Sign in to follow this  
Farmduck

Obituary Thread - 2018

The NRL has been saddened following the passing on Tuesday of former leading referee Kevin Roberts, aged 76.

Mr Roberts officiated in 272 first grade matches in a distinguished career from 1975 through to 1988.

He refereed three grand finals (1983-85), six State of Origin matches (1982, 1984-86) and four Test matches (1984, 1986).

Roberts was a Life Member of the Eastern Suburbs Referees Association, the South Sydney Referees Association and the NSW Rugby League.

As a player, he also represented South Sydney in 13 first-grade games (1960-62 and 1964-65).

• Like 1

Sad to say, I've never heard of any of them until now. Sorry.

Denis Jackson 

One of the Barrow  greats and was once described as " pound for pound one of the toughest men in rugby league.

Thanks for the memories Denis.

Edited by Bearman
Spelling

On 09/01/2018 at 6:33 AM, Bleep1673 said:

Sad to say, I've never heard of any of them until now. Sorry.

Where have you been for the last century?  Moody Blues member,  Immediate Records co founder, astronaut John Young??

Even if you re a youngster I m sure all the above have featured on TV or newspapers in the last few decades.

19 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

RIP Bella Emberg

What, again? This seems to get spread around the internet every six months. She's like the British Abe Vigoda. Except that, after many many false alarms, Abe's actually dead now.

Edited by Futtocks

When I was just beginning to become aware of Football, and sport in general, Cyrille was one of the first to catch my eye. Even from a position of ignorance, I could see he was one hell of a player. Learning more about the man over the years just increased my respect for him.

No age. Many  footballers, especially from this era,  seem prone to early deaths, I wonder why.