Sign in to follow this  
Dave T

WCC Scheduling

Recommended Posts

Are we learning nothing? 

Melbourne v Leeds kicking off at 9.05am on the Friday.

There are literally two significant markets for this event, Australia and England and they pretty much rule out one of them by this scheduling.

No doubt they will point out that Friday night viewers will bring in more just in Oz than it would on Sky even on the Saturday, but that isnt the point - no terrestrial broadcaster would ever want this event if we treat it like this.

We have seen that the Aussies can get huge figures on a Sat or Sunday, and Sky would have got bigger figures for that.

Why do we keep making it hard to be an RL fan?

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A quick positive, Sky have confirmed theh will be showing all the Wigan and Hull games from Oz live on SS Arena.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Are we learning nothing? 

Melbourne v Leeds kicking off at 9.05am on the Friday.

There are literally two significant markets for this event, Australia and England and they pretty much rule out one of them by this scheduling.

No doubt they will point out that Friday night viewers will bring in more just in Oz than it would on Sky even on the Saturday, but that isnt the point - no terrestrial broadcaster would ever want this event if we treat it like this.

We have seen that the Aussies can get huge figures on a Sat or Sunday, and Sky would have got bigger figures for that.

Why do we keep making it hard to be an RL fan?

Does seem odd as I thought the WCC was meant to be a bigger deal for Super League fans than NRL fans.

Hope Leeds stuff them by the way.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Other broadcasting news though - Catalans home games confirmed as on Sky.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Are we learning nothing? 

Melbourne v Leeds kicking off at 9.05am on the Friday.

There are literally two significant markets for this event, Australia and England and they pretty much rule out one of them by this scheduling.

No doubt they will point out that Friday night viewers will bring in more just in Oz than it would on Sky even on the Saturday, but that isnt the point - no terrestrial broadcaster would ever want this event if we treat it like this.

We have seen that the Aussies can get huge figures on a Sat or Sunday, and Sky would have got bigger figures for that.

Why do we keep making it hard to be an RL fan?

That's what happens when a fixture is scheduled and managed by those that consider the WCC an after thought.

Sad really.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

That's what happens when a fixture is scheduled and managed by those that consider the WCC an after thought.

Sad really.

The Smith - Thurston testimonial was scheduled first the following Friday so it ruled out Sunday really and Wigan and Hull had scheduled on the Saturday before Leeds had won the Grand Final. It would have been poorer scheduling to clash the two. 

Edited by Bilko

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the new direction SL seems to be going in, will they be in charge of scheduling this competition in the future rather than the RFL?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bilko said:

The Smith - Thurston testimonial was scheduled first the following Friday so it ruled out Sunday really and Wigan and Hull had scheduled on the Saturday before Leeds had won the Grand Final. It would have been poorer scheduling to clash the two. 

I mean, its a Saturday and Wollongong and Melbourne are 800km as way from each other. Theres an obvious answer of a 6pm (7am) game followed by an 8pm (9am) game. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scotchy1 said:

I mean, its a Saturday and Wollongong and Melbourne are 800km as way from each other. Theres an obvious answer of a 6pm (7am) game followed by an 8pm (9am) game. 

No its not Wigan v Hull that same weekend its the challenge matches between Hull v St George and Souths v Wigan which are also being televised over there.... And here for that matter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Bilko said:

No its not Wigan v Hull that same weekend its the challenge matches between Hull v St George and Souths v Wigan which are also being televised over there.... And here for that matter. 

Even better a tripleheader, 4:30pm (5:30am) 6:30pm (7:30 am) 8pm (9am)

Edited by scotchy1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bilko said:

The Smith - Thurston testimonial was scheduled first the following Friday so it ruled out Sunday really and Wigan and Hull had scheduled on the Saturday before Leeds had won the Grand Final. It would have been poorer scheduling to clash the two. 

Don't get me started on the Smith-Thurston testimonial.

The NRL deserve a royal ar$s whooping on their shambolic "qualifications" for testimonial fixtures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roughly speaking what do you think the ratings in England would have been if it was on at a better time compared to what they will be with the current scheduling?

Even taking those numbers into account wouldn't it best for the WCC as an event and a product if it is given the best chance for it to sell it's self to the NRL clubs in Australia? For example the better it does and the more popular and profitable that it is the more likely that the NRL clubs are to take it seriously and want to host it in the future which is what the WCC desperately needs if it's going to survive, and prime time on Friday nights gets the best ratings in Aus, thus is the most valuable to sponsors, holds the most prestige, etc.

