Sign in to follow this  
West Leeds Riviera

Will Leeds break SL attendance record?

Recommended Posts

The current record held by Wigan is 25,004 at the DW v Saints in 2005.

i think the game V Cas at ER has the best chance of breaking it, over 18K were at Headingley last season to watch them

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

The current record held by Wigan is 25,004 at the DW v Saints in 2005.

i think the game V Cas at ER has the best chance of breaking it, over 18K were at Headingley last season to watch them

 

The only club in the country that can break this attendance record without the need for away support,would be a great achievement if they do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I await my pal Steve Reed to contribute here.

After all, with Hull KR being in the "wilderness" during 2017, a prime fixture v Leeds away at Elland Rd early this year should be a real threat to the Wire v Fax attendance record at Odsal in the 1950's.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jpmc said:

The only club in the country that can break this attendance record without the need for away support,would be a great achievement if they do it.

I think they should take a game to Elland Road every year, I'm sure fans will buy into the novelty of it

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thursday night in February will struggle to get to 100,000 even with free buses. But I will be there even though it means a 3am arrive home.

And what's this about 2017 in the wilderness? Think we were very much in the spotlight and experienced a great Championship competition more interesting at times than a sterile SL.

 

Edited by stevereed100

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

I think they should take a game to Elland Road every year, I'm sure fans will buy into the novelty of it

Should have done it a long time ago really,the long term benefits could have been fantastic,really hope they make it work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

I think they should take a game to Elland Road every year, I'm sure fans will buy into the novelty of it

Wasn't it more that they couldn't, due to the previous owners attitude?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All clubs should be aiming to break these sort of records, good on Leeds if they can pull it off.

These things do tend to create publicity.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, philipw said:

Wasn't it more that they couldn't, due to the previous owners attitude?

Leeds United didn't own the ground before, making it hard for Rhinos to arrange a fixture. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

Leeds United didn't own the ground before, making it hard for Rhinos to arrange a fixture. 

Im sure I remember something about MC not wanting them playing there as well though, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good crowd expected for Thursday, looks like the North Stand is sold out, only 2 blocks available in the East stand and tickets for the West stand have been given to community clubs.

Capacitys are:

North Stand 7,000

East lower 10,000 

South Stand 5,000

West Stand 11,000

could be looking at 20K for a Thursday night

IMG_1936.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Novelty will also attract more fans to Headingley when the north south stands are completed . I expect it to virtually sell out for much of the 2019 season 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

Novelty will also attract more fans to Headingley when the north south stands are completed . I expect it to virtually sell out for much of the 2019 season 

Do you think? I'm kinda surprised they haven't increase the capacity 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with what has been said earlier about also making this a competition to have the record attendance.

If Leeds can break the Super League attendance record by staging a game at Elland Rd, then maybe it might encourage Wigan and Saints to take one of their derby matches to maybe Anfield or the Etihad to grab the record back.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might be worth adding, nine of the top ten Bradford home attendances in the SL era were against Leeds (24.020, 23.375, 22,843, 21,874, 21,237, 21,102, 20,851, 19,786, 19,623). I recall there being thousands - and I mean thousands - of Leeds fans in the ground at each of those games.  I think the Leeds/Bulls CC derby at the then-McAlpine in 1999 attracted well over 23k? 

Guess shows the potential for very large local derby crowds was certainly there not that many years ago, if the ground is big enough? You would hope the potential is still there, and other than maybe a Wigan/Saints derby, and then when a lot was at stake, I would think only Leeds now have the potential to beat the record.  Do any other clubs have anything like the travelling support the Bulls had in their heyday? Since I think it will need a great deal of travelling support as well to make it happen.  Either that, or some major initiative by Leeds to attract new/lapsed supporters? Be good to see the record broken, for sure! And especially over this side of the hill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

Good crowd expected for Thursday, looks like the North Stand is sold out, only 2 blocks available in the East stand and tickets for the West stand have been given to community clubs.

