Sign in to follow this  
Dave T

WCC Scheduling

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

Nobody is asking for it to be perfectly convenient for the UK fans. Just not 9am on a weekday. That has almost certainly cost it 160k viewers from the off. 

Playing the game in prime time on a Saturday instead of in prime time on a Friday will cost anywhere between 250k-500k (maybe more) viewers in Australia... And growing the WCC as a brand and an event in Australia is more important then in England at the moment, the survival of the WCC is literally relying on it's growth in Australia, so what exactly do you want?

And you do want it to be perfectly convenient for UK fans cause for the first time in history that it hasn't been perfectly convenient for UK fans you are making out that it's a huge deal, when really it's not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, East Coast Tiger said:

They won't answer this because it shows they're hypocritical whingers. 

It's been on Monday morning here the past few years and not a peep out of these sooks about it. Hmmm what a surprise. It's only a problem when it's poms who don't like the timing apparently. 

I know right, over it's existence it's been on everyday of the weekend with kickoff times starting at anytime ranging from 5am-8am in the morning, and not a peep, but the one time that the NRL actually tries to do something with it and actually gives it a good push and it's the end of the world...

Seems they like the status quo of the WCC being a nothing event so long as it's completely controlled by them...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

Playing the game in prime time on a Saturday instead of in prime time on a Friday will cost anywhere between 250k-500k (maybe more) viewers in Australia... And growing the WCC as a brand and an event in Australia is more important then in England at the moment, the survival of the WCC is literally relying on it's growth in Australia, so what exactly do you want?

And you do want it to be perfectly convenient for UK fans cause for the first time in history that it hasn't been perfectly convenient for UK fans you are making out that it's a huge deal, when really it's not.

if you are going to make up figures, try to do so consistently otherwise it looks like you are making them up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, scotchy1 said:

if you are going to make up figures, try to do so consistently otherwise it looks like you are making them up

Fine do the reading yourself, I'll even make it pretty easy for you, go through these links and compare the numbers for games on Fridays prime time and Saturdays prime time, make sure to compare corresponding games where possible and not to only take one point of data into account, and tell me that my rough figures aren't as accurate as possible.

Some numbers from RL-https://twitter.com/search?q=%40MediaweekAUS %23NRL&src=typd

https://twitter.com/search?q=%40MediaweekAUS %23RLWC2017&src=typd

I'll even give you some AFL numbers so you can start to see the broader pattern in Australian sports media as well- https://twitter.com/search?q=%40MediaweekAUS %23AFL&src=typd

I would link numbers on other leagues and sports, but as you know, since you're an expert on all things Australian sport despite the fact that you live on the other side of the planet, don't seem to have any great interest in any Australian sports leagues, and almost certainly have never spent any significant time here, you don't really need any more information then that that the NRL and AFL provides to see over arching patterns in viewership of Australian sports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Great Dane said:

Fine do the reading yourself, I'll even make it pretty easy for you, go through these links and compare the numbers for games on Fridays prime time and Saturdays prime time, make sure to compare corresponding games where possible and not to only take one point of data into account, and tell me that my rough figures aren't as accurate as possible.

Some numbers from RL-https://twitter.com/search?q=%40MediaweekAUS %23NRL&src=typd

https://twitter.com/search?q=%40MediaweekAUS %23RLWC2017&src=typd

I'll even give you some AFL numbers so you can start to see the broader pattern in Australian sports media as well- https://twitter.com/search?q=%40MediaweekAUS %23AFL&src=typd

I would link numbers on other leagues and sports, but as you know, since you're an expert on all things Australian sport despite the fact that you live on the other side of the planet, don't seem to have any great interest in any Australian sports leagues, and almost certainly have never spent any significant time here, you don't really need any more information then that that the NRL and AFL provides to see over arching patterns in viewership of Australian sports.

Im not sure what you thought that would bring up but it shows a thursday game at 904K, three Friday games at 390k and 730k and 301k, and Saturday games at 713k, 409k, 336k and 564k.

How far down are we supposed to go to see this apparently obvious pattern that would make a Saturday game untenable?

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, East Coast Tiger said:

They won't answer this because it shows they're hypocritical whingers. 

It's been on Monday morning here the past few years and not a peep out of these sooks about it. Hmmm what a surprise. It's only a problem when it's poms who don't like the timing apparently. 

The question has been answered numerous times. But hey, keep lying and saying people wont answer if it makes you feel good.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Im not sure what you thought that would bring up but it shows a thursday game at 904K, three Friday games at 390k and 730k and 301k, and Saturday games at 713k, 409k, 336k and 564k.

