Sign in to follow this  
TheLegendOfTexEvans

Northern & Pariochal

Just watched the latest video from the RFL on twitter and have got to seriously wonder what people are thinking when they include the phrase Northern & Pariochal.

Even if it is tongue in cheek.  Seriously come on.

What does that tell people trying to develop the game in other parts of the country?

Do you want to say Northern & Pariochal when finding sponsors, other than mushy pea companies?

Edited by TheLegendOfTexEvans
  • Like 2

It tells people that we are the stereotype Northern enclave sport we are portrayed as in the media and the message to the big name sponsors is "look pal, if you are not a chip shop in Batley go throw your millions at some other sport, we are all right with Fred the fish fryer".

Edited by Padge
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

The RFL video in question

Personally as a bona fide Southerner,  I am not outraged by Jamie Jones Buchanan's brief comments in what is an ode to the Community game in the amateur Rugby League scene.

Some might even say he is simply stating the obvious

The Gerald Ratner approach to PR & Marketing?

Not sure that this RFL video is going to be viewed by the "big name sponsors" to start with.

One of the reasons why non-heartland fans like myself actually like Rugby League is because it is a game embedded in the communities it thrives in and players in the majority of Super League and Championship sides are from and relate to the communities their club represents, which is a  stark contrast to other major sports in the UK. It's the sports strength and also it's major weakness.

Of course this breeds " a my small town / village" approach manifest on here in many a thread and in the pages of LPL publications, and this is indeed the view that those of us who live outside the M62 bubble recognise as the sports image with the UK sports public. But this is an image that the game has always had and I doubt a few fleeting words from JJB will have any radical effect on the way the game is viewed outside the M62 bubble

JJB is pro-expansion you know

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/628252/Leeds-Rhinos-Jamie-Jones-Buchanan-Princ-Harry-Salford-Super-League-rugby

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This what happens when the RFL/Nige are running the marketing campaigns. They're still deluded enough to believe RL can survive as a small northern sport as its charm. We need some professionals running the marketing. Heck even a marketing undergrad could probably do a better job. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

Not sure that this RFL video is going to be viewed by the "big name sponsors" to start with.

One of the reasons why non-heartland fans like myself actually like Rugby League is because it is a game embedded in the communities it thrives in and players in the majority of Super League and Championship sides are from and relate to the communities their club represents, which is a  stark contrast to other major sports in the UK. It's the sports strength and also it's major weakness.

Of course this breeds " a my small town / village" approach manifest on here in many a thread and in the pages of LPL publications, and this is indeed the view that those of us who live outside the M62 bubble recognise as the sports image with the UK sports public. But this is an image that the game has always had and I doubt a few fleeting words from JJB will have any radical effect on the way the game is viewed outside the M62 bubble

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/628252/Leeds-Rhinos-Jamie-Jones-Buchanan-Princ-Harry-Salford-Super-League-rugby

I am sure JJB is a good guy.  I just question who ever decided not edit that out and leave that phrase in.

2 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

This what happens when the RFL/Nige are running the marketing campaigns. They're still deluded enough to believe RL can survive as a small northern sport as its charm. We need some professionals running the marketing. Heck even a marketing undergrad could probably do a better job. 

We are going to go the same way as speedway if we are not careful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

You could still sell it as a community game without focusing on the northern/m62 aspect. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

You could still sell it as a community game without focusing on the northern/m62 aspect. 

It shows a like of awareness on branding in social media.

Anyone could be following that account.

Its a little odd in one breath we are saying we are the first transatlantic sport and big news but then we say hey but we are not a national sport.

But one that is played in a limited number of areas by narrow minded individuals.

I dont buy into either of those two statements.

Harry Edgar please come back and save the game!!!!!

• Like 1

I'm no marketing guru/expert, but if I had to create a video for the RFL, I'd use shots of London, Manchester, Toulouse and Toronto, show clips of RL, use English/French speaking players to talk and show shots of Wembley, OT, St James's etc. Then I'd show clips of the community game as well. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

I'm no marketing guru/expert, but if I had to create a video for the RFL, I'd use shots of London, Manchester, Toulouse and Toronto, show clips of RL, use English/French speaking players to talk and show shots of Wembley, OT, St James's etc. Then I'd show clips of the community game as well. 

