Sign in to follow this  
graveyard johnny

how things have changed for fans since the 70s

somewhere along the years I cant help feeling a lot of the fun of being a fan at a live match has been taken away and the experience diminished somewhat (not knocking modern stadia or ways here) but here are 3 examples.

1 fans changing ends at half time in droves exchanging banter with the home crowd in their main stand, always a good laugh

2 the kids running on the pitch at the first second the hooter sounded to get their fave players autograph or tie ups

3 (soon to be next) youngsters sitting on the wall in front of the south stand, generation after generation as if they were the front line with an army of noise and atmosphere behind them

the last game I went to was at hudds ground where after been allocated an expensive part of the plastic  I wouldn't have chosen if I had been allowed to walk round the ground it was un memorable, un enjoyable and quite a sterile miserable experience all round

• Like 1

Well, thinking about Odsal, the biggest change is not being able to rain down abuse on the players and referee as they made the long, long trek up to the old dressing rooms at the top of the stadium 

Also watching the New Years derby against Castleford in a blizzard ;) 

• Like 1

Too young for the 70's, but differences from attending in the 80's and 90's include: I can now go to the toilet indoors, I dont get a lungful of carcinogenic tobacco fumes, see no baggy player shirts, rarely have to figure out who the mud covered player is (or indeed who's team he is on), I don't have to wear 5 layers of clothing to keep warm whilst standing huddled under a leaking roof on a windswept terrace, watch almost no biff (on or off the pitch) and see no-one listening to the half time scores from other games on transistor radios.

Most of these disappearing are good things but one thing that has definately changed for the worse for me is the demise of advert free shirts, which has now reached a new undignified low with the current trend of adverts on players bums.

Oh, and players welfare has improved, I recall watching concused players staggering round the pitch for half a game or crippled lads being put on the wing and hobbling up and down, clearly causing further damage to themselves, because there were only 2 subs allowed.

Thankfully not all has changed, I can still visit a substantial number of SL grounds which retain the traditionally nostalgic opportunites to drink terrible beer, consume food with less nutrition than a piece of varnished wood and get soaking wet whenever it rains....what some on here quaintly refer to as atmosphere ☺

Edited by Whippet13
  • Like 12

5 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

somewhere along the years I cant help feeling a lot of the fun of being a fan at a live match has been taken away and the experience diminished somewhat (not knocking modern stadia or ways here) but here are 3 examples.

1 fans changing ends at half time in droves exchanging banter with the home crowd in their main stand, always a good laugh

2 the kids running on the pitch at the first second the hooter sounded to get their fave players autograph or tie ups

3 (soon to be next) youngsters sitting on the wall in front of the south stand, generation after generation as if they were the front line with an army of noise and atmosphere behind them

the last game I went to was at hudds ground where after been allocated an expensive part of the plastic  I wouldn't have chosen if I had been allowed to walk round the ground it was un memorable, un enjoyable and quite a sterile miserable experience all round

This might be true of clubs in Superleague but in League one you still get this at alot of the grounds 

• Like 1

Its changed loads for me.

In the 1970s, as a southerner, I could only watch RL on Grandstand, now I can jump on the bus and 30 mins later watch London Skolars (or jump on a train, tube, train and bus and see Broncos two hours later).

Edited by EssexRL
  • Like 7

16 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

This might be true of clubs in Superleague but in League one you still get this at alot of the grounds 

So League One clubs haven’t evolved and improved facilities in almost 40yrs?

2 hours ago, Manx RL said:

That's not what I was saying at all. The original post is also not about facilities but about the atmosphere and fun of the match day experience

• Like 1

Well I certainly would not be back at wilderspool, dump of a ground, the HJ is what grounds should be about. To much Is made of it was better in the seventies, only because you were younger and would naturally be excited about attending matches, but the stadiums were dumps with toilets that were just an upgraded wall, poor views and plenty of gangs meetings outside the grounds, I was brought up in Leigh and after games with Wigan Street fights went on all the way the away fans went back, buses go into to Warrington being rocked by hundreds of home fans. 

Better then, not in my opinion. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Manx RL said:

At Batley, the ground has modernised extensively with new stands and facilities.

However you can change ends at half time and go on the field at the end for autographs etc. Alternatively you get a great view from the stands.

Also Keighley was the same when I used to go there. 

I can honestly say RL as a spectacle is now a shadow of what it was in the 70's-80's in almost every aspect. But the world has changed (unfortunately) . I guess people born in the 90's onwards won't know any different and will enjoy things as they are today .

