Sign in to follow this  
The Future is League

I'm with Liam Finn

Recommended Posts

What a lot of posters were saying about the stupid England Knights idea. Does the RFL do a market research or ask any of the players what they think.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s way off the mark about countries being treated as second class. They ARE second class. Why do you think we have tier 1 and tier 2 nations?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Liam Finn expresses the frustrations of a player playingfor a "second tier" nation. I'd agree that a coherent International fixture schedule is something that the RLIF need to address and get agreement from international bodies. No time like the present Nige?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with much of this, but I do make the point yet again, that these nations should be taking charge of themselves - games that are currently organised are often just by the nations involved. That is the case in many sports. Now of course they need a helping hand, and a regular structure of competition is helpful, but if Ireland are so confident of being attractive opposition to England, then I would hope a formal proposal is put to them, with details of venue, expected crowd and financial return. 

Ireland just keeping shouting that they should get to play England doesn't make it right.

I should add, I would absolutely love a full test match in Ireland in advance of the Kiwi series, but it shouldn't always be left to charity from the big three, otherwise we are buggered.

Edited by Dave T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I should add, I would absolutely love a full test match in Ireland in advance of the Kiwi series, but it shouldn't always be left to charity from the big three, otherwise we are buggered.

Are we buggered because it’s always left to the big three or because those same big three are only interested in playing each other Dave?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Are we buggered because it’s always left to the big three or because those same big three are only interested in playing each other Dave?

both of those things. We are buggered because it is all left to them and they clearly don't have the desire to be looking after these other teams. 

According to rugbyleagueproject

England and GB have played 534 games, with 293 against Oz or NZ (55%), 190 against Wales or France (36%) and Other teams 51 times (excluding club teams) - 51 times (9%).

If Ireland feel that they could get a 20k crowd in Ireland for a game like this, surely it would be a no-brainer?

 

Edited by Dave T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I agree with much of this, but I do make the point yet again, that these nations should be taking charge of themselves - games that are currently organised are often just by the nations involved. That is the case in many sports. Now of course they need a helping hand, and a regular structure of competition is helpful, but if Ireland are so confident of being attractive opposition to England, then I would hope a formal proposal is put to them, with details of venue, expected crowd and financial return. 

Ireland just keeping shouting that they should get to play England doesn't make it right.

I should add, I would absolutely love a full test match in Ireland in advance of the Kiwi series, but it shouldn't always be left to charity from the big three, otherwise we are buggered.

I'm not sure about the set up of the Irish RFL but I doubt if it is in any position to start renting out stadiums in the hope that England turn up or set up professional competitions. The RFL and RLIF is full of highly paid people who can do this. Why would we be asking low paid administrators and volunteers in Ireland to organise test matches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Scubby said:

“A game against England B team, England Knights or whatever you want to call them is not going to attract a crowd at all."

He's right. It needs to be full England or don't bother. No one wants to see the B team. Its demeaning to their opponents. 

To loose 60-0 to England is one thing. To loose 60-0 to  England B is very damaging. 

League should take a look at union here...Italy still get yearly games against England despite the odd Pasting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

He's right. It needs to be full England or don't bother. No one wants to see the B team. Its demeaning to their opponents. 

To loose 60-0 to England is one thing. To loose 60-0 to  England B is very damaging. 

League should take a look at union here...Italy still get yearly games against England despite the odd Pasting.

But italy union also deliver huge crowds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mattrhino said:

I'm not sure about the set up of the Irish RFL but I doubt if it is in any position to start renting out stadiums in the hope that England turn up or set up professional competitions. The RFL and RLIF is full of highly paid people who can do this. Why would we be asking low paid administrators and volunteers in Ireland to organise test matches.

Well you dont rent a ground before you agree the principal of a game, thats stupid.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

But italy union also deliver huge crowds.

They do but you got to start somewhere. I am not overly keen on a Ireland team if it dosent have at least 30% Irish born players but assuming it does I don't see why they can't get 8000 to watch a game with England or more. And you can grow from there. Worth a shot tbh to have a game in Dublin on a weekend and hope for tourists and some locals. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2018 at 4:51 PM, Southerner80 said:

He's right. It needs to be full England or don't bother. No one wants to see the B team. Its demeaning to their opponents. 

To loose 60-0 to England is one thing. To loose 60-0 to  England B is very damaging. 

League should take a look at union here...Italy still get yearly games against England despite the odd Pasting.

they're trying not to though.... and they didnt before entry into the 6 nations either.. at the moment if they could kick them out and replace them with Georgia I think they would but that would do serious damage to the game, they dont want to make it a 7 nations and they dont want p&r because that could leave an injury hit Scotland etc having a year thumping the likes of Germany.. 

we're at a cross roads in that there are teams crying out for games yet we actually have a GB tour organised and NZ touring next year which ties up the English players.. they do need to sort something out for England to join in with Europe to stop this but their ability to do it this year or next is limited.. 

Surely the mid season international spot could be used for this type of match.. England not necessarily needing to be at full strength lets us experiment a bit but would be a good hit out if Ireland could get their full side out. (of course Eng v NZ in Denver would be the hold up for this)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday



Rugby League World - Online Now - March 2018

Rugby League World - April 2018 - Out Fri 30 Mar

Rugby League Books On Sale Here