How far down are we supposed to go to see this apparently obvious pattern that would make a Saturday game untenable?

 

Facts are not important, nor welcome round here. When i say round here I mean in Australia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, scotchy1 said:

Im not sure what you thought that would bring up but it shows a thursday game at 904K, three Friday games at 390k and 730k and 301k, and Saturday games at 713k, 409k, 336k and 564k.

How far down are we supposed to go to see this apparently obvious pattern that would make a Saturday game untenable?

 

You're not comparing like for like, I'm pretty sure you're not comparing prime time numbers, you haven't taken a large enough sample size to show any pattern at all, and you're cherry picking single data points to support your argument.....

And to see a pattern you'll have to go over an extended period of time, at the very least a season, realistically even more but this is an internet forum not a scientific paper, not a handful of games...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Facts are not important, nor welcome round here. When i say round here I mean in Australia.

Yeah cause comparing finals games on a Saturday to Raiders versus Knights on a Friday at the end of the season after both clubs seasons have ended is like for like....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

Yeah cause comparing finals games on a Saturday to Raiders versus Knights on a Friday at the end of the season after both clubs seasons have ended is like for like....

Well if we are comparing the same games, according to you the benchmark for the WCC in Oz is 30k.

So Saturday night is fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

You're not comparing like for like, I'm pretty sure you're not comparing prime time numbers, you haven't taken a large enough sample size to show any pattern at all, and you're cherry picking single data points to support your argument.....

And to see a pattern you'll have to go over an extended period of time, at the very least a season, realistically even more but this is an internet forum not a scientific paper, not a handful of games...

You're 100% correct, I'm not comparing like for like, im not comparing prime time numbers, i havent taken a large enough sample size to show any pattern at all. 

You are 100% wrong that Im cherry picking data,. Im completely ambivalent to that data, those figures are of no consequence to me. Im not the one arguing they support my argument. You seem to have confused me and you. You are the one who brought them up, you are the one who implied they supported their argument, they are your figures, you are the one arguing they show a clear and unambiguous pattern that shows a Saturday game would rate so low compared to a Friday game as to make it untenable. 

This thread is somewhat of twilight zone where Im an RFL apologist and somehow responsible for the data you provided not backing up your argument.

Odd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The question has been answered numerous times. But hey, keep lying and saying people wont answer if it makes you feel good.

 

It was? Cause I haven't seen a conclusive or satisfactory answer to- 

Quote

Do you know that any thought was given to the Australian time zone when played in the UK?

BTW from where I'm standing, the answer seems to be that no thought was given to the Australian time zone what so ever, but that wasn't an issue for you lot at all until now, long after the fact, that the shoe is on the other foot.

And it seems to me that the only reason that the shoe is on the other foot is to try and save the whole bloody concept of the WCC because a handful of idiots (all from SL clubs) thought that they could shame the NRL clubs into participating and pocket all the profits forever and that the NRL clubs wouldn't get jack of it.

Edited by The Great Dane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Well if we are comparing the same games, according to you the benchmark for the WCC in Oz is 30k.

So Saturday night is fine.

The thing he is yet to realise is that he is making the argument for us. It matters far less on what day the game is played as to who is playing and what they are playing for.

The answer then is quite obvious, to play the game in both countries at the most convenient time for both countries and work to increase the visibility of the opposing club in the host nation and build the prestige of the competition.

Its also interesting to see the arrogance of the Australian fan towards the attractiveness of SL when SL has a tv deal in Australia on a major sports channel. The NRL however currently has no UK broadcast contract and has spent years locked away on a minor standalone sports channel alongside Swedish and Polish Speedway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

You're 100% correct, I'm not comparing like for like, im not comparing prime time numbers, i havent taken a large enough sample size to show any pattern at all. 

You are 100% wrong that Im cherry picking data,. Im completely ambivalent to that data, those figures are of no consequence to me. Im not the one arguing they support my argument. You seem to have confused me and you. You are the one who brought them up, you are the one who implied they supported their argument, they are your figures, you are the one arguing they show a clear and unambiguous pattern that shows a Saturday game would rate so low compared to a Friday game as to make it untenable. 

This thread is somewhat of twilight zone where Im an RFL apologist and somehow responsible for the data you provided not backing up your argument.

Odd

No, that isn't what happened, and you know that isn't what happened.

I gave you rough figures of the probably loss of viewership you could expect if you played the game on a Saturday PT instead of Friday PT, you contested those figures without providing your own figures to counter mine, I gave you direct access to the data necessary to formulate your own figures, and you can't be bothered to formulate your own figures, which is fine...

And you are being an apologist for the RFLs/SL clubs actions in this case... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Great Dane said:

No, that isn't what happened, and you know that isn't what happened.

