Sign in to follow this  
Blind side johnny

(Will It Be A) Happy New Year

As always at this time of year we can look upon the months ahead with a sense of vigour and optimism about what the future might hold, usually encouraged by a glass or two of optimism-enhancer. Within a couple of weeks this will generally have been drenched by the cold shower of reality as we realise that it will probably be no better than before, and so it goes on.

Still, enough of that merry cheer and it is surely time to coolly assess the prospects for the season ahead. Most clubs have just about completed their squad-building and are well into the pre-season training and conditioning period, so we should be in a good position to realistically determine what the league positions will look like before the 8's begin. My careful clinical evaluation, making use of algorithms honed over the decades leads me to the following prediction:

1. Leigh - FT squad and money poured upon them by the SL and RFL might see them go through unbeaten

2. Toronto - a big experienced pack and plenty of money spent on recruitment combined with the difficulties of travel experienced by some, but not all, opponents.

3. Fev - decent recruitment combined with a steady income stream should see them make the 4 again.

4. Toulouse - making up for last season's disappointment.

5.  Halifax - might just miss out on the 4 this season but will run the others close.

6. London - losing Henderson will be a blow that will take a bit to make up. Their recruitment hasn't been particularly strong either.

7. Rochdale - my wild card this year. Some clever recruitment might well pay off.

8. Batley - will fall well short of the top four, maybe laying that ghost to rest.

9. Barrow - home advantage will count for a lot in the sticky end of the table.

10. Dewsbury - a weaker squad than this time last year and a lightweight pack.

11. Sheffield - so far they have only recruited 14 players and even this might be a bridge too far for Tubby's remarkable coaching skills.

12. Swinton - a mighty effort to survive last year and the news of a new ground should energise them but their squad looks a bit weak

I am much more confident about the outcome for the top of the table than the bottom, where any two of six could face the drop.

Other opinions would be welcomed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm afraid this year coming will be very much about the "haves and have not".

Clear line between top half of division and bottom with nothing but frustration or disappointment for those languishing in half way house.

Some hammerings expected but the odd giant topple. We'll be there come rain or shine

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

As always at this time of year we can look upon the months ahead with a sense of vigour and optimism about what the future might hold, usually encouraged by a glass or two of optimism-enhancer. Within a couple of weeks this will generally have been drenched by the cold shower of reality as we realise that it will probably be no better than before, and so it goes on.

Still, enough of that merry cheer and it is surely time to coolly assess the prospects for the season ahead. Most clubs have just about completed their squad-building and are well into the pre-season training and conditioning period, so we should be in a good position to realistically determine what the league positions will look like before the 8's begin. My careful clinical evaluation, making use of algorithms honed over the decades leads me to the following prediction:

1. Leigh - FT squad and money poured upon them by the SL and RFL might see them go through unbeaten

2. Toronto - a big experienced pack and plenty of money spent on recruitment combined with the difficulties of travel experienced by some, but not all, opponents.

3. Fev - decent recruitment combined with a steady income stream should see them make the 4 again.

5.  Halifax - might just miss out on the 4 this season but will run the others close.

6. London - losing Henderson will be a blow that will take a bit to make up. Their recruitment hasn't been particularly strong either.

7. Rochdale - my wild card this year. Some clever recruitment might well pay off.

8. Batley - will fall well short of the top four, maybe laying that ghost to rest.

11. Sheffield - so far they have only recruited 14 players and even this might be a bridge too far for Tubby's remarkable coaching skills.

12. Swinton - a mighty effort to survive last year and the news of a new ground should energise them but their squad looks a bit weak

I am much more confident about the outcome for the top of the table than the bottom, where any two of six could face the drop.

No prediction of Fev going pop? Now I am worried ;)

Don't think you're too far out and as you say 7-12 could be in any order. I'd also say you probably could easily swap 3-6 around too, although like London, 'Fax don't seem to have done much in the way of recruitment either: a season long (and we all know the value of those) loanee from Cas and a young prop from C1 being the only 2 newcomers I'm aware of - their DR players will likely have a big influence on their finishing position.

PS A Happy, peaceful and healthy New Year to you all

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep
PS added
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, silcoates said:

i agree mostly BSJ apart from no 8 which you are far off.

They are doomed for relegation and oblivion. 

I see you've started on the falling-own juice even earlier than usual, Silcoats.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

All academic BSJ. The divide between the full and part time players will become even more apparent. The gulf will be wide enough to encourage the RFL to cast us even further adrift, and restructure in such a way that the "have nots" will form a separate division, along with the top clubs in ch 1 - ie the heartland clubs. I can see there being a SL1 and 2. and a championship 1 and 2, and I will not be too disappointed.

• Like 2

If your predictions are right I'd be happy to dual reg with Sheffield so they can climb a place :butcher:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, silcoates said:

i agree mostly BSJ apart from no 8 which you are far off.