So isn't the possible growth in interest in the event in Australia (particularly among the NRL clubs) that could be the result of this WCC being as successful as possible worth the concession of holding it at a time that isn't optimal to English supporters just this once.

Besides It's not like when it's held in England that it's on at a good time for audiences in Australia either, it's one of the events major downfalls, the same downfall that has basically killed Super Rugby in this country.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

Roughly speaking what do you think the ratings in England would have been if it was on at a better time compared to what they will be with the current scheduling?

Even taking those numbers into account wouldn't it best for the WCC as an event and a product if it is given the best chance for it to sell it's self to the NRL clubs in Australia? For example the better it does and the more popular and profitable that it is the more likely that the NRL clubs are to take it seriously and want to host it in the future which is what the WCC desperately needs if it's going to survive, and prime time on Friday nights gets the best ratings in Aus, thus is the most valuable to sponsors, holds the most prestige, etc.

So isn't the possible growth in interest in the event in Australia (particularly among the NRL clubs) that could be the result of this WCC being as successful as possible worth the concession of holding it at a time that isn't optimal to English supporters just this once.

Besides It's not like when it's held in England that it's on at a good time for audiences in Australia either, it's one of the events major downfalls, the same downfall that has basically killed Super Rugby in this country.   

You offer a very valid argument GD. 

My only counter is that if the WCC must persist to proceed as a pre-season exhibition match, then the least that could be done is to reserve prime Sat night slot to give it the best chance in Aus while giving the game its best chance to succeed in the UK market as well.

I still can't take the event any more serious than an exhibition until it is played a week or two post domestic season GF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

You offer a very valid argument GD. 

My only counter is that if the WCC must persist to proceed as a pre-season exhibition match, then the least that could be done is to reserve prime Sat night slot to give it the best chance in Aus while giving the game its best chance to succeed in the UK market as well.

Don't get me wrong, of course it should be held at a time that is as good as possible for both countries where possible, I was just saying that the way that things have turned out this time aren't necessarily a bad thing.

17 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I still can't take the event any more serious than an exhibition until it is played a week or two post domestic season GF.

I'm the same, if it continues to be held the way that it is it'll be nothing more then a trial/exhibition game, which is better then how it is seen by most down here.

You could make the game relevant and interesting overnight by holding it after the domestic seasons, a week or two after the grand finals. 

It'll probably never happen though, and if it does it'll be half arsed like everything in this sport, cause for it to be done properly the two seasons would have to line up so that the seasons finish at the same time, the organisation of WCC would have to happen before the GFs are decided, which would mean that it would have to be organised by the NRL and RFL and not the clubs, and it'd also mean that the games would almost certainly be held at neutral venues, and the host nation would have to alternate between the two countries each year, you'd also have to have contingency plans for the odd occasion that a club from NZ, France or hopefully in the future Canada win the comp in a host nations year so that it can be held in their nation, etc, etc.

But something that I can see realistically happening right now if people at the RFL/SL were realistic about what they can achive with the WCS that would be a step in the right direction toward the perfect event would be for the two games to be held each year, one in each country, the WCC and the runners up of the GFs playing against each other, with the host nations of each game swapping each year. Again it'll probably never happen though.    

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

Roughly speaking what do you think the ratings in England would have been if it was on at a better time compared to what they will be with the current scheduling?

Even taking those numbers into account wouldn't it best for the WCC as an event and a product if it is given the best chance for it to sell it's self to the NRL clubs in Australia? For example the better it does and the more popular and profitable that it is the more likely that the NRL clubs are to take it seriously and want to host it in the future which is what the WCC desperately needs if it's going to survive, and prime time on Friday nights gets the best ratings in Aus, thus is the most valuable to sponsors, holds the most prestige, etc.

So isn't the possible growth in interest in the event in Australia (particularly among the NRL clubs) that could be the result of this WCC being as successful as possible worth the concession of holding it at a time that isn't optimal to English supporters just this once.

Besides It's not like when it's held in England that it's on at a good time for audiences in Australia either, it's one of the events major downfalls, the same downfall that has basically killed Super Rugby in this country.   