I gave you rough figures of the probably loss of viewership you could expect if you played the game on a Saturday PT instead of Friday PT, you contested those figures without providing your own figures to counter mine, I gave you direct access to the data necessary to formulate your own figures, and you can't be bothered to formulate your own figures, which is fine...

And you are being an apologist for the RFLs/SL clubs actions in this case... 

No, you contested your own figures. For some reason you moved from 100k to 600k difference to a 250k - 500k difference, i simply pointed out that when you can't even find consistency with your own figures it sounds like you are making it up.

You then went on to provide data that didnt support your point but in fact supported the opposite argument then blamed me for it. 

Its almost impressive that you are having this argument with yourself and managing to be wrong on both sides. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

The thing he is yet to realise is that he is making the argument for us. It matters far less on what day the game is played as to who is playing and what they are playing for.

Their is a over arching pattern of higher ratings on a Friday then on a Saturday, you don't trust my saying (or my figures) so I've given you access to the data.

Go look for yourself, cause you're only going to ignore anything that I say or quote...

4 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

The answer then is quite obvious, to play the game in both countries at the most convenient time for both countries and work to increase the visibility of the opposing club in the host nation and build the prestige of the competition.

That answer only seems to be obvious to you when the game is played in Australia...

4 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Its also interesting to see the arrogance of the Australian fan towards the attractiveness of SL when SL has a tv deal in Australia on a major sports channel. The NRL however currently has no UK broadcast contract and has spent years locked away on a minor standalone sports channel alongside Swedish and Polish Speedway.

No they don't...

The Super Leagues deal is with Fox League which while not being a tiny channel I wouldn't call it a major channel either (it is growing though, not Fox Sport plural, it also has no FTA exposure which is where the real money is in Australia (and all the major channels are).

Also it's a hell of a lot easier to sell RL content to the biggest RL market in the world then it is to sell it to broadcasting companies controlled by a bunch of rich parochial snobs whom you yourself would admit treat the sport like second class citizens in favour of greasing the hands of their RU and soccer mates because of some weird classist attitudes that still exist in your country...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, The Great Dane said:

1.Their is a over arching pattern of higher ratings on a Friday then on a Saturday, you don't trust my saying (or my figures) so I've given you access to the data.

Go look for yourself, cause you're only going to ignore anything that I say or quote...

2.That answer only seems to be obvious to you when the game is played in Australia...

3.No they don't...

The Super Leagues deal is with Fox League which while not being a tiny channel I wouldn't call it a major channel either (it is growing though, not Fox Sport plural, it also has no FTA exposure which is where the real money is in Australia (and all the major channels are).

Also it's a hell of a lot easier to sell RL content to the biggest RL market in the world then it is to sell it to broadcasting companies controlled by a bunch of rich parochial snobs whom you yourself would admit treat the sport like second class citizens in favour of greasing the hands of their RU and soccer mates because of some weird classist attitudes that still exist in your country...

6

1. You have yet to prove your assertion my dude. Your own figures dont seem to back you up.

2.  It really doesnt. I mean you can keep ignoring what i say and instead pretend this is real but its not going to make it real.

3. The channel which shows the most NRL content is not a major sports channel? thats not a particularly glowing endorsement of the NRL.  Neither is the fact that the NRL the biggest RL competition in the world can't sell itself in the 2nd biggest RL market in the world. 

Super Rugby and Top 14 on the other hand...

And Rupert Murdoch, the dirty digger, definitely pays for antipodean and french RU because of 'classism' its also the reason he invested in football which in the late 80s early 90s Britain was known as the sport of the upper/middle classes.

Edited by scotchy1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

No, you contested your own figures. For some reason you moved from 100k to 600k difference to a 250k - 500k difference, i simply pointed out that when you can't even find consistency with your own figures it sounds like you are making it up.

Both are reasonable numbers given the lack of data we have specifically on the WCC.

It's hard to extrapolate exact numbers on the WCC when it's only been held in Australia once in the last 20 years, so we have to extrapolate numbers based on those that we can get from the NRL and RLWC, that's very hard and quite subjective (cause you have to decide whether difference in viewership for the WCC would be more similar to what you'd expect the difference that a game between two popular teams would suffer, or two smaller teams, etc), which is also why the numbers are so broad. 

For example it's very easy to see the viewership difference between Fri and Sat for a Parramatta vs Bulldogs game, all you have to do is look up the difference over the years, you can't do that for the WCC, so a lot of guesstimatetion is involved in the exact figures.

7 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

You then went on to provide data that didnt support your point but in fact supported the opposite argument then blamed me for it. 