They are doomed for relegation and oblivion. 

so that's us to finish 11th and you lot 12th

"A weaker squad than this time last year"......... Maybe I'm missing something BSJ but who, of last year's squad, would strengthen our 2018 squad ?............. We'll (hopefully) have Guzdek available from the off, we've got Hallett & Glover (IMO) looking a potentially strong centre partnership, a potent threat with our half-back options (Moore wasn't in the squad to start last year and Speakman came on very well under NK -- and Sykes' form was a different matter post-Morrison), Tonks & Stringer hardly featured, Crookes (??), Kane.................... Nope, not seeing it  (except Toby Adamson, who I thought was exceptional when NK & PD came in)  

Yes, we need a big go-forward prop but who's available -- Perhaps we can tempt Matt Groat back ?? 

Happy New Year to ALL Rams players, supporters, officials etc.........:clapping:

If Mr Kelly can motivate the players to a standard of which I think he is capable, then we could win all our home games against teams numbered from 1 to 8 in your tables. We could also win against one of the top 4 if we are super motivated and they are having a bad day.  It's all about confidence. Have you got any or can you pick the bones out of MY VIEW?   Happy new year to everybody, who agrees with me !??!£&?!!

Ok - so I need to concentrate more when posting. The obvious bone to pick is that I should have said numbers 5 to 12 and not 1 to 8. Hope nobody got to reply before I could make my correction - it may look to some poor soul that I am ..,,.&£@

OK- I'm back with another correction. Did anybody else spot my deliberate error?  Obviously we cannot play and win against ourselves. Never posted so much before and unsure whether I can get used to it. Might try again if there are enough crazy replies. Don't hold your breath though, it could be a few minutes. ???!!?!?£&

1. London Broncos - They have established themselves well in the last two seasons and gone about their business quietly; troubling a number of Super League sides in the 8s. A dark horse indeed. 

2. Toronto Wolfpack - Whilst I do not think they will be the world beaters some believe they will be, it is difficult to not look at their squad and see the depth of talent and experience within their ranks — not to mention money to spent if it is not going entirely to plan. I anticipate a few will visit Toronto and cause am upset due to a raised game.

3. Leigh Centurions - From what I have gathered the Centurions have lost a number of key players since being relegated and I think that will be a big blow to them. The Leigh Sports Village is always a difficult place to go to but away from home Leigh have been known to leak a fair amount of tries and without the momentum and feeling of a rise they had in their last championship season I can not see them being the juggernaut they were. A very good side though. 

4. Toulouse Olympique - A wealth of light in fast backs at their disposal and a back with greater fitness level than most will see Toulouse as a successful outfit in their  second championship season. They will have learnt how important away form is and most likely be less naive in some of their play. If Toulouse have two first choice halfbacks fit I could see them causing some serious damage in this division but other teams will be aware of their away form and capitalise.

5. Featherstone Rovers - A very good side who play free flowing attacking rugby when allowed to but their defense did look shaky the few times I saw them last year. With Thackerary leading the way I can not see them being too far off their goals but the league may just be one team too good to see them reach the top 4. 

6. Halifax RLFC - A mediocre season predicted at The Shy. Similar to other years they will beat the lower teams comfortably but the big guns will probably have too much for them. If they can cause an upset away to say a Leigh and London then perhaps top 4 is no out of their reach but they will have to be consistent. 

7. Batley Bulldogs - A decent pack and good home form will most likely see Batley finish mid table again. Ageing half backs and Matt Diskin’s man management could cost them points throughout. 

8. Sheffield Eagles - Always fast, strong and able to frustrate the life out of sides with scrappy, dirty and sly play. Poor recruitment and the financial circus could see them drop this season. 

9. Dewsbury Rams - An optimistic placing but the lads 9 game winning streak last season showed the character and determination we have. A lightweight pack and discipline will surely cost us points throughout the season though. 

10. Rochdale - When in possession Rochdale can cause any team trouble but in defense they are very shaky and I predict some hammerings for them on their away travels however some tight results at the teams around them would not be unlikely. 

11. Barrow Raiders - A decent squad, good fan base and tidy home form could see them survive but it is a very difficult league and picking up points away will be essential if they want to stay up.  

12. Barely survived in 2017 both on and off the field. Can not see them staying up. 

1 hour ago, myview said:

OK- I'm back with another correction. Did anybody else spot my deliberate error?  Obviously we cannot play and win against ourselves. Never posted so much before and unsure whether I can get used to it. Might try again if there are enough crazy replies. Don't hold your breath though, it could be a few minutes. ???!!?!?£&

try using the edit option.....and just change your 1st post.....

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Therein73 said:

"A weaker squad than this time last year"......... Maybe I'm missing something BSJ but who, of last year's squad, would strengthen our 2018 squad ?............. We'll (hopefully) have Guzdek available from the off, we've got Hallett & Glover (IMO) looking a potentially strong centre partnership, a potent threat with our half-back options (Moore wasn't in the squad to start last year and Speakman came on very well under NK -- and Sykes' form was a different matter post-Morrison), Tonks & Stringer hardly featured, Crookes (??), Kane.................... Nope, not seeing it  (except Toby Adamson, who I thought was exceptional when NK & PD came in)  

Yes, we need a big go-forward prop but who's available -- Perhaps we can tempt Matt Groat back ?? 

