What do Leigh offer Super League?

With franchises a possibility in 2019 for SL people are pointing to Toronto, Leigh and Toulouse as the main candidates to enter an extended league. 

I heard it said when Leigh got relegated (again) that they have to get back in as if it were a divine right. In my view they are not a club that will drive the comp to new heights commercially. They have had two shots in recent history to convince the public they can do something at the top level and failed both times. 

Just a small village in Wigan trying to punch above their weight. 

Leigh is not a village it is a town and as I understand it has a bigger population than Castleford, not picking on Cas there or pushing Leigh (for balance of facts Castleford has a train station and Leigh doesn't).

My key point is the wisdom of having several teams within close proximity of each other, it doesn't make commercial sense a SL with Wigan, Warrington, Saints, Widnes, Salford and Leigh is a poor representation of the sport and the lesser of those clubs which is Leigh like Toronto or New York, must have a compelling case which makes them impossible to leave out. 

28 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

My key point is the wisdom of having several teams within close proximity of each other, it doesn't make commercial sense a SL with Wigan, Warrington, Saints, Widnes, Salford and Leigh is a poor representation of the sport and the lesser of those clubs which is Leigh like Toronto or New York, must have a compelling case which makes them impossible to leave out. 

Then London should take the spot. How is the community club games these days? Do they travel far?

34 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Yes we know what your key point is , its the one thing nobody has control of , how stupid were those people 120 years ago to decide to set up a club in Leigh and then vote to leave the RFU , didnt they realise that 12 decades later it would upset people on internet forums ? 

23 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Then London should take the spot. How is the community club games these days? Do they travel far?

47 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Leigh deserve their shot if they’re not breaking any rules.

16 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes we know what your key point is , its the one thing nobody has control of , how stupid were those people 120 years ago to decide to set up a club in Leigh and then vote to leave the RFU , didnt they realise that 12 decades later it would upset people on internet forums ? 

I've heard all the good and bad things people say about Leigh, being new to the Rugby league scene I knew nothing of the old troubles.  Their fans at the upcoming game will say alot in how I, and many of the other Toronto fans,  make any lasting impression (all jokes and puns aside)...hoping for the best!

Have no idea what to expect...hopefully they welcome the Wolfpack with open arms and cheer the boys on their victorious return.  That would say alot, and cheer Rowley too even better!

Well the SL is televised so they probably won't have any fans in attendance if they do make it if you listen to DJB, better to leave them out.

DJB bashing aside they do have a good squad, I think they have a rich backer (don't know DJB's worth) and it was mentioned earlier ( first 20 pages) in the locked thread that they were the most televised team last year? 

8 hours ago, The Daddy said:

With franchises a possibility in 2019 for SL people are pointing to Toronto, Leigh and Toulouse as the main candidates to enter an extended league. 

I heard it said when Leigh got relegated (again) that they have to get back in as if it were a divine right. In my view they are not a club that will drive the comp to new heights commercially.

Why not explain which Commercial contracts Toulose or Toronto will be bringing to Superleague upon entry next year. You just don't say? What are they and how much are they worth?? Why do you think two small clubs playing a minority sport can capture commercial contracts of any real value?

Franchises aren't a possibility given that Superleagues line has been a return to P & R whether Lenegan's 2015 plan to do this or Beaumont and Pearson's nod to P & R before and after Christmas in their published interviews.

As Pearson says SL will investigate whether Toronto are even "serious" about what they are doing. Perez himself offered no commercial contracts of any relevant value until he had guided "5-6 North American clubs into Superleague over the next 10 years".

Your way off beam and wishful thinking on this. This isn't a board game its real lives and it's intolerable to expect English professionals with homes and families here to commute to America to ply their trade, it's intolerable to even contemplate 5-6 English clubs being shut down as professional clubs along with their academies and Foundations to make way for these NA clubs?

All Perez is doing is taking advantage of the plan to hold the World Cup in America 2025, he's a chancer challenging the game to allow North American clubs in to boost the tournament after all why would Americans watch a game they don't play?

Why do you fall for this stuff? Anyway Mr. Beaumont has been given a big wedge of money by the SL clubs so they obviously want Leigh back. I'd go for Bradford.

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Leigh deserve their shot if they’re not breaking any rules.

I agree. It would be great to see a successful London team, which would obviously be of more commercial value to SL than Leigh. However, the Broncos have been given a fair shot at it, and failed to develop either a large supporter base or commercial presence. Why would having them being back in SL now be different?

1 hour ago, ojx said:

I agree. It would be great to see a successful London team, which would obviously be of more commercial value to SL than Leigh. However, the Broncos have been given a fair shot at it, and failed to develop either a large supporter base or commercial presence. Why would having them being back in SL now be different?

We've already had a successful London team. We now have a unsuccessful London team. But Leigh will continue,again.

10 minutes ago, SL17 said:

We've already had a successful London team. We now have a unsuccessful London team. But Leigh will continue,again.

But the successful London team didn't create an resilient, enduring supporter base, nor a substantial commercial presence. 

