The Future is League

Sharks to blood young play maker

Good luck to Kyle.

What do you reckon to a young player being at the same club where his dad is coach?

I hope Flanno Jr. has a great career... at least as long as he plays at Cronulla ;)

These father/son situations are always fraught with danger though, and can blind the father's judgement. Wasn't the latest (successful) example at Penrith? Here's hoping that his first grade debut (apparently only a matter of months now) and early career ressemble Nathan Cleary's.

I think that the last time Cronulla went through that father/son thing, it was under Chris Anderson. His son never set the world alight. But I honestly can't remember if he held a spot in the 17 at the expense of a more deserving player.

Flanno is, by all accounts, rather stubborn. The last thing Cronulla needs, should it happen, is for him to persist with his son even it proves to be a mistake.

Of course, it's too early to tell and I wish only good things to young Kyle.

I'll always remember when Flanagan was serving is 12 MONTH suspension from RL for being a very naughty boy & was banned from attending games, But he ignored that and was caught watching his sons games & the clowns at the NRL gave him there stock standard smack with a feather duster  - Classic Flanno!

In the UK a recent example is Mark Aston, Sheffield coach, who had his son Cory Aston.

At 22 he’s still to really come good.

“The 22-year old joined the Rhinos from Sheffield Eagles where his father, Mark Aston, had coached him. The Rhinos beat off competition from other Super League clubs to sign the youngster last year. The half-back has made over 75 appearances in the Championship for Sheffield, Featherstone Rovers and Bradford Bulls. In 2017, however, chances at Leeds were hard to come by for Aston and he spent the season on loan with Featherstone and Bradford.”

He didn’t establish himself with us hence he moved on to Bradford. 

Leeds have sold him on to Castleford where his Dad’s friend Daryl Powell is of course coach. If anyone can bring Cory on, it’ll be Daryl.

Edited by Graham