Sign in to follow this  
750VFR

Raiders on TV

Last year Premier Sports subscribers got to see the Raiders play twice in Canada but also the Wolfpack's other games so that we were able to familiarise ourselves with all the clubs in League 1, maybe before seeing them at CP or on the road.

The Championship Clubs, apparently taking a stance from Leigh seem now to be questioning the validity of any RFL agreement with the Wolfpack to televise the games they participate in but with no fee to the hosts. A parallel might be drawn with Stobart's 'sponsorship' of SuperLeague where they got naming rights in exchange for liveried trailers but no money.

I wonder what the view from the terraces at CP is, no pun intended?

As I understand it. Sky have the rghts to Championship games and can show as many as they want to. The clubs received a share of the Sky money in their central distribution. I don't remember any clubs refusing to take that money.

Now, Sky have "sold" their permission to Premier Sports who are set to broadcast the Wolfpack games on the Sky platform.

Effectively they have subcontracted the production to a third party

I would think that if the SKY/ RFL contract allows them to do that the Sky  lawyers will force it through.

A well thought out and presented view Ron but I wonder how clubs like Festherstone, who I think have a pay TV Chanel, circumnavigate the Sky contract!

Sky pay for Superleague (Europe) and out of the goodness of their hearts the rfl trickle some money down to the lower leagues. The teams in the lower divisions , unless it has changed recently, have always been able to negotiate a tv contract if they can find someone willing to pay. I would think any team was within their rights to refuse entry to cameras to their ground unless they had some benefit or perhaps just thought it was good for the game.