The ratings in the UK would be good. Similiar to a highly rated SL game. And it could be shown at a good time in Australia which is a decent time in the UK. I know this because they show the NRL at those times anyway. 

The idea that 8pm on a Saturday night is a bad time to show sport is nonsense. The idea that a triple header would have been a worse spot for it is nonsense. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Don't get me started on the Smith-Thurston testimonial.

The NRL deserve a royal ar$s whooping on their shambolic "qualifications" for testimonial fixtures.

To be fair in this case....what more relevant 'qualifications' do these two needs? 

Both future immortals

Combined 5 Dally Ms, 5 Golden Boots, 79 apps for Queensland, 95 for Australia, 29 NRL seasons (including a total of 628 games, 657 including Thurstons 29 for Canterbury), 5 NRL Premierships (6 if you include the one Thurston won at Canterbury), 3 WCC wins.....

I'm not entirely sure what more they need to do? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

Roughly speaking what do you think the ratings in England would have been if it was on at a better time compared to what they will be with the current scheduling?

Even taking those numbers into account wouldn't it best for the WCC as an event and a product if it is given the best chance for it to sell it's self to the NRL clubs in Australia? For example the better it does and the more popular and profitable that it is the more likely that the NRL clubs are to take it seriously and want to host it in the future which is what the WCC desperately needs if it's going to survive, and prime time on Friday nights gets the best ratings in Aus, thus is the most valuable to sponsors, holds the most prestige, etc.

So isn't the possible growth in interest in the event in Australia (particularly among the NRL clubs) that could be the result of this WCC being as successful as possible worth the concession of holding it at a time that isn't optimal to English supporters just this once.

Besides It's not like when it's held in England that it's on at a good time for audiences in Australia either, it's one of the events major downfalls, the same downfall that has basically killed Super Rugby in this country.   

I acknowledged this argument in the opening post. It is short sighted though. Saturday would not prevent this event being grown in Oz and you would get better numbers in a 2nd market.

On your last paragraph - that is correct, it is a joke all round. The scheduling for cross-hemisphere games really needs more consideration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, philipw said:

To be fair in this case....what more relevant 'qualifications' do these two needs? 

Both future immortals

Combined 5 Dally Ms, 5 Golden Boots, 79 apps for Queensland, 95 for Australia, 29 NRL seasons (including a total of 628 games, 657 including Thurstons 29 for Canterbury), 5 NRL Premierships (6 if you include the one Thurston won at Canterbury), 3 WCC wins.....

I'm not entirely sure what more they need to do? 

Neither of them have tested themselves in the best league in the world 😉

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Neither of them have tested themselves in the best league in the world 😉

Thats true....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, philipw said:

To be fair in this case....what more relevant 'qualifications' do these two needs? 

Both future immortals

Combined 5 Dally Ms, 5 Golden Boots, 79 apps for Queensland, 95 for Australia, 29 NRL seasons (including a total of 628 games, 657 including Thurstons 29 for Canterbury), 5 NRL Premierships (6 if you include the one Thurston won at Canterbury), 3 WCC wins.....

I'm not entirely sure what more they need to do? 

10 years at one club. That is all that ever was and ever should be required.

The NRL then threw in subjective requirements like "fair player" and "good character".

If the NRL deem a player is not worthy of a testimonial because of their character or number of appearances at a tribunal, then surely they are not worthy of an NRL contract at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Dave T said:

Are we learning nothing? 

Melbourne v Leeds kicking off at 9.05am on the Friday.

There are literally two significant markets for this event, Australia and England and they pretty much rule out one of them by this scheduling.

No doubt they will point out that Friday night viewers will bring in more just in Oz than it would on Sky even on the Saturday, but that isnt the point - no terrestrial broadcaster would ever want this event if we treat it like this.

We have seen that the Aussies can get huge figures on a Sat or Sunday, and Sky would have got bigger figures for that.

Why do we keep making it hard to be an RL fan?

Just as a comparitive Dave, when the WCC games have been played in this country, how have the days and times affected the Australian viewers, if at all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

10 years at one club. That is all that ever was and ever should be required.

Both these two easily qualify for that

12 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

The NRL then threw in subjective requirements like "fair player" and "good character".

Have you got a link to that? I have never heard that one before....to be fair, I am sure it is VERY rare for players to be granted a testimonial in the RL....much more common in the Norther Hemisphere

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday



Rugby League World - Dec 2018