Nothing wrong with filming in heartland areas just dont play that tired old northern stereotype.

Believe it or not its what puts a lot of northerners off is this 1960s branding.

One cold winter we could lose half our fan base at some clubs.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Nothing wrong with filming in heartland areas just dont play that tired old northern stereotype.

Believe it or not its what puts a lot of northerners off is this 1960s branding.

One cold winter we could lose half our fan base at some clubs.

It's the whole northern sport/Eddie Waring stigma that sport needs to lose. The RFL still thinks the sport can sell itself that way, but it's why outsiders don't take the sport seriously. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jannerboyuk said:

I like mushy peas

Bachelors,35p a tin from t'freezer shop in Leigh,goes right gradely with a couple of Waterfields meat n prater pasties it does

Edited by jpmc

Haha talk about bloody whingers , There is nothing at all wrong with embracing your roots & RL in England is a Northern game so why not be proud of it? That's not to say others aren't welcome to play though. Thank god TRL forum users in the main aren't representative of your average RL fan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, RabbitRhinoovOZ said:

Haha talk about bloody whingers , There is nothing at all wrong with embracing your roots & RL in England is a Northern game so why not be proud of it? That's not to say others aren't welcome to play though. Thank god TRL forum users in the main aren't representative of your average RL fan.

There's a massive difference in embracing your roots and actively using phrases like "northern and parochial" when the game absolutely needs to shed that image in the 21st Century. A similar line of attack was used during the ill-fated Stobart truck advertising campaign and it didn't work. As a member of a non-heartland community club, I think this adminstration's mentality is backward, insular and pretty pathetic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Just watched the latest video from the RFL on twitter and have got to seriously wonder what people are thinking when they include the phrase Northern & Pariochal.

What does that tell people trying to develop the game in other parts of the country?

Do you want to say Northern & Pariochal wehen finding sponsors, other than mushy pea companies?

The video, though, is about the community game, is it it not, appealing to amateurs. There is much wailing and gnashing of teeth over on the NCL and community forums about the decline of the amatuer game in the north so here is a little something that can be used across social media in the quest to halt that decline. If you are involved in that side of the game, why not share it with your contacts?

I doubt that the mention of two words out of the hundreds in the video will cause our game to crash and burn. In addition, do we really want sponsors who make their decions on those two words in a social media video about the amateur game  rather than on a sound business case for investing markeing money in our elte competition? In my experience, thats not how it works.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Do you want to say Northern & Pariochal when finding sponsors, other than mushy pea companies?

How so 'kin rude and pathetic to pick up on that phrase when here is a guy speaking passionately about a part of the game that very few have had the enthusiasm and have been willing to role their sleeves up and to get involved, and as he says but for those "The real heros of the game are the ones you may never have heard of" people like himself and Kevin Sinfield would never had got the opportunity.

Pathetic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, JohnM said:

The video, though, is about the community game, is it it not, appealing to amateurs. There is much wailing and gnashing of teeth over on the NCL and community forums about the decline of the amatuer game in the north so here is a little something that can be used across social media in the quest to halt that decline. If you are involved in that side of the game, why not share it with your contacts?

I doubt that the mention of two words out of the hundreds in the video will cause our game to crash and burn. In addition, do we really want sponsors who make their decions on those two words in a social media video about the amateur game  rather than on a sound business case for investing markeing money in our elte competition? In my experience, thats not how it works.

I think this is valid.  The Brixton Bulls video is targetted at new markets and is made to be easy to watch.  As a man who has been a volunteer for rugby league for years, I still struggled to make it through to that part of the video.  (but that is a strange defence).

We all know our game is northern and we are proud of our heritage. But it doesn't help sell our game highlighting that we play in Hull, Wigan and Cumbria with no mention of hard working people spreading our game in London, Newcastle,Bristol,Wales,Ireland,France and plenty other places around the UK and the world.

• Like 1