Its almost impressive that you are having this argument with yourself and managing to be wrong on both sides. 

I did provide data that supported my position, you are just to lazy to go through it in detail...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Great Dane said:

Both are reasonable numbers given the lack of data we have specifically on the WCC.

It's hard to extrapolate exact numbers on the WCC when it's only been held in Australia once in the last 20 years, so we have to extrapolate numbers based on those that we can get from the NRL and RLWC, that's very hard and quite subjective (cause you have to decide whether difference in viewership for the WCC would be more similar to what you'd expect the difference that a game between two popular teams would suffer, or two smaller teams, etc), which is also why the numbers are so broad. 

For example it's very easy to see the viewership difference between Fri and Sat for a Parramatta vs Bulldogs game, all you have to do is look up the difference over the years, you can't do that for the WCC, so a lot of guesstimatetion is involved in the exact figures.

I did provide data that supported my position, you are just to lazy to go through it in detail...

Yeah that sounds like made up nonsense. Sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dave T said:

The question has been answered numerous times. But hey, keep lying and saying people wont answer if it makes you feel good.

 

What answer? Show me where the complaints were when it was shown on Monday mornings here the past few years. Go on. If this is about the best time for all fans you can prove your concern for ALL fans. 

Otherwise it's just poms bitching and moaning and wanting everything to suit them as always. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

1. You have yet to prove your assertion my dude. Your own figures dont seem to back you up.

It does show what I'm saying you are just too lazy to go through the data to any significant extent, and there's no point in me doing it for you cause you'll just ignore it and say I'm making it up...

Quote

2.  It really doesnt. I mean you can keep ignoring what i say and instead pretend this is real but its not going to make it real.

What people say doesn't interest me as much as their actions do (especially what they say after the fact), and as far as I can tell there's no evidence at all on this forum of an uproar when no thought was given to the Australian market when scheduling the WCC/WCS in previous years... 

Quote

3. The channel which shows the most NRL content is not a major sports channel? thats not a particularly glowing endorsement of the NRL.  Neither is the fact that the NRL the biggest RL competition in the world can't sell itself in the 2nd biggest RL market in the world. 

Super Rugby and Top 14 on the other hand...

And Rupert Murdoch, the dirty digger, definitely pays for antipodean and french RU because of 'classism' its also the reason he invested in football which in the late 80s early 90s Britain was known as the sport of the upper/middle classes.

The NRL channel is just on a year old, it hasn't had time to become a major sports channel yet... But as I said it is growing.

Even so SL is only played live and as filler during mid day, mid week, and I swear to god that sometimes it isn't even played live, and two games a week (or is it three?) repeated a couple of times for the cost of a pie and a coke isn't exactly a great TV deal or something to crow about, just as I'm sure that the NRLs deal in the UK isn't something to crow about either.

To call yourself the second biggest RL market in the world is pushing it, second richest RL market definitely (and if that is what you meant then fine), but I reckon that PNG would be pushing you for second biggest, I'm honestly not sure though.

And if you really think that Rupert Murdoch has anything to do with the day to day operations of Sky Sport then their's no helping you, even so Rupert Murdoch isn't exactly famous for his support of RL, in fact he's got to be up there as one of the top few individuals to do the most damage to Australian RL in history.

Edited by The Great Dane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

Yeah that sounds like made up nonsense. Sorry.

Well "my dude" you seem to have very little understanding of statistical analysis (not saying that I'm an expert) and/or you don't seem to know what a proxy and/or extrapolation is, and that's fine I'm not knocking you, but I don't have the time to go into further detail to explain what I was doing or saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't bothered reading this thread so I'll just ask one question: Why has Channel 9, which has always paid the highest $$ per game for NRL TV rights so they could have the first pick of games, always shown games on Friday night but has never, in 25 years, attempted to establish a Saturday night RL slot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Farmduck said:

I haven't bothered reading this thread so I'll just ask one question: Why has Channel 9, which has always paid the highest $$ per game for NRL TV rights so they could have the first pick of games, always shown games on Friday night but has never, in 25 years, attempted to establish a Saturday night RL slot?

Because they know what works and rates because its their profession is my guess?

;)

Edited by Allora

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Farmduck said:

I haven't bothered reading this thread so I'll just ask one question: Why has Channel 9, which has always paid the highest $$ per game for NRL TV rights so they could have the first pick of games, always shown games on Friday night but has never, in 25 years, attempted to establish a Saturday night RL slot?

Ill counter that with 'Why did Seven show the World Cup Final on a Saturday night?'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



League Express - Every Monday

Rugby League World - Jan 2018

Rugby League Books On Sale Here