Capacitys are:

North Stand 7,000

East lower 10,000 

South Stand 5,000

West Stand 11,000

could be looking at 20K for a Thursday night

IMG_1936.PNG

MAte you're looking at the LUFC sales. LUFC are only selling those 2 blocks, and have hardly sold any! This is what Leeds RL are selling

5a7714d59eba7_Screenshot2018-02-04at14_12_08.png.f213faf5a8271e195097d071f884626e.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, PeterTunks said:

MAte you're looking at the LUFC sales. LUFC are only selling those 2 blocks, and have hardly sold any! This is what Leeds RL are selling

5a7714d59eba7_Screenshot2018-02-04at14_12_08.png.f213faf5a8271e195097d071f884626e.png

 

Ah, couldn't find image on Leeds Rhinos site only on LUFC so assumed that was all the tickets.

Wonder how many Hull KR have sold 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

Do you think? I'm kinda surprised they haven't increase the capacity 

yes I'm surprised at that too ,I think that maybe the size of the new SS was as large as they were permitted and the North the cricket getting the lions share . I would have thought 22-24K would have been adequate . I just think that because of the novelty effect and the Sleeves promotion of the development there will be an average of in excess of over 18K for 2019 or whenever its fully open .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

yes I'm surprised at that too ,I think that maybe the size of the new SS was as large as they were permitted and the North the cricket getting the lions share . I would have thought 22-24K would have been adequate . I just think that because of the novelty effect and the Sleeves promotion of the development there will be an average of in excess of over 18K for 2019 or whenever its fully open .

They could have filled the SW and SE corners in though I suppose and get rid of the floodlights

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

Wonder how many Hull KR have sold 

A billion?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Id be disappointed if we don't. Im glad we have taken a couple of games there but I wish we had shown a bit more ambition with it, could have used as an opportunity to break all kinds of records, make a few casuals a bit more sticky and get a few new fans in aswell. 

On a slightly different tangent id like to see all clubs try and break this record at least once a year. We have 2-3 months when there is no football, its the height of summer and we should 'take Saturdays' and try and get one big game every week which we work to sell 20-30k tickets for. Give each side a chance to break it over 12 weeks

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

They could have filled the SW and SE corners in though I suppose and get rid of the floodlights

I think in the next few years the stadium will continue to be tweaked up and ive noticed the club haven't mentioned the western terrace only outsiders. It be they are in negotiation ? just a thought, but I think they will need to pay off quite a bit off the "mortgage"before that can come about

Edited by fieldofclothofgold

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The West Stand at Elland Road hasn't even gone on general sale has it? I've seen flyers pumping discounted (but not massively discounted) tickets into schools for that stand.

So I'd be surprised if any records were challenged by the HKR game - including Leeds' own SL record (the memorable 21,666 vs Bradford in '99). Maybe the Cas game will achieve something more - although that might require Cas's on-field performances to pick up a little from Friday night.

As for Headingley's capacity reduction, this is something I've been highlighting for a year or two - the amount of money being spent to achieve a smaller stadium is little short of scandalous. Yes the South Stand is indeed as large as they can get away with but the offset of a much smaller North Stand is very disappointing. And it's less to do with Yorkshire (who are simply using all the space on their side to increase seating capacity) and everything to do with the huge banqueting suite which takes up a proportion of the space where RL seats used to be. I'll be impressed (but not surprised) if Hetherington and Oates can sell yet more corporate capacity for RL games but the overall scheme ends up falling short capacity-wise. It gives the club little scope to benefit from any uplift in crowds which many clubs benefit from after modernising their facilities and also gives no opportunity to target areas to grow the market: until these Elland Rd games Leeds' scope for ticket discounting and targeting schools has been limited as most games all the seats could be sold at face value.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday



Rugby League World - Sept 2018

Rugby League World - Sept 2018

Rugby League Books On Sale Here