Sign in to follow this  
Batley Bob

Wakey friendly

4 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Trinity got a very strong squad this year and a very good coach. I reckon they will go well in SL again this season which may be a bit of a disappointment for the expansionists.

I think we have a decent squad this year too , and will do better than other sides fans expect

• Thanks 1

Is it just me who is decidedly narked by the team Wakefield have announced? From our point of view surely a pre-season game, especially against a SL outfit is to see just how far along the track we are in preparation for the league. If we're not facing the best opposition we can't assess our performance properly. We could run rings round Trinity tomorrow, but that would be no good to MD if it doesn't tell him anything he doesn't already know. I think this selection by them is treating us with disrespect.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bi11 said:

I guess that there will be a minutes silence for Jack Perry.  He spent most of his career at Wakefield and Batley.  I never saw him play but I do remember my uncle and his brother in law talking fondly of Jack Perry  .

There is one tomorrow but not for Jack Perry, I am sure there will be one for Jack Perry but the club now have to get permission from the RL to have a two minute silence so it will probably be at the first home league match,

1 hour ago, phildog said:

Is it just me who is decidedly narked by the team Wakefield have announced? From our point of view surely a pre-season game, especially against a SL outfit is to see just how far along the track we are in preparation for the league. If we're not facing the best opposition we can't assess our performance properly. We could run rings round Trinity tomorrow, but that would be no good to MD if it doesn't tell him anything he doesn't already know. I think this selection by them is treating us with disrespect.

Lots of the players Wakefield have included, will no doubt be farmed out in this division on DR throughout the season. Some of them will no doubt be better than some of the players currently residing in first team squads within our division. Therefore, I do not understand why you would feel they are disrespecting us.

Would you rather see us get thrashed by there first team, similarly to what happened to Halifax last week? What would we, or they for that matter, learn from that?

You seem to be suggesting tomorrow will be some sort of massacre, I will be very surprised if it is. It is a chance for Trinity to try some of there fringe players against a really good standard of opposition, to see if there younger players have any chance of making it in the top flight.

It gives us the chance, to put in to practice what we learned from Boxing Day and in training. It also gives the coaching staff a rare chance to see what Wakefield have to offer in terms of fringe players, whom we might be in the market for during the season should we get any injuries.

Admittedly, some of the players may not be up to standard, but given that most teams have disbanded there 2nd teams, including St Helens, Hull and Warrington recently, Wakefield's fringe players are going to get very little game time or opportunities to prove themselves out on the field. 

In essence, tomorrow could be the only chance lots of these players will ever get actually playing for Wakefield, so they are likely to give it there all, in order to give themselves even a sliver of hope of ever playing for the first team.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to it.

Edited by DOGFATHER
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear of the passing of Jack Perry.Condolences to his family.I have fond memories of Jack.Played on the wing, slightly built but excellent wingman , also great goal kicker.The Dogs had a great team in those days and the majority  were Batley lads.The place abounded with local teams in those days.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, frank said:

Sorry to hear of the passing of Jack Perry.Condolences to his family.I have fond memories of Jack.Played on the wing, slightly built but excellent wingman , also great goal kicker.The Dogs had a great team in those days and the majority  were Batley lads.The place abounded with local teams in those days.

Hope you are keeping well Frank , and keeping the Batley flag flying in New Zealand 

13 hours ago, ernieone said:

There is one tomorrow but not for Jack Perry, I am sure there will be one for Jack Perry but the club now have to get permission from the RL to have a two minute silence so it will probably be at the first home league match,

Thank you for the information ernieone.  It is a shame given his connections with both clubs but not the club's fault, obviously.

15 hours ago, phildog said:

I think you may be surprised by how well the team Trinity turn up with will do. It should be a good test for you.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Batley Bob said:

I think we have a decent squad this year too , and will do better than other sides fans expect

Theres no pressure on you this season thats for sure. I do think its going to be tough for anyone out side the expected top 6 to get in there though.

10 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Theres no pressure on you this season thats for sure. I do think its going to be tough for anyone out side the expected top 6 to get in there though.

I expect top 6 , don't know if you think we are inside the expected top 6 tho

Just wondering who the expected top 6 are? If you said Leigh, London and Toronto were the top 3, and I'm  not convinced of that, then who do you reckon would fill the next 3 spots if the Dogs aren't going to be amongst them? Don't see anything to persuade me that Sheffield or Halifax are odds on, Toulouse might get found out away from home this time. It's all in the mix. Anybody know our squad today yet?