To me though RL in 2018 is a sad reflection on how soft and over sanitised society as a whole has become.

Edited by RabbitRhinoovOZ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Well I certainly would not be back at wilderspool, dump of a ground, the HJ is what grounds should be about. To much Is made of it was better in the seventies, only because you were younger and would naturally be excited about attending matches, but the stadiums were dumps with toilets that were just an upgraded wall, poor views and plenty of gangs meetings outside the grounds, I was brought up in Leigh and after games with Wigan Street fights went on all the way the away fans went back, buses go into to Warrington being rocked by hundreds of home fans. 

Better then, not in my opinion. 

Haha,

I remember them days as a kid and the Leigh / Wigan derbys used to be brutal inside and outside of the ground !!

I remember Leigh fans packing out Wilderspools Railway end in a 2001 Challenge Cup QF tie with streams or urine going down the terraces. Not pleasant but these old grounds had one hell of an atmosphere.

All RL grounds have improved but i do miss the atmosphere of a packed Hilton Park and Central Park.

Rugby league is in a better place in regards to facilities and skills but I must admit, Super League has damaged the lower teams considerably. Halifax, Bradford, Barrow, Dewsbury, Featherstone, Workington, Whitehaven, Keighley all used to attend in their thousands in the 70's and 80's. The problem is that most of these fans now are Super league glory hunters and the top 6 SL teams have certainly benefited as a result ! 

That is the issue of todays game and more needs to be done with the sport outside of Super league in my opinion.

Biggest issue for me is the ticket prices and in particular at lower league level. In the 70’s I would watch my time and then catch another game however at £20 for even Championship 1 and the fact the wife  watches the game with a bit if fuel its £50.

Wish they would bring in a scheme fir £10 entry fir season ticket holders of other clubs.

Why when I read this thread can I hear a brass band playing Dvorak and I get an image of a baker’s boy pushing his bike up a steep cobbled hill?

2 minutes ago, RS said:

Biggest issue for me is the ticket prices and in particular at lower league level. In the 70’s I would watch my time and then catch another game however at £20 for even Championship 1 and the fact the wife  watches the game with a bit if fuel its £50.

Wish they would bring in a scheme fir £10 entry fir season ticket holders of other clubs.

Which League 1 clubs charge £20? How much were you earning in the 70s RS?

1 minute ago, deluded pom? said:

Why when I read this thread can I hear a brass band playing Dvorak and I get an image of a baker’s boy pushing his bike up a steep cobbled hill?

Mental issues I'd say.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

Haha,

I remember them days as a kid and the Leigh / Wigan derbys used to be brutal inside and outside of the ground !!

I remember Leigh fans packing out Wilderspools Railway end in a 2001 Challenge Cup QF tie with streams or urine going down the terraces. Not pleasant but these old grounds had one hell of an atmosphere.

All RL grounds have improved but i do miss the atmosphere of a packed Hilton Park and Central Park.

Rugby league is in a better place in regards to facilities and skills but I must admit, Super League has damaged the lower teams considerably. Halifax, Bradford, Barrow, Dewsbury, Featherstone, Workington, Whitehaven, Keighley all used to attend in their thousands in the 70's and 80's. The problem is that most of these fans now are Super league glory hunters and the top 6 SL teams have certainly benefited as a result ! 

That is the issue of todays game and more needs to be done with the sport outside of Super league in my opinion.

IIRC the whole game was on its backside in the 1970s. The  atmosphere you describe sounds a bit smelly, too.:O  :smile:

Certainly the atmosphere at Central Park in the 1980s. 30 odd years ago could be electric, and maybe is not quite as good at the DW, but give me the  modern matchday experience any day.

On what basis has SuperLeague damaged the lower teams. Damaged they may be but not convinced its SuperLeague's fault? 

they've changed for the better since it's hard to create a stream or even a steam of urine sitting down.:smile:

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

.On what basis has SuperLeague damaged the lower teams. Damaged they may be but not convinced its SuperLeague's fault? 

what super greed  well keeping most of the sky money to themselves hasn't helped

20 minutes ago, JohnM said:

they've changed for the better since it's hard to create a stream or even a steam of urine sitting down.:smile:

Didn’t a Newcastle football fan manage to go one better than a stream of urine whilst sat in his seat recently?

6 minutes ago, POR said:

what super greed  well keeping most of the sky money to themselves hasn't helped

Nonsense and you know it. Especially the super greed bit. The SL Clubs earned the money. Good for them that they haven't kept it all.