Sign in to follow this  
JohnM

How will Wigan go this season?

Another poor off season,good players leaving,inadequate replacements,middle 8s  I'm afraid.

Shaun has said clearly that there will be changes – it’s not so much a change of style, but the individualisation of the team sport will have more emphasis 

there was a little bit of disappointment over the style of play, but the biggest factor which stopped them buying a season ticket was the competition structure with the Super-8s. The fact they don’t know who we’re going to be playing after July, and when, is a problem. And I think that’s why, last year, we saw a drop in season ticket sales, and yet our average attendance actually went up.

Shaun and Ian have both previously mentioned the possibility of an attacking coach joining the club. Is that still an option? Yes, we’re always looking to improve. Over the pre-season we’ve looked for an additional assistant coach, and not found the right person.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby-league/wigan-warriors/exclusive-part-2-radlinski-talks-wigan-s-style-of-play-season-ticket-sales-and-australia-trip-1-8951983

Is Wane under pressure to deliver ? Grumbles about the style , the signings etc ... big season for him to

Could well be. He's been there quite some time by modern-day Wigan standards. 

5 hours ago, Emosi Koloto said:

I have no doubt that Wigan will be one of the top teams in SL this season, despite the doom & gloom they still have a really strong squad and I expect players such as Joel Tomkins and Dan Sarginson to have big years.

I too expect Wigan to go well but wouldn't pin my hopes on the likes of Joel Tomkins he's a waste of salary cap money.

Wane is on thin ice - a repeat of the dull style and/or raft of injuries which have made the last 2 years hard work to watch for many and he will be toast. Particularly if Saints go well. One way or another I expect it to be resolved by Easter. Either we will be firing or someone else will be in place (Shaun Edwards has been in the Wigan news a fair bit recently). Iirc this is Wane's last year on his contract... I am very excited at the prospect of Tomkins and Williams in the halves, for Wigan and potentially for England. 

16 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Wane is on thin ice - a repeat of the dull style and/or raft of injuries which have made the last 2 years hard work to watch for many and he will be toast....

....I am very excited at the prospect of Tomkins and Williams in the halves, for Wigan and potentially for England. 

Both of those. 

Wigan should be better.  Their highly structured style hasn't changed since Maguire was coach and so teams have got used to it.   The team has fewer stars than it had then too so is less effective. 

I can't help but think a change is needed. Players like Williams are stifled by this system IMO.

36 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Wane is on thin ice - a repeat of the dull style and/or raft of injuries which have made the last 2 years hard work to watch for many and he will be toast. Particularly if Saints go well. One way or another I expect it to be resolved by Easter. Either we will be firing or someone else will be in place (Shaun Edwards has been in the Wigan news a fair bit recently). Iirc this is Wane's last year on his contract... I am very excited at the prospect of Tomkins and Williams in the halves, for Wigan and potentially for England. 

With widdop shifted back you’d say both halfback spots are there to be grabbed 

50 minutes ago, DavidM said:

With widdop shifted back you’d say both halfback spots are there to be grabbed 

Plus a settled and successful club combination could give England's attack more coherence than we saw in the RWC final.

14 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Is Wane under pressure to deliver ? Grumbles about the style , the signings etc ... big season for him to

Any coach at Wigan is under pressure to deliver, it unfortunately goes with the turf, its a bye-product of having a generation who where brought up on continual success (I was brought up on continual failure), Lenagan did say when Wayne took the job he expected a minimum of 1 Trophy every other season.

As with other clubs a lot of how a clubs season goes depends on injuries, if Wigan don't suffer too much on that front they'll go ok.

It wasn't a good off season for them but I expect that they will be in with a shout of the top 4 all year. I don't think they will struggle as badly as many people are saying.

It is unusual for a club to bring so many players back who have previously jumped ship. The question is whether the likes of S Tomkins, J Tomkins, J Burgess, D Sarginson, T Leuluai etc. are better players than when they left? If not, they take up a large chunk of the salary cap making it difficult for wholesale changes. I think they will go okay this year. They need Sam Tomkins firing as of old to challenge for any silverware IMO.

Seems to have become popular to write Wigan off this year but I’m not convinced. A lot revolves around getting Sam Tomkins back to his best but I fancy Wigan to be up there at the end of the year. Either that or they’ll have a new coach come the Super 8’s...

12 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

the last 2 years hard work to watch for many

I’m hardly a fan of Wane’s style, but in the last two years he has won Super League and been to a challenge cup final.   Before that he has won the double.

That wasn’t SO hard to watch was it?!   Warrington have been more entertaining during Wane’s reign at Wigan yet have won no trophies during that time.   I’d swap our style for your trophy count if you’re offering.

I  say they will be in the qualifiers, hope we get you at home in Toronto!

I'd expect them to make top 8 but not top 4. Manfredi back and a fully fit Tomkins will boost them. I think their new spine with Leuluai out of the halves and Tomkins there instead actually looks stronger. On the other hand, I think Sarginson replacing Gelling is a bit of a downgrade (if you ignore how Sarginson played in the 2014 Four Nations), and as SOL gets older and older it gets harder for him to carry Wigan. 

15 hours ago, Desert Skipper said:

I’m hardly a fan of Wane’s style, but in the last two years he has won Super League and been to a challenge cup final.   Before that he has won the double.

That wasn’t SO hard to watch was it?!   Warrington have been more entertaining during Wane’s reign at Wigan yet have won no trophies during that time.   I’d swap our style for your trophy count if you’re offering.

Not SO hard to watch but very frustrating though, watching such poor kicking game on too many occasions. Improve on that front, fewer injuries to O'Loughlin -look at the games they lost when he wasn't playing - and they'll put themselves under less pressure in the playoffs.

On 12 January 2018 at 9:03 PM, JohnM said:

ad we a decent place kicker last season, i reckon we'd have posed more of a threat. 

Who is the expected main kicker(s) this season?

On 13 January 2018 at 12:33 PM, Bullseye said:

Players like Williams are stifled by this system IMO.

Even so Williams is great and has X factor . His unpredictability whatever system is the challenge for his teammates? 

I think they’ll have a poor season (for them) league position wise the  6/7 or 8th spot. They’ll probably go on to beat Saints 2/3 times and have a good dig in the CC. 

10 hours ago, my missus said:

this is a thread to save gonna be some red faces at the end of the season.

Will the expected red faces be from those underestimating or overestimating Wigan?

Would you care to share your views on the subject with us?

9 hours ago, Charlie RL said:

Who is the expected main kicker(s) this season? 

I'd expect it to be Escare if he is is back but others closer to the club may know better thsn I.

• Thanks 1