Sign in to follow this  
Padge

Let the vitriol begin

From Warrington Website.

January 2nd, 2018

Fixture Change: Huddersfield Away

Warrington Wolves’ away fixture against Huddersfield Giants has been brought forward.

Huddersfield have confirmed that the Betfred Round 2 Super League game at the John Smiths Stadium will now take place on Thursday 8 February, 7.45pm kick off (originally Sunday 11 February)

The Giants have thanked the Warrington club for their co-operation in agreeing to the change which was out of the hands of both clubs and it is the only available date that Kirklees Stadium Development Ltd and Huddersfield Town FC* would agree to within the permitted time frame for Round 2.

*Huddersfield Town to play on the Sunday.

Not only could this break the forum, it could break the entire Internet.  😯

• Thanks 1

Up to now I had been enjoying Huddersfield Town's spell in the Premiership and their brave attempt to compete with the big boys.  

Now, I've changed my mind and hope the football team are doomed to slide down to the Evostik League Northern Section and are never heard of again.

What’s the problem here exactly. Well apart from Wiganers attention seeking 

• Like 1

Are Wiganers trying to claim parity with Huddersfield? What happened to, "We're the greatest club in the world"?

Turns out you're just another club sharing a football stadium (although at least Hudds own 20% of theirs).

• Haha 1

...and Mornington Crescent in five moves! :smile::smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Why didnt Hudds just cancel it the day before without even discussing it with Wire?

• Like 7
  • Haha 8

7 hours ago, Dave T said:

Why didnt Hudds just cancel it the day before without even discussing it with Wire?

Do you prefer full cream or semi skimmed milk Dave?

• Like 1

Friday is the Giants chosen game day, s why move to Thursday?

l think its so it makes it much more difficuilt for both sets of fans, l could be wrong

1 hour ago, ettenna said:

Friday is the Giants chosen game day, s why move to Thursday?

l think its so it makes it much more difficuilt for both sets of fans, l could be wrong

It will be an awful crowd. Many Wire fans enjoy a trip to Huddersfield for a Saturday or Sunday daytime game, as it is an easy train ride and there are plenty of decent pubs in Huddersfield and along the route. But a Thursday night in February is hardly going to appeal to either set of fans.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

It will be an awful crowd. Many Wire fans enjoy a trip to Huddersfield for a Saturday or Sunday daytime game, as it is an easy train ride and there are plenty of decent pubs in Huddersfield and along the route. But a Thursday night in February is hardly going to appeal to either set of fans.

You have it wrong Browny, in discussion on these pages over the last couple of days I was reliably informed that SL have made Thursday night games work. 

11 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

You have it wrong Browny, in discussion on these pages over the last couple of days I was reliably informed that SL have made Thursday night games work. 

Honest question, how have they not worked? They are on tv and clubs are being paid. What am I missing?

5 minutes ago, Michael1812 said:

Honest question, how have they not worked? They are on tv and clubs are being paid. What am I missing?

Honest answer, the TV audiences are rubbish and the crowds are worse.

1 minute ago, Michael1812 said:

Travelling fans especially trans pennine, you may not have expierienced that delight Micheal with your location, kids who would attend but can't it's not like Friday they have school the next day.

I have more affinity with the people who actually attend other than armchair supporters, and so it would seem Sky have also been apologetic, they provided free coach transport last season for away fans.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Travelling fans especially trans pennine, you may not have expierienced that delight Micheal with your location, kids who would attend but can't it's not like Friday they have school the next day.

I have more affinity with the people who actually attend other than armchair supporters, and so it would seem Sky have also been apologetic, they provided free coach transport last season for away fans.

Was it Sky who provided coaches? That seems odd. I thought it was a collective SL thing.

They have made the radical decision to kick off at 7.45pm though this year. I know Draper was campaigning for 7.30pm when at Wire.

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Was it Sky who provided coaches? That seems odd. I thought it was a collective SL thing.

They have made the radical decision to kick off at 7.45pm though this year. I know Draper was campaigning for 7.30pm when at Wire.

I thought it was the RFL?

Just now, Padge said:

I thought it was the RFL?

Yeah me too RFL/SL clubs whoever - i thought it was a game initiative rather than Sky. Not sure it is in Skys interests to get people away from the telly!

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yeah me too RFL/SL clubs whoever - i thought it was a game initiative rather than Sky. Not sure it is in Skys interests to get people away from the telly!

From the SL website for the start of last season.

Following a successful pilot last year and listening to valuable feedback from fans and the Betfred Super League clubs, Super League (Europe) has agreed to offer free coach travel for all members and season ticket holders for Thursday night televised games.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Definatley SKY , me and the ' boss ' run our coaches , in fact i managed to convince Leigh to use our thursday night ' firework ' money , [ 2 K ] back in 2008\9 to pay for coaches to bring widnes fans to the LSV for a NRC match , Steve O Connor matched it and we had a good following from the Chemics , still battered them

1 minute ago, Padge said:

From the SL website for the start of last season.

Following a successful pilot last year and listening to valuable feedback from fans and the Betfred Super League clubs, Super League (Europe) has agreed to offer free coach travel for all members and season ticket holders for Thursday night televised games.

Yes the offer was managed by the RFL but the cash was from SKY , not sure if the ' pilot was our game with Leeds in the last of our middle 8 matches at Headingley 2016 , that is the 1 st time we were offered them

25 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes the offer was managed by the RFL but the cash was from SKY , not sure if the ' pilot was our game with Leeds in the last of our middle 8 matches at Headingley 2016 , that is the 1 st time we were offered them

Well its odd that on the Sky website news page they weren't bragging about it they only mentioned it as initiative by the Super League Clubs and SLE. The first to do it, as you say, before all the clubs agreed to cover the costs, were Warrington for their match against Leeds, after the success of that experiment by Warrington the clubs got together and agreed to pay the costs.

Follow the facts.

Edited by Padge

1 hour ago, Padge said:

Well its odd that on the Sky website news page they weren't bragging about it they only mentioned it as initiative by the Super League Clubs and SLE. The first to do it, as you say, before all the clubs agreed to cover the costs, were Warrington for their match against Leeds, after the success of that experiment by Warrington the clubs got together and agreed to pay the costs.

Follow the facts.

look call me a lyer if you want i really dont care , this is what I know

For our last middle 8 game against Leeds back in 2016 we were asked to arrange coaches to Headingley , [ by ' we ' I mean my wife and myself as we run the away coaches for Leigh , have done for several years ] we dealt directly with the RFL [ its now 18 months ago and I dont recall who it was we spoke to ] they told us that SKY were willing to pay for away coaches to enhance the atmosphere at the thursday night games

We sold [ gave tickets out and arranged ] 13 coaches , that is the first time we had free coaches made available , during 2017 we had some more including the 1 st fixture of the season at Cas , by this time the club had taken control of issuing the coach tickets as they only then gave them out with a match ticket

So do I care if Warrington did it first ? , no , but the exact words told to me by the person involved at the RFL [ from the finance department as I recall ] were that SKY were stumping up the cash , maybe the SL clubs werent happy with the Thursday nights and requested it , maybe the RFL requested it , maybe the person at the RFL was wrong , maybe she was lying

And as I said I suggested it to Alan Rowley back in 2008\9 as a better financial option than spending it on fireworks and the like when we played Widnes , we had well beaten them 2 weeks earlier in the league and I suggested it as they were unlikely to want to bring a good following for another tonking , we put it too them we would finance 5 coaches , Steve O Connor then agreed to match that , they brought 9 in total as I recall