Tony Mac

Rochdale Looking For Payment Reductions

Have a look on hornet's forum,it's not looking for them.As I said in their forum,we are rivals but at the end of the day we need each other.

• Like 1

Hmm maybe hornets in breach of contract.

Now if a player did that all hell would break loose 

I've just read that hornets thread..

Trying to pin the blame on Toronto & Toulouse cos they bring no fans is pathetic..

Clubs need to focus on attracting home fans not away fans!,put on ticket deals for these games,turn these games into events,have mayfield play a curtain raiser,have a charity day,have a Fiji day!...whatever!

• Like 5

Endemic of the game at the lower echelons I'm afraid, clubs desperate to stay in the Championship.With the changes at the RFL/SLE it will get worse I reckon. Money from Sky etc is poorly distributed now down the pyramid and with SL definitely looking to run the whole RL scene in this country,the future for all lower clubs is very precarious not just financially but their very existence as sporting teams.

Think Hornets are saying they lost some sponsors Spud and thats the main reason for the shortfall. They are right with Toronto and Toulouse though, away fans are vital to clubs (yes we all could do with more home fans) but the loss of us and Bradford will cost them c2000 paying fans. Big loss to Hornets that, as it would be to most clubs on low budgets.

When SL announce the new super plans I'm getting the vibes that us at the bottom of the food chain will become redundant. Franchises and feeder clubs,that's all SL want,stuff the rest.

• Like 2

Agree , sign of the times , hope the changes at the RFL yield some common sense ?!!!

Looks like it's a complete change with Wood and Draper going , just need to get rid of Rimmer.

Whoever's next in has a tough job !

• Like 2

8 hours ago, roughyed34 said:

Think Hornets are saying they lost some sponsors Spud and thats the main reason for the shortfall.

It also sounds like they made a budget and signed players, then someone found some 'extra' costs that were not accounted for in the budget.  Not a great situation to be in.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, roughyed34 said:

Endemic of the game at the lower echelons I'm afraid, clubs desperate to stay in the Championship.With the changes at the RFL/SLE it will get worse I reckon. Money from Sky etc is poorly distributed now down the pyramid and with SL definitely looking to run the whole RL scene in this country,the future for all lower clubs is very precarious not just financially but their very existence as sporting teams.

Well everyone wanted to get rid of Nige and many wanted the championships to split, surely they will be happy with the situation?

Think that will depend on what the restructure brings. If SL becomes franchised then the only way we will see  Championship/1 is if there is indeed a breakaway. What's the point otherwise if there is no chance of promotion? The RFL should have released the format/structure for 2019 at the end of last season not the coming one. Not much time for clubs to adjust to the changes. At least clubs would know where they stand and what realistically they could achieve  this season.As for Big Nige etc It needed a shake up at the RFL but I feel SLE have an agenda to become the controlling body and will eventually integrate the RFL into that organisation at professional level.

Hornets may have made errors in budget etc but I ain't gonna criticise that when we seem to have more tax problems in a season than soft mick and that's supposed to be budgeted for!! A lot of clubs at Championship/1 level exist on a very fine line and no financial stability. That's partially because the "support" and distribution of central funding is so biased toward SL and the Champ top 4.

Rochdale won't be the last to suffer financial problems this season, more will follow I'm sure during the season.

• Like 2

Its fair to say that if the Hornets cannot manage financially with their setup (which I once considered a model for ORLFC) then as roughyed34 says...there will inevitably be trouble ahead...we are going to be cast adrift by superleague self interest...The referring to the RU model says it all....An elite on inflated wages...with growing mediocrity player wise... will it be entertaining? Its a question worth asking!

The writing's  been on the wall for clubs like ours for quite a while really. I don't think the RFL would be overly concerned if any of Oldham, Swinton or Hornets folded. That's not where they see the future of pro Rugby League.

Most clubs at our level exist on a financial tightrope, so it's not surprising one or two fall off from time to time.

I had to smile at the guy earlier offering advice as to how we should increase our gates. I'm sure the management at Oldham RLFC would love to get more through the gate as well. The way I see it the three clubs I've mentioned have a regular fan base of around 2,000 at the moment.

