Sign in to follow this  
sweaty craiq

Toulouse show SL intent?

Recommended Posts

Have they put a flag in the ground by moving the Leigh game to the 13000 capacity Albi stadium in June, interesting call this as Albi seem to attract good gates to events

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There has been talk for a while now of playing a game in the Tarn up at Albi. The local side under Eric Anselme is doing well this year and the towns Pro 2 team in union now relegated to the third tier. They'll play I imagine at the main stadium where France have played internationals before - against Wales a few years back drew 10,000. Interesting getting Leigh to play there. Also Toronto Easter Monday could get a crowd in. Last year on the corresponding day the Dragons and TO pulled jointly 15,000.

 

ca.jpg

Edited by audois
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not a stupid move imo. I would also try one or 2 matchs in Colomiers just in order not to "bet Everything" on Blagnac. and why not try to get the Stadium (if free) for one or 2 matches in case of a super 8 qualifiers competition... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Have they put a flag in the ground by moving the Leigh game to the 13000 capacity Albi stadium in June, interesting call this as Albi seem to attract good gates to events

What sort of flag is this though? Because the French are used to waving white flags :)

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

What sort of flag is this though? Because the French are used to waving white flags :)

Always good to see a bit of casual racism and xenophobia ;-)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I was looking to go to Toulouse , so glad I hadnt booked , this might put a few off I'd imagine

Might have to have a think about it now , what distance is it from Toulouse time wise ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's really not the end of the world for anyone who's already booked, it's only 47 miles from Toulouse, and 67 miles from Carcassonne (I believe Ryan Air do direct flights from Manchester)...

It's nice to see them take a match on the road, but I fail to see the 'SL intent' connection.  They've been showing that for years now.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, langpark said:

It's really not the end of the world for anyone who's already booked, it's only 47 miles from Toulouse, and 67 miles from Carcassonne (I believe Ryan Air do direct flights from Manchester)...

It's nice to see them take a match on the road, but I fail to see the 'SL intent' connection.  They've been showing that for years now.

I attended the 1 st match at Toulouse in their last spell in the championship but missed out on any pre\post match atmosphere due to staying in Carcassonne , similarily was ' bussed ' into Perpignan last year , so was looking forward to enjoying a couple of days rather than having to be travelling around , even that 1 st time the match was switched late on to Blagnac and fortunatley they had busses to take us or we'd have missed the game

The leigh contingent will be greatly reduced this time due to us playing toronto a couple of weeks earlier I think , so 700 of the regulars are unlikely to be doing 2 trips in a matter of 3\4 weeks , plus its an athletics stadium as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'll enjoy Albi, it's a beautiful town - some good watering holes too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Well I was looking to go to Toulouse , so glad I hadnt booked , this might put a few off I'd imagine

Might have to have a think about it now , what distance is it from Toulouse time wise ?

It's an hour by train.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, audois said:

There has been talk for a while now of playing a game in the Tarn up at Albi. The local side under Eric Anselme is doing well this year and the towns Pro 2 team in union now relegated to the third tier. They'll play I imagine at the main stadium where France have played internationals before - against Wales a few years back drew 10,000. Interesting getting Leigh to play there. Also Toronto Easter Monday could get a crowd in. Last year on the corresponding day the Dragons and TO pulled jointly 15,000.

 

ca.jpg

Yeah, it'll be played at the main stadium which is about a fifteen minute walk from the town centre. It's a 10000 seater just about and was packed to the rafters for the France v Wales game a few years back. The Mazicou, where Albi XIII play will be too small for such a game. I went  to the Jean Vidal a few weeks back to watch the Albi reserves play Villefranche and the atmosphere there was brilliant too. The Albi public are a passionate lot when it comes to RL.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, damp squib said:

It's an hour by train.

Yes an hour on the train , but more like 2 by the time travel to and from , as I said was looking for a more relaxed trip this time , dont forget us leythers dont ' do ' trains , probably leave it for now till I find out what other fans are doing

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, damp squib said:

Any Leigh fans making the trip? Albi is a gorgeous town.

The change may make it easier for fans not already booked, the only flight to Toulouse from Manchester went through the roof the day the fixtures came out. Fans are travelling to Bristol and Stanstead to get flights to Toulouse. The Carcassonne flight opens up opportunities for cheaper local flights. Over 500 will be at the game

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Albi is not too far from Rodez airport too.

Can I put in a little plug for the Hotel du Vigan in Albi, the owner and his wife are big RL fans, pictures of the Albi Women's XIII up in reception. Cracking location in the beautiful city centre.

Interesting to see whether the Albi public will turn up to watch a Toulouse game, rather than viewing them as local rivals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends when the game is John. Albi RL play their league games on a saturday evening (this weekends cup match is sunday as it happens) so they have always clashed with TO13 and the Catalans so the Albi supporters have never really had the chance to follow them. I think the fans will turn out but nowhere near the 10K, rather 4 or 5 K maybe.

Flights to and from Rodez are from London or Southampton so maybe not so practical ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, oiseau said:

Flights to and from Rodez are from London or Southampton so maybe not so practical ?

Stated upthread that some people travelling to Stansted for flights to Carcassonne and I suppose not all Leigh fans live in Leigh. You'd probably need a hire car from Rodez though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

The change may make it easier for fans not already booked, the only flight to Toulouse from Manchester went through the roof the day the fixtures came out. Fans are travelling to Bristol and Stanstead to get flights to Toulouse. The Carcassonne flight opens up opportunities for cheaper local flights. Over 500 will be at the game

Flying to carcassonne was always an option anyway craig , but expect most to be booked into hotels in Toulouse , so was looking forward to sharing the pre/post match with them , whereas having to leave the stadium , then make way to the train station and then an hour plus travelling , wasnt what i was looking for

no doubt a subject of conversation in the north stand next week

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, oiseau said:

Depends when the game is John. Albi RL play their league games on a saturday evening (this weekends cup match is sunday as it happens) so they have always clashed with TO13 and the Catalans so the Albi supporters have never really had the chance to follow them. I think the fans will turn out but nowhere near the 10K, rather 4 or 5 K maybe.

Flights to and from Rodez are from London or Southampton so maybe not so practical ?

Do Albi play games in June ?

Edited by GUBRATS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JonM said:

Stated upthread that some people travelling to Stansted for flights to Carcassonne and I suppose not all Leigh fans live in Leigh. You'd probably need a hire car from Rodez though.

Not all but most

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not a great road from Rodez to Albi whereas Toulouse to Albi is quicker by the motorway. If I had the choice I would stay in Toulouse which a bit more lively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Do Albi play games in July ?

The Elite 1 play-offs are scheduled for that weekend (16/17th june)  that's all, there's a fair chance Albi will be involved.

 

Edited by oiseau

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday



Rugby League World - Online 28 Jun - July 2018

Rugby League World - July 2018 - Out Fri 29 Jun

Rugby League Books On Sale Here