Happy New Year to ALL Rams players, supporters, officials etc.........:clapping:

Just looking at the squads at the same time of year Therein, not taking advantage of the retrospective wisdom of how individuals did and didn't perform, I think that our current squad on paper looks weaker than at the same time last year. It's an opinion, not necessarily a fact.

19 hours ago, grumpyoldram said:

All academic BSJ. The divide between the full and part time players will become even more apparent. The gulf will be wide enough to encourage the RFL to cast us even further adrift, and restructure in such a way that the "have nots" will form a separate division, along with the top clubs in ch 1 - ie the heartland clubs. I can see there being a SL1 and 2. and a championship 1 and 2, and I will not be too disappointed.

Two points GOR.

First, have you discussed the influence of the RFL upon Championship clubs including our own with Mark Sawyer? If not then you should. (Discussion of the influence of SL, which is quite different, might evoke another response altogether.)

Second, there is due to be a meeting of the SL clubs soon to finally determine the league structures for 2019 onwards. The results of this may significantly affect how the "senior" clubs in our league approach this current season

20 hours ago, grumpyoldram said:

20 hours ago, grumpyoldram said:

I would take  7th before we start for Hornets. hope youre right.

19 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Two points GOR.

First, have you discussed the influence of the RFL upon Championship clubs including our own with Mark Sawyer? If not then you should. (Discussion of the influence of SL, which is quite different, might evoke another response altogether.)

Second, there is due to be a meeting of the SL clubs soon to finally determine the league structures for 2019 onwards. The results of this may significantly affect how the "senior" clubs in our league approach this current season

A short answer to point 1 is no - I'm afraid I don't move in such exhalted circles. From some of your previous posts, I gather MS has indicated his satisfaction at the RFL's handling of the Championship, so maybe I should change my coment to "The gulf will be wide enough to allow SL/sky to force the parting of the ways between the haves and the have nots". Point 2 - refer to point 1.:rolleyes:

20 minutes ago, grumpyoldram said:

A short answer to point 1 is no - I'm afraid I don't move in such exhalted circles. From some of your previous posts, I gather MS has indicated his satisfaction at the RFL's handling of the Championship, so maybe I should change my coment to "The gulf will be wide enough to allow SL/sky to force the parting of the ways between the haves and the have nots". Point 2 - refer to point 1.:rolleyes:

:D:D Exhalted circles, or fans' forums?

The SL clubs, in particular certain chairmen, are the ones to fear. Despite what some fans might think Sky aren't a part of some worldwide conspiracy against heartland clubs - RL is merely a small product in their sports offering and is treated accordingly. MS was actually quite enthusiastic about the opportunities that could exist for Championship clubs when the current broadcast deal expires in 2021.

• Like 1

On ‎01‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 10:27 AM, Therein73 said:

Agree on all this, but all the positives alluded to are all in the backs.  I fear, as do others, that this will be largely irrelevant if we don't strengthen the pack.

I trust in Ned, but am worried after what I saw Boxing day...

On 01/01/2018 at 11:46 AM, ram1999k said:

6. Halifax RLFC - A mediocre season predicted at The Shy. Similar to other years they will beat the lower teams comfortably but the big guns will probably have too much for them. If they can cause an upset away to say a Leigh and London then perhaps top 4 is no out of their reach but they will have to be consistent. 

Mmmmmm recent seasons have seen us lose quite a number of important games to so called lesser clubs. Swinton last year should have cost us the top 4, the year before losing to them at home pretty much did cost us the top 4. I think 6th is pretty fair though and think we will be in with a shout of the top 4 but ultimately will be reliant on extra talent from Cas. 

Hope you are not basing your season on loan players from Cas, there again it will be an advantage to other championship clubs if you do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, ernieone said:

Hope you are not basing your season on loan players from Cas, there again it will be an advantage to other championship clubs if you do.

Only to make the top 4. Our squad as is should be good enough for at least 6th IMO.

On 31/12/2017 at 3:47 PM, Blind side johnny said:

A pretty fair assessment there BSJ, however this doesn't make for good reading regarding your Rochdale prediction. There are rumours of players being asked to take a 20% pay cut too. 

http://www.hornetsrugbyleague.co.uk/article/50668/club-statement

Having said that Halifax did okay, maybe Rochdale will do the same. 

I'd go for.

TWP

Leigh

Toulouse

Fev

London

Halifax

Batley

Dewsbury

Sheffield

Rochdale

Swinton

Barrow

Edited by DOGFATHER

Well if they really do need to cut costs ...... rather than ask the squad to take a pay cut they could send Toby A back to us ... win win!!!   they operate within their means we get our most improved forward back!! Simple!!!