4 hours ago, phildog said:

Just wondering who the expected top 6 are? If you said Leigh, London and Toronto were the top 3, and I'm  not convinced of that, then who do you reckon would fill the next 3 spots if the Dogs aren't going to be amongst them? Don't see anything to persuade me that Sheffield or Halifax are odds on, Toulouse might get found out away from home this time. It's all in the mix. Anybody know our squad today yet?

Leigh and Torronto nailed on then the other 4 will be London, Fev, Fax and Toulouse although I expect Fev and Toulouse to take the last 2 top 4 spots. I doubt you will find many people other than the most biased to say otherwise.

13 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Leigh and Torronto nailed on then the other 4 will be London, Fev, Fax and Toulouse although I expect Fev and Toulouse to take the last 2 top 4 spots. I doubt you will find many people other than the most biased to say otherwise.

I would put us above fax this season , not being biased but your recruitment has been very poor , add to that your a feeder club for cas

Edited by Batley Bob

9 minutes ago, Batley Bob said:

I would put us above fax this season , not being biased but your recruitment has been very poor , add to that your a feeder club for cas

I think you will struggle to find many people outside Batley to agree with you. I agree our recruitment has not been great but given the average age of our squad although bringing in some more players would have been nice its not really needed. We have a few good young lads coming through and the ones that stepped up last year I expect them to improve again. I also expect us to do better from our DR agreement with Cas than we did with Salford but we will see.

Certainly worth the admittance.

Scoreboard looked great slightly to left of posts to avoid kicks from conversions I guess.

Wakey were young but spirited strong and fast.

Cowling was good and second half we were too strong and confident in attack.

First half we went toe to toe and wakey made us work for everything.

Rowe looks fit for a change. New players look worthwhile additions esp Tomlinson and Holland.

Were still prone to defensive lapses

That was an extremely young Trinity team today, the oldest player was 21 with just one other player at 20 the rest were teenagers. 

5 of the players have just 1 year of Academy behind them while another 5 were in the U16s Scholarship last year. 4 of the Front rowers on the bench are 16 & 17 years old.

Talented players all of them but they have a lot of physical development ahead of them.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

I think you will struggle to find many people outside Batley to agree with you. I agree our recruitment has not been great but given the average age of our squad although bringing in some more players would have been nice its not really needed. We have a few good young lads coming through and the ones that stepped up last year I expect them to improve again. I also expect us to do better from our DR agreement with Cas than we did with Salford but we will see.

Think you will find few people outside halifax agree with you 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OMEGA said:

That was an extremely young Trinity team today, the oldest player was 21 with just one other player at 20 the rest were teenagers. 

5 of the players have just 1 year of Academy behind them while another 5 were in the U16s Scholarship last year. 4 of the Front rowers on the bench are 16 & 17 years old.

Talented players all of them but they have a lot of physical development ahead of them.

I agree with you, you look to have some pretty good lads there, they just struggled physically but I'm sure that will come with age. 

I fully expect and look forward to seeing a few of them plying there trade in the Championship over the season on dual reg. 

Edited by DOGFATHER

Yes, the young Wakefield team showed up well and looked promising. 

As for us, we really threw the ball about and as a consequence of that, dropped a fair bit of ball. We looked strong in the forwards though and defensively hit hard. Their tries came from an interception on their own line and us not catching their attacking kick on the full when we should have. 

Thought Ainscough, Crookes and Brown were stand-outs. I also noticed Walker taking on the line more! 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Johndeere said:

Couldn't make the match today sadly 

So a question for you lucky ones who did make it .Who impressed today ? 

All the forward pack looked good, Tomlinson, Ward and Holland all look decent acquisitions and would not be out of place in the starting 13. Crookes and Cowling were really firing in whilst defending, Ainy had a good game. The halfbacks were poor first half but got better as the game progressed, Scotty rock solid at the back, like he'd never been away. All round a decent display, we were just forcing impossible passes and trying to play a bit too much football at times which resulted in lots of errors and blown chances.

• Like 1

So, for Matt's info, we're expected by anybody outside Batley to be in a struggle for 7th place......incentive enough lads??

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, phildog said:

So, for Matt's info, we're expected by anybody outside Batley to be in a struggle for 7th place......incentive enough lads??

I think 7th is a pretty fair assessment tbh and it's where I expect us to finish if we have a decent season.

The 4 full time teams should be much better than us and a class apart. Of the part timers, Featherstone have spent far more on there squad than either us or Halifax, they might even edge London out of the top 4.

This leaves us and Halifax looking to finish 6th and 7th at best. 

What are your expectations Phildog?