With the massive population of London, and the number of Aussie/Kiwi expats who love the game, getting an average attendance of 860 for a winning team in the Championship is really poor. Definitely not knocking on the door of SL. 

15 minutes ago, ojx said:

But the successful London team didn't create an resilient, enduring supporter base, nor a substantial commercial presence. 

With the massive population of London, and the number of Aussie/Kiwi expats who love the game, getting an attendance of 860 for a winning team in the Championship is really poor. Definitely not knocking on the door of SL. 

Come on,they had virgin as main shareholder. The good times eh..  What happened? Now the sport requires Toronto and  North American investment. Well not sure what investment they will bring but obviously the RFL believe in, investing in them.

10 minutes ago, SL17 said:

Come on,they had virgin as main shareholder. The good times eh..  What happened? Now the sport requires Toronto and  North American investment. Well not sure what investment they will bring but obviously the RFL believe in, investing in them.

London had a good shot at establishing a successful SL team. Who knows, Toronto might give it a go, the attendances for League One are encouraging. It could still all go #### up, but definitely worth a trial at a higher level.  Most business success are marked by several failures at first. For RL that is Gateshead, Crusaders, PSG, London. It doesn't mean you should stop trying, the potential for a couple of successes are well worth it.

Yeah I think they got a positive owner. Good crowds. 

Toulouse big issue is the stadium which is as clear as mud in my opinion. The redevelopment see a stadium of 5500. And there need to ground share with union clubs is other alternative. They got good team full of a lot of locals 

Toronto seems they will be there, in this instance how long til we see Canadians in squad. Understand is a development area like Melbourne Storm this is what is needed long term. 

5 hours ago, The Parksider said:

Why not explain which Commercial contracts Toulose or Toronto will be bringing to Superleague upon entry next year. You just don't say? What are they and how much are they worth?? Why do you think two small clubs playing a minority sport can capture commercial contracts of any real value?

Franchises aren't a possibility given that Superleagues line has been a return to P & R whether Lenegan's 2015 plan to do this or Beaumont and Pearson's nod to P & R before and after Christmas in their published interviews.

As Pearson says SL will investigate whether Toronto are even "serious" about what they are doing. Perez himself offered no commercial contracts of any relevant value until he had guided "5-6 North American clubs into Superleague over the next 10 years".

Your way of beam and wishful thinking on this. This isn't a board game its real lives and it's intolerable to expect English professionals with homes and families here to commute to America to ply their trade, it's intolerable to even contemplate 5-6 English clubs being shut down as professional clubs along with their academies and Foundations to make way for these NA clubs?

All Perez is doing is taking advantage of the plan to hold the World Cup in America 2025, he's a chancer challenging the game to allow North American clubs in to boost the tournament after all why would Americans watch a game they don't play?

Why do you fall for this stuff? Anyway Mr. Beaumont has been given a big wedge of money by the SL clubs so they obviously want Leigh back. I'd go for Bradford.

Why do you say Bradford? They're running around in 3rd division and are a corpse of there former selves. NA clubs are just beginning and their potential is greater than any northern hemisphere club thus far. It is similar to when the Wright brothers created the first plane, people would have criticised that but now look what we have. You are so critical of expansion, why don't you tell us how it should be done, village by village?

10 hours ago, The Daddy said:

I heard it said when Leigh got relegated (again) that they have to get back in as if it were a divine right. In my view they are not a club that will drive the comp to new heights commercially. They have had two shots in recent history to convince the public they can do something at the top level and failed both times. 

Just a small village in Wigan trying to punch above their weight. 

There are two sides.  We also have to consider what clubs and towns will benefit most from Super League

Super League would be a great boost for the sport in Leigh, which has very strong amateur scene.

They are financially stable, have good facilities, offer a local derby to Wigan.

They do not have to be better than Leeds or Wigan, they are competing with Wakefield, Widnes, and Salford and they have a strong case.  If them not being far from Wigan is a problem, then Hull KR have a bigger problem. 

Some of those other clubs have also had far longer being in Super League and have not developed to be much, of any, stronger or better.  Perhaps the investment would be better off going to Leigh.  Indeed, maybe they would have done a Castleford and their place would not be up for discussion.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

I can see why Leigh fans get their noses up at people with threads like this. This is basically just an attack on Leigh and an invite for others to attack Leigh as well as bait for Leigh fans to get on the defensive.

Had the opening post been presented more neutrally, maybe it wouldn't have the appearance. But the OP has come right out of the box with potshots at the club.

FWIW, I think Leigh offer more than a few clubs in SL. I don't think they offer more in potential than some of the new proposals. But should they meet criteria for promotion, they certainly deserve their shot just as much as the Wakefields, Castlefords, Hull KRs, Huddersfields, Widneses and Salfords of this world.

The fact I've named half the league as being just as big a club as they are is (despite being sat outside of the tip echelons in the game for so long) is telling in why they might feel hard done to when they say they won't offer anything so shouldn't be in. What do those other six offer that Leigh don't?

Until we have all these other clubs with potential ready to step up, don't discount Leigh any more than those other six.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Archived