Sign in to follow this  
Farmduck

Obituary Thread - 2018

Ingvar Kamprad, founder of IKEA aged 91

Will his coffin be flat packed?

Edited by Bleep1673

Edited by Bleep1673

So, she's finally gone. My grandmother, who I called mum, died just before midnight after lasting a lot longer than anyone could have predicted. Right to the very end she refused to quit. If anyone ever wondered where my legendary stubbornness came from, there it is.

The one constant in my 46 years of life, robustly supportive when I failed, my biggest cheerleader when I did well. My crutch in the tough years who was always there for advice when I had no clue what to do next, and there have been a lot of those! Someone who was always there just to talk in the good times.

4 hours ago, ckn said:

So, she's finally gone. My grandmother, who I called mum, died just before midnight after lasting a lot longer than anyone could have predicted. Right to the very end she refused to quit. If anyone ever wondered where my legendary stubbornness came from, there it is.

The one constant in my 46 years of life, robustly supportive when I failed, my biggest cheerleader when I did well. My crutch in the tough years who was always there for advice when I had no clue what to do next, and there have been a lot of those! Someone who was always there just to talk in the good times.

Condolences, Craig. Even when you are expecting it, it still hurts.

5 hours ago, ckn said:

So sorry to hear this Craig, this is a tough time in anyone’s life, there’s all sorts of stuff to do and sort out but don’t neglect yourself in this difficult time, take time out if you need to 

Condolences to you and all your family.

9 hours ago, ckn said:

Sad to hear the news. 

11 hours ago, ckn said:

Condolences from the South Coast mate.

9 hours ago, Futtocks said:

John Mahoney, who played Frasier's father.

Ah, that's sad, spent many happy hours watching Frasier. He wasn't too much older than Kelsey Grammar from memory, or he certainly would have had to have had him very young! Although people always say Americans don’t get irony or wit, Frasier had it by the bucketload. In many aspects a very British sitcom.

Although John Mahoney was born in Blackpool, he spent a lot of his younger years in Manchester, his family were based in Withington. Until a few years ago one of the pubs his family apparently frequented had a John Mahoney talent night. Sadly I don’t think any of the talent found could ever match him.

Despite him having a Mancunian background, presumably he never gave Jane Leeves any accent coaching!

8 hours ago, Amber Avenger said:

Ah, that's sad, spent many happy hours watching Frasier. He wasn't too much older than Kelsey Grammar from memory, or he certainly would have had to have had him very young! Although people always say Americans don’t get irony or wit, Frasier had it by the bucketload. In many aspects a very British sitcom.

Although John Mahoney was born in Blackpool, he spent a lot of his younger years in Manchester, his family were based in Withington. Until a few years ago one of the pubs his family apparently frequented had a John Mahoney talent night. Sadly I don’t think any of the talent found could ever match him.

Despite him having a Mancunian background, presumably he never gave Jane Leeves any accent coaching!

...and Jane (from Essex) never coached the oaf who played her brother. His "London" accent crossed more continents than Phileas Fogg.

9 hours ago, Amber Avenger said:

Although people always say Americans don’t get irony or wit, Frasier had it by the bucketload. In many aspects a very British sitcom.

When we went to Florida in 2015, I wore a t shirt that said "Sarcastic comment loading, please wait", I got offered $25 for this tee by Yanks who understand sarcasm. I was recently on an employment course, back in November, it was a team building course for unemployed, I was voted "Most Sarcastic" of 12 over 5 days. It was meant as a barb, but I wear it with pride.

I also got voted Team Leader, for some reason. Tw ats. Mind you, that's Hastings. Lack of leadership, that's why our MP is home secretary, and does bog all for her constituents.

Edited by Bleep1673
Swear word

48 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

...and Jane (from Essex) never coached the oaf who played her brother. His "London" accent crossed more continents than Phileas Fogg.

I read the other day the brother won an Emmy award for his role in Frasier! And nominated two other times!! 

13 hours ago, Amber Avenger said:

He certainly never gave her accent coaching, if anything she sounds to be from Leeds.

BTW in Corrie, Gail (Helen Worth) is only 8 years younger than Audrey (played by Sue Nicholls)

I love Frasier.  I think they're all very good.  But as you say the British accents of the minor characters do tend to be off a bit.  e.g Daphne's former English boyfriend, Clive presumably supposed to be a Manc. says "laverly"  I've never heard a Manc say that!

2 minutes ago, Trojan said:

He certainly never gave her accent coaching, if anything she sounds to be from Leeds.

BTW in Corrie, Gail (Helen Worth) is only 8 years younger than Audrey (played by Sue Nicholls)

I love Frasier.  I think they're all very good.  But as you say the British accents of the minor characters do tend to be off a bit.  e.g Daphne's former English boyfriend, Clive presumably supposed to be a Manc. says "laverly"  I've never heard a Manc say that!

I think the central core of Frasier, Niles and Martin is pretty much flawless, and the writing makes up for any shortcomings in the supporting cast. Of the latter, Roz is wonderful, Daphne pretty good, and the rest are just about up to the job at best and perfunctory characterisations at worst.

Best guest star: former astronaut John Glenn. :biggrin: 

7 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I think the central core of Frasier, Niles and Martin is pretty much flawless, and the writing makes up for any shortcomings in the supporting cast. Of the latter, Roz is wonderful, Daphne pretty good, and the rest are just about up to the job at best and perfunctory characterisations at worst.

Best guest star: former astronaut John Glenn. :biggrin: 

For me the best guest "star" is the girl who plays Renata, Frasier's landed with babysitting  her in "Can't Buy Me Love"

Edited by Trojan