....we must grasp it with both hands and squeeze!  There are new boys on the block now...and maybe how we do things can add to the overall strength of the entire game and sport....maybe a large wakeup call was needed and is currently being supplied?  Rugby League can't remain static in the modern world of sport, or it will wilt and die, and no one wants that.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TMF said:

Who ever said moving teams? Look at the MLS and Columbus, people are ###### and fighting tooth and nail mot to have the team relocate because fans form all around don't accept that. the reason we use franchise is because P&R isn't a thing in NA and it expands by people  bidding for a team in their city if and when a spot opens up.

All we want is for people to stop moaning about a team in Toronto. If we have the same rules and restrictions regarding salary cap and quotas and our team beats your to a title, promotion, new signing then deal with it...it's called sport. If we get beat we will deal with it.

Argyle isn't in this for the money so the we want fats bucks comment make no sense either...you sure you're talking about our team?

3 hours ago, TMF said:

Are we talking about moving clubs from city to city here? Who said that? Not me, I'm from Europe (it's the small continent just after the British Isles), I hate that concept too. Please reveal yourself... Seriously people, moving clubs? You should be ashamed of yourself.

More seriously, I love the Australian concept of taking games (not teams) to other cities/markets. Playing AFL games in Tasmania or Canberra, NRL games in the NT or Perth, cricket games in Alice Springs. That's brilliant, and that's what I want to see here, specially when Lamport is not available... If we have 2 teams in the GTHA, taking some games to Ottawa, Montreal, Florida, Vancouver (I know, I know, flight times) would totally make sense to me.

Edited by manu266
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, manu266 said:

Are we talking about moving clubs from city to city here? Who said that? Not me, I'm from Europe (it's the small continent just after the British Isles), I hate that concept too. Please reveal yourself... Seriously people, moving clubs? You should be ashamed of yourself.

More seriously, I love the Australian concept of taking games (not teams) to other cities/markets. Playing AFL games in Tasmania, NRL games in the NT or Canberra, cricket games in Alice Springs. That's brilliant, and that's what I want to see here, specially when Lamport is not available... If we have 2 teams in the GTHA, taking some games to Ottawa, Montreal, Florida, Vancouver (I know, I know, flight times) would totally make sense to me.

You envision a bright future...but I'm not flying to Florida next year for the Bradford game, I'm planning to drive!  I just hope its during my vacation time...I love Florida in the winter!  And don't forget Halifax, Halifax Nova Scotia deserves a team too!

I think manu266 gets it, but what is GTHA? See, that's were we struggle when talking to you guys. Same language that nobody understands. Kman, clubs bought and sold doesn't happen all the time here. Clubs do fold sometime and re-birth under a different identity, sometimes by the supporters. Re Salford at this present time. For anology,  let's take Man United and locate them to the South of France and see how that goes, or, for a laugh, Wigan, to Yorkshire. You might not actually get that, but I hope you do. See where i'm coming from? If you don't, you are in the wrong game.

However, you are right about a wake up call. It's why you have been warmly been accepted into our game. But remember, if you forget  your history, you will be condemned to making the same mistakes over again.

2 hours ago, TMF said:

But remember, if you forget  your history, you will be condemned to making the same mistakes over again.

But honestly, after all that I've read and learned in my short time it appears that it is Rugby League (especially admin. for some strange set of reasons which I still struggle to fathom) which seems to constantly constantly makes mistakes, crazy mistakes!  Sometimes its almost comedic in nature...I know its a bit crazy but people over here will lap it up I tell ya!

But don't let greed wreck everything again this time, the expansion can't afford to be screwed up!

"The Wolfpack ain't makin' any mistakes, just a few minor growing bumps which were quite easily overcome....the tale of the Wolfpack continues to unfold this season....the mistakes aren't being made on this end....growing like crazy over here...OVER!"

Toronto hand Rowley new three-year deal

https://www.totalrl.com/toronto-hand-rowley-new-three-year-deal/

There is also an article on Daily Telegraph (Sydney) about Fuifui, but it's behind paywall and I don't see anything on the paper version, maybe later on the Sunday edition...

'Grow up': Fuifui Moimoi's wife has finally had enough

• Like 1