Sign in to follow this  

I have always been fascinated by the sport, but I have never understood why GB have never been good, or consistently good. We have great athletes, world beating Air force pilots to drive the bob, and some of the best aerodynamic designers in the world (Formula 1, eg). But I wonder why cant we put a grade 1 team to match the Germans, who are destroying everyone this year in all levels of sliding. 

GB has occasional blips into the top 10, but there is no consistency. We can do it with the right engineering, and the right athletes. Oh, and finances.

If anyone isn't sure, BBC red button, this weekend is from St Moritz, and GB always uses last seasons Austrian Sled, which was the previous season German one.

Edited by Bleep1673

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

I have always been fascinated by the sport, but I have never understood why GB have never been good, or consistently good. We have great athletes, world beating Air force pilots to drive the bob, and some of the best aerodynamic designers in the world (Formula 1, eg). But I wonder why cant we put a grade 1 team to match the Germans, who are destroying everyone this year in all levels of sliding. 

GB has occasional blips into the top 10, but there is no consistency. We can do it with the right engineering, and the right athletes. Oh, and finances.

If anyone isn't sure, BBC red button, this weekend is from St Moritz, and GB always uses last seasons Austrian Sled, which was the previous season German one.

Ya...and put 'Eddie The Eagle' in as the driver!

Lack of a home track to practise on must be an issue? There's a short (100 metre) track at Bath University that they use for training the starts, for everything else you have to go to Switzerland, Germany etc.

No tracks in Monaco, Romainia, Jamaica, doest stop them

4 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

No tracks in Monaco, Romainia, Jamaica, doest stop them

We have a better record than all of them put together. We will always lag behind the likes of Germany,Switzerland and Italy though. 

Germany has a number of tracks and a load of Sponsors like BMW-who do the design and testing and also heaps of money. Königsee, down near  Berchtesgaden, is Probably the Main place.  Its where many luge and Bob athletes train more or less FT the whole year round. This despite them being in the Police or Army. Amazing to watch a luge or Bob go down and the speeding they reach.

I guess the Brits are members of the British Army that are allowed to train more than be actually soldiers. Thats how the German system works.