12 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

I've just read that hornets thread..

Trying to pin the blame on Toronto & Toulouse cos they bring no fans is pathetic..

Clubs need to focus on attracting home fans not away fans!,put on ticket deals for these games,turn these games into events,have mayfield play a curtain raiser,have a charity day,have a Fiji day!...whatever!

Yorks biggest gate last season was against Toronto, York worked hard at promoting the game theres nothing to stop all clubs doing that instead of expecting fans just to turn up, were doing the same for the Bulls game next month.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The writing's  been on the wall for clubs like ours for quite a while really. I don't think the RFL would be overly concerned if any of Oldham, Swinton or Hornets folded. That's not where they see the future of pro Rugby League.

I think they are concerned about us (and SL, and TV, and internationals, and amateur), the question is do they have the ability, authority, vision and cash to do anything about it?  As far as the future of pro rugby, we hardly help ourselves on that front.  Would you see Oldham (groundless, cashless, etc) as the future to save the game?

12 hours ago, roughyed34 said:

Think Hornets are saying they lost some sponsors Spud and thats the main reason for the shortfall. They are right with Toronto and Toulouse though, away fans are vital to clubs (yes we all could do with more home fans) but the loss of us and Bradford will cost them c2000 paying fans. Big loss to Hornets that,

Clubs that base their budgets on getting a 1000 fans from Bradford and 500 from Oldham are doomed to failure..

They should be looking at getting 100,200,300 extra HOME fans to home games.

The basis of business plans have Tobe based on home fans & season tickets..away fans are a bonus! And if we know certain teams aren't going to bring away fans we must try our hardest to make up the difference...

Once up on a time we  turned a game into a charity game,for the RFL benevolent fund.....and 4000+ people turned up for a TV game!

• Like 1

Just now, Bedford Roughyed said:

I think they are concerned about us (and SL, and TV, and internationals, and amateur), the question is do they have the ability, authority, vision and cash to do anything about it?  As far as the future of pro rugby, we hardly help ourselves on that front.  Would you see Oldham (groundless, cashless, etc) as the future to save the game?

The pessimist in me says for our teams the future is extremely bleak. Have a look around the stand tonight. There'll be more guys on the pitch under 30 yrs old than there will be in the stand.

But what do we do to attract kids?..

The kids that do come are 3,4,5 year olds cos their parents bring them...the 10,12,14 year olds that play for waterhead,saddle worth,st Anne's etc don't come...why?

All the kids registered at local amateur clubs need to be given free season tickets..and the parents of those kids given half price tickets!

Invest in the future!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

The kids that do come are 3,4,5 year olds cos their parents bring them...the 10,12,14 year olds that play for waterhead,saddle worth,st Anne's etc don't come...why?

All the kids registered at local amateur clubs need to be given free season tickets..and the parents of those kids given half price tickets!

Invest in the future!

At York kids under 16 gain free entry to games, our gates last season went up by about 60%.

Just now, roughyedspud said:

Invest in the future!

I don't know the answer to that one. 

They don`t come now perhaps because Oldham are now firmly established (for a whole host of reasons) as third tier part time...

The lads try..but believe me it isn`t the same as it once was...not even close.

Past Greatness seems further off than ever now...Its hard to take is that!  I know cos I was there! (as was my Dad, his workmates, my three sisters my brother, my girlfriend, and a fair few mates.)

It felt GOOD to be an Oldham Fan...We so nearly beat the Aussie superstar test team...what a night that was! we beat the pies...Paddy Kirwan,  robbed by the Beardmores. beaten single handedly by the great Wally Lewis (away at W field) beat Hull at Hull.

• Like 2

I too remember those days, should in front of the main stand listening to the old guard going on about the fifties. 

I don't think those times will return in the short, there are no long term planning because the game is broke and the rfl simply look to the superleague and the odd international game. 

Some superleague clubs are struggling to find large crowds what chances do we have when we play in limehurst not shedding 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

As Spanish knight says kids under 16 should be free.

As I understand it our chief executive did the calculations regarding the new kids passport that the rugby league is supposed to be bringing out. Alledgedly it would cost  Hornets £5,000 going off last years figures. That's a lot of dosh when every £1 counts.