Sign in to follow this  
ckn

Army adverts

Recommended Posts

I'm listening to LBC now and they're covering the new army adverts.  Here's come context on it from the Guardian.

I personally think these adverts are astounding and long overdue.  Far better than the "be the best" dross that concentrated on the Americanised version of unthinking specialists.

Here's the tone of the adverts that were on when I joined up in 1989:

 

The points raised in the new adverts are genuine ones that stop people joining up.  Study after study show that gay people, non-Christian people, women, "average" fitness people, slightly overweight people and so on are put off the army with the macho culture of white, straight, chisel-jawed men dominating.  So, why not address them openly?

Also, the army openly saying that talking about problems is fine is one of most helpful points in preventing and combatting PTSD I've ever seen from the army command in years.

IDS's comments as reported in the Guardian article and others just show why he never got past Lieutenant.  That said, IDS... need more be said?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a random cut of Mail comments, I deliberately left it with the last one.

image.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We don’t want our soldiers coming home with PTSD but we also don’t want the army to offer emotional support.

There are some morons in the world.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just listened to radio 2 debating them, there was an officer on saying that they really do need macho men in the army and cited an example of someone killing a syrian with a spade!

I'm sure we do need some rough lads upfront but I hold the idea that pro army people obsess about logistics and amateurs love tales of daring do and strategy. "Get there the firstest, with the mostest."

So a few smart cookies at the back (not from public schools) wouldn't go a miss, some speed on the flanks and a fail safe at the back would be a good idea. Reminds me of a game i watched recently, 13 aside, hmm??

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

We don’t want our soldiers coming home with PTSD but we also don’t want the army to offer emotional support.

There are some morons in the world.

Quite probably the best summary of the day on this subject anywhere on t'interweb that I've seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dreadnoughts back please said:

I just listened to radio 2 debating them, there was an officer on saying that they really do need macho men in the army and cited an example of someone killing a syrian with a spade!

I'm sure we do need some rough lads upfront but I hold the idea that pro army people obsess about logistics and amateurs love tales of daring do and strategy. "Get there the firstest, with the mostest."

So a few smart cookies at the back (not from public schools) wouldn't go a miss, some speed on the flanks and a fail safe at the back would be a good idea. Reminds me of a game i watched recently, 13 aside, hmm??

 

 

I’ve seen no evidence to suggest that the Muslims or the Gays would not be able to kill a Syrian with a spade.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gingerjon said:

I’ve seen no evidence to suggest that the Muslims or the Gays would not be able to kill a Syrian with a spade.

I felt that was what this chap was implying.

i've also seen a couple of harrowing vidoes showing what muslims can do in Syria.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dreadnoughts back please said:

I just listened to radio 2 debating them, there was an officer on saying that they really do need macho men in the army and cited an example of someone killing a syrian with a spade!

I'm sure we do need some rough lads upfront but I hold the idea that pro army people obsess about logistics and amateurs love tales of daring do and strategy. "Get there the firstest, with the mostest."

So a few smart cookies at the back (not from public schools) wouldn't go a miss, some speed on the flanks and a fail safe at the back would be a good idea. Reminds me of a game i watched recently, 13 aside, hmm??

 

 

To many folk, the army is just the infantry when it's not.  And that's just ONE of the problems the army has in recruitment.  The army has always had a fantastic array of careers that'd suit anyone who can get through the fitness in the basic training, from chef to technology specialist to mechanic to biomedical scientist to doctor to vet to HR specialist and so on for a VERY long list.

Who cares if you're gay, or muslim, or female, or even get a bit weepy at the Corrie theme if you can do one of those jobs and want world class training and opportunities?  The army wants you...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Why would you subject yourself to that and then criminally post some for us all to see?! Have a word in the mirror! 😉

Isn’t it a basic military concept to know your enemy? ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Why would you subject yourself to that and then criminally post some for us all to see?! Have a word in the mirror! 😉

Some people have no more ambition in their lives than to be a backseat driver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ckn said:

Isn’t it a basic military concept to know your enemy? ;) 

Even Hitler wasn’t crazy enough to read the Daily Mail comments section! 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Even Hitler wasn’t crazy enough to read the Daily Mail comments section! 

Snowflake. :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, ckn said:

To many folk, the army is just the infantry when it's not. 

Most important bit though. :tongue:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

I’ll pop next door and speak to a counsellor. 

I was talking about Hitler but, well, if you insist! ;)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Most important bit though. :tongue:

I suppose they do provide an effective speed-bump that stops the thinking part of the army from getting their feelings hurt by the nasty bad guys. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ckn said:

I suppose they do provide an effective speed-bump that stops the thinking part of the army from getting their feelings hurt by the nasty bad guys. :D

Well everyone knows the Marines do the hard bits and the RAF does the thinking bits...

Not sure what we need the army for apart from looking nice in a bearskin or sat on a horse...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ckn said:

I suppose they do provide an effective speed-bump that stops the thinking part of the army from getting their feelings hurt by the nasty bad guys. :D

Thinking part of the army?

you keep telling yourself that 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Well everyone knows the Marines do the hard bits and the RAF does the thinking bits...

Not sure what we need the army for apart from looking nice in a bearskin or sat on a horse...

I LIKE BIG GUNS! :hunter:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Well everyone knows the Marines do the hard bits and the RAF does the thinking bits...

Not sure what we need the army for apart from looking nice in a bearskin or sat on a horse...

The Guards?

hey that canteen won’t guard itself you know 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Shadow said:

The Guards?

hey that canteen won’t guard itself you know 

How else would the Royals keep themselves amused other than betting on when the first soldier in fancy dress would drop on parade during the hottest part of the year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You Brits are so primitive. The Australian Army ONLY recruits women. Seriously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Thinking part of the army?

you keep telling yourself that 😄

I remember my first day in Dortmund, we were told bluntly that BAOR was a meat-shield and speed-bump to slow down the Soviet Shock Armies until the US could ship in its divisions from the US, the second sentence was that there was an entire Soviet artillery division facing us who had a primary role of counter-battery and could be relied on to use at least 100-120 artillery counter-battery weapons per kilometre in the initial assault.  That was nice then.

My boss then said that the forward observer job that I'd been newly minted into was probably the safest job in the BAOR artillery because you either had the infantry to protect you when attached to them, or you were out on your own where two to four man teams had a safety of its own in small numbers.  I was happy with my meat shield infantry colleagues then, I just wouldn't trust them to make a competent brew without hurting themselves. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday



Rugby League World - Nov 2018

Rugby League World - Nov 2018

Rugby League Books On Sale Here