Sign in to follow this  
philipw

Woods gone

Need to think completely outside the box on this.

For me I'd go after Amy Trask (ex CEO of the Oakland Raiders in the NFL)

Eric Perez & Sally Bolton to be on the shortlist if they want to be. David Cameron might be a surprise interested party with the right clout and connections through which to make his comeback siding with the rise and expansion of the greatest game.

38 minutes ago, philipw said:

A number of players have got involved in the administration side, with people like JP,  Sinfield completing MSc in Sport Administration so not a bad shout, but needs someone with extensive experience I think.

It’s an awful shout. They absolutely nowhere near enough experience. What the sport needs is someone with extensive experience beyond the sports narrow boundaries in the UK. This type of individual should then be supported by advisors from within the sport.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

It’s an awful shout. They absolutely nowhere near enough experience. What the sport needs is someone with extensive experience beyond the sports narrow boundaries in the UK. This type of individual should then be supported by advisors from within the sport.

Agreed - I meant having a/some ex-player(s) involved would be worthwhile - at crucial this point in the game's history, business experience and influence in spheres such as TV, media and marketing are vital

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Can he take Brian 'Invisible' Barwick with him.

1 hour ago, The 4 of Us said:

An opportunity for the whole sport to get its house in order. Hopefully someone with experience from another high profile sport with a professional and community spread.

1 hour ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

I wonder if any recently retired ex players are going to be considered?

1 hour ago, The 4 of Us said:

The sport doesn’t need a figurehead. It needs someone who can cut through the interested parties and set the sport up as a 21st Century organisation. Especially in light of government pushes for more transparency.

1 hour ago, EastLondonMike said:

Good news if true.

Not sure if its possible or not, as he's currently SL CEO, but i'd imagine Roger Draper will be eyeing the top job..

One name i'd like to throw into the mix, who i think would be a good option, and thats Mark Evans. Former CEO of Harlequins RU and Melbourne Storm. Who did some great work at both clubs and seems to be the kind of guy who gets things done.

1 hour ago, nadera78 said:

Inventing the Grand Final and Magic Weekend. Bringing in Catalans and Toronto, as if they were both his idea. Even spinning England reaching the RLWC Final as partly down to him.

For me, and he's only partly responsible for this, the game has regressed massively under his leadership.

The Future is league loves all the above comments

Thank goodness he's gone. Now we can get on with the task of rubbishing his successor. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

38 minutes ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

Hoorah!! About time. The appointment of his replacement is absolutely critical.  It needs to not be one of the ‘old boys’ and needs a fresh pair of eyes.

Maybe this clears the way to him becoming CEO at Odsal.

Whatever happened to that idea?

7 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Thank goodness he's gone. Now we can get on with the task of rubbishing his successor. 

That's quite a worrying prospect John, just suppose what if his successor is good, that will never do.

Brian Barwick comes in for a lot of criticism on here, and i have participated in that on a few occassions, but i've heard from a couple of different and respected sources from within the game that say he is a good administrator, and that maybe his opportunity to make an impression has been blocked/thwarted by the guy whose now leaving.

17 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Maybe this clears the way to him becoming CEO at Odsal.

Whatever happened to that idea?

Surely, with all his entensive involvement in all that has happened with the various iterations of the Bulls in recent years, in the stadium acquisition and therefater, in selecting the various owners for the iterations of the club, and with the big tribunal case coming up later this month, and with all his detailed inside knowledge of all of these things, the RFL would not sanction any such appointment or buy-in?  Would they?

• Thanks 1

Who knows Adey,who knows? From South Bradford A.R.L.F.C. prop to Bradford Bulls supremo,stranger things have happened in R.L.

The announcement implies he has already resigned as RFL CEO?  And the (stated) fact that they are looking for a new CEO suggests that this was not a long-planned development, otherwise they would have a successor already lined up?

I assume the termination agreement requires him nevertheless to assist the RFL at the imminent Bradford employment tribunal hearing?  You would have thought his testimony and account must be central to the RFL's defence?

I hope the RFL is able to secure a capable, effective, respected and trusted successor - the game in recent times has rarely needed one more.

It must just be rugby league that consistently appears to lack any forward planning.

This has been mooted for quite some time yet no one in position to step straight in - despite being on the cusp of the new season with future 'plans' still not finalised.

Tesco - had a successor in place to replace the successful Leahy - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/analysis-and-features/terry-leahy-to-leave-tesco-after-three-decades-1994919.html

Marks and Sparks,likewise - https://www.theguardian.com/business/2011/jan/02/marks-boss-rose-steps-down

I would like a female in charge so the 'all boys club network/old boys network' can be removed.

If I was Bradford follower I may be a little bit worried....Strange timing.

Edited by Angelic Cynic

3 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

If I was Bradford follower I may be a little bit worried....Strange timing.

Bradford followers in recent years are ALWAYS worried. It is an essential qualification for the vocation these days.

Curious why you think the timing is strange? 

• Like 1

You'd imagine a position of this importance would have a quite lengthy notice period, so if he's leaving at the end of the month it should have been known some months back and the task of replacing him well under way.

1 minute ago, EastLondonMike said:

You'd imagine a position of this importance would have a quite lengthy notice period, so if he's leaving at the end of the month it should have been known some months back and the task of replacing him well under way.

SO you would expect and, unless this has been brought about unexpectedly and recently, for whatever reason, you would assume a succession announcement must be imminent?  Or that his successor is working HIS notice, and an announcement is waiting on agreement from his current employers?

3 minutes ago, Adeybull said:

SO you would expect and, unless this has been brought about unexpectedly and recently, for whatever reason, you would assume a succession announcement must be imminent?  Or that his successor is working HIS notice, and an announcement is waiting on agreement from his current employers?

Anywhere else in life you'd expect it.. not necessarily in RL though..

East London Mike,

It was known some months back.Blind side Johnny had an "educated guess" that it would be in February,my "educated guess" was early January.And I think we were not the only two posters with "educated guesses"

• Thanks 1

Can someone explain to me why Wood is hated so much? Seen some dreadful comments about him in social media. All senior figures in sport will be divisive,  and others will think they know better, but what has he done to deserve the abuse? Genuine question, I think he's done OK, am I missing something? 

19 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Can someone explain to me why Wood is hated so much? Seen some dreadful comments about him in social media. All senior figures in sport will be divisive,  and others will think they know better, but what has he done to deserve the abuse? Genuine question, I think he's done OK, am I missing something? 

Ask around.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Adeybull said:

Bradford followers in recent years are ALWAYS worried. It is an essential qualification for the vocation these days.

Curious why you think the timing is strange? 

Structures for 2019 still to be announced and just weeks away from 2018 campaign begins.

Month of Bradford Tribunal and lawyers acting for one party may have read the papers.It may not look good when it goes public.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

I look forward to the game being unified behind the new man like they were with Lewis, Tunnicliffe and Lindsay!

Im happy to see a change now, i think sonetimes your 'brand' can become toxic and we had more than reached that point - fresh blood will be interesting.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Draper in charge amd I think he is still fresh enough. He may however see the power in heading up the SL comp and make a move that way.

I think that is what will happen if I'm honest. I don't think they're going to shock us with an outstanding appointment more likely we will see a new face, unknown but with a much smaller portfolio. Which I wouldn't be against

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

While he has done some good things such as Magic Weekend we've had bad things such as structure changes every few years, no real plan for expansion and lack of transparency at the RFL

• Thanks 1

Angela, I think you will realise that lots of people and supporters would have known this was coming.It really was fairly common knowledge that the last season was Mr.Woods last.It was actually reported last April in one Rugby League magazine that this was his last season.