Sign in to follow this  
The Daddy

Sally Bolton - A candidate to replace Nigel Wood

My source is the sun (I'm not going to link that dirty rag) 

I don't know too much about her stance on expansion etc. Would she be a good shout? 

I'm not going to link to it, but I did read it.... Okkkkaaaay ;)

The piece also suggests Blake Solly and Ralph Rimmer as candidates, so hopefully its a case of speculative journalism rather than any inside knowledge...

Putting 2+2 together with the people most associated with RL.

My shout is still Mark Evans. Who i think would be good. Another name to throw in to the ring could be Shane Richardson. Not sure what the Aussies posters on here think of him in his recent roles with the NRL and Souths, but someone with experience of the English game, and administration at a high level.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Putting 2+2 together with the people most associated with RL.

My shout is still Mark Evans. Who i think would be good. Another name to throw in to the ring could be Shane Richardson. Not sure what the Aussies posters on here think of him in his recent roles with the NRL and Souths, but someone with experience of the English game, and administration at a high level.

Shane Richardson would be good.  

34 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Genuine question Why would the Head of Corporate Affairs at the All England Tennis Club be the slightest bit interested in being CEO of the RFL?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/sally-bolton-obe-88a1a932/

Why wouldn't she? I would much prefer the RFL job to faffing about at Wimbledon for two weeks a year.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Not held in much high regard nowadays.

Yesterdays man

I seemed to think he was recently pictured in RLIF photo (maybe not) but I don’t think he’s yesterday’s man.  The appointment with Souths might be more of an issue.  He’s a good man.

1 minute ago, Lowdesert said:

I seemed to think he was recently pictured in RLIF photo (maybe not) but I don’t think he’s yesterday’s man.  The appointment with Souths might be more of an issue.  He’s a good man.

He might be a good man, but he's beat years are behind him

1 minute ago, The Future is League said:

He might be a good man, but he's beat years are behind him

How do you know?  Do you know him?

Whoever it is has to have experience, tact and vision.  Certainly is a different set up to NRL.

Who and how the candidate is chosen will be, I would imagine, by those who championed Wood, agreed his pay increases that upset some people and backed his decisions.  Will they want an internal candidate, rather than a new face who will find issues with every stone he/she turns over?  Or go with what they know.  Interesting.   Many people say they want change, champion change, embrace it.  When it happens, with a new face maybe, they fight against it.

18 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Why wouldn't she? I would much prefer the RFL job to faffing about at Wimbledon for two weeks a year.

Indeed you might. That does not mean to say she wouldn't.  

As i understand it, the AE is a somewhat bigger enterprise than the RFL, and its activities extend beyond two weeks.

https://suite.endole.co.uk/insight/company/07546773-the-all-england-lawn-tennis-club-championships-limited

As for the other names mentioned, they seem just to be from a list of the games mates, a revolving door. It would be nice to think that the RFL would conduct a proper search.

• Like 1

Not Solly, definitely not Rimmer. Im not sure Bolton would want it or is particularly suited to it though she did a great job with the World Cup.

• Like 1

How does Bolton's cv look?

Outside of the RLWC in 2013 what has she delivered? 

She was at Wigan for a spell iirc, she was events director or similar at the rfl for a while, she left her World Championsip athletics role.

She is clearly talented and has landed nice roles, but genuinely interested in what she has delivered. She doesnt appear to hang around, as has been suggested her choice.

Dave Smith seemed to be to do a good job of shaking up the vested interests at the NRL and Fox before they decided he was too much of his own man. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Indeed you might. That does not mean to say she wouldn't.  

As i understand it, the AE is a somewhat bigger enterprise than the RFL, and its activities extend beyond two weeks.

https://suite.endole.co.uk/insight/company/07546773-the-all-england-lawn-tennis-club-championships-limited

As for the other names mentioned, they seem just to be from a list of the games mates, a revolving door. It would be nice to think that the RFL would conduct a proper search.

I was being a tad facetious. But the remuneration associated with the RFL role is not inconsiderable, and the opportunity to make a big impact greater as a CEO than as a head of corporate affairs. I don't see any reason to do down the RFL job.

Of course you are right that the RFL should conduct a proper search, but would venture that, Richard Lewis aside, they are not known for going far outside what they know already.

Agree  re the package. Should be heavily incentivised. I dont think there are enough Execc Directors on the board, either. Whoever get the gig needs more muscle, more support. At least a Media and Marketing Director. All Directors should have the power to direct, not just do the bidding of the CEO.

Edited by JohnM

3 hours ago, JohnM said:

Genuine question Why would the Head of Corporate Affairs at the All England Tennis Club be the slightest bit interested in being CEO of the RFL?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/sally-bolton-obe-88a1a932/

We all hailed her efforts at the 2013 World Cup so she has organisational skills.

The RFL offered her to help with the last WC but was rebuffed (a monumental error as it turned out) and so she moved on.

It's a very well paid job

Finally maybe she is passionate about the game and would like nothing better than to be able to run it 

Poisonned chalice. No money on earth can compensate for the opprobrium she would attract from this forum the first  time she did something it doesn't like.

• Like 1

Here's the news story from the last time someone from the LTA became the head of the RFL

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/1899640.stm

Running a whole sport is clearly a step up from what she is doing now - it's a big job with a much higher public profile than her current one.

Mark Evans would be an interesting appointment, given his background with Harlequins/Saracens & Melbourne Storm, would certainly ruffle some feathers on here.

Does SB work for the LTA, though?

Of course, if she wishes to apply, the process is fair and above board and not predjudiced against women, and she get the gig, then good for her. But a step up? Really?