Sign in to follow this  
The Daddy

Lewis Bienek - The best player London has produced (Merged Threads)

That's just my opinion. I've been massively impressed with this kid and almost certain he'll represent England too.

His style and physical stature remind me of Shane Webcke, who was probably the greatest prop I've seen play. 

This kid will play SL one day and I hope it's with London. 

• Like 2

The best player London has produced?

Well, there was a kid from Hackney called Offiah who scored a couple of tries before fading entirely from public view... ;) 

• Like 6

Be interesting to see how he goes up against seasoned SL standard props, when it happens.

Seen the lad in the flesh when playing in the amateurs and he was pretty handy, so really hope he keeps on improving.

a decent season at the Broncos and the big clubs will come calling.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

That's just my opinion. I've been massively impressed with this kid and almost certain he'll represent England too.

His style and physical stature remind me of Shane Webcke, who was probably the greatest prop I've seen play. 

I will wait till he next comes up against a small village in Wigan before offering any comment, I am always honest in my opinion and assessment, hopefully he aspires to be more than the club he plays for and not just another promise that goes on forever but never delivers.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Be interesting to see how he goes up against seasoned SL standard props, when it happens.

Seen the lad in the flesh when playing in the amateurs and he was pretty handy, so really hope he keeps on improving.

a decent season at the Broncos and the big clubs will come calling.

He had a decent game against Widnes 

38 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Well, there was a kid from Hackney called Offiah who scored a couple of tries before fading entirely from public view... ;) 

He just knew how to spot a 3 on 2. 😉

39 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Offiah was a top player but: 

1. He came through the RU playing system.

2. Never played for a London RL youth team or learnt his RL trade in London.

• Like 2

Lewis is a real prospect however unless London progress he'll have to move on to fulfill that potential. 

Lewis and Tuoyo Egodo both stood out as having real raw potential when I saw them on dual reg in Championship One. Tuoyo may yet have something to say about being the best London developed RL player, though next season is massive for him if he is to do so.

23 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

With a population of 9 million there's loads of athletic talent in London but the RFL can't see it.

I'm sure they can see it, but do they have the will and the finances to exploit it?

There is also a ton of talent in the other major cities of the UK.

16 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I'm sure they can see it, but do they have the will and the finances to exploit it?

There is also a ton of talent in the other major cities of the UK.

Not with 9 million in one city is my point

That's more than Yorkshire, Lancashire and Cumbria combined

One of my first posts here was about the lost art of going low in the tackle. At times it is the best option and many examples of it not being employed were seen in the clip.

I think the title of the article was unfair on a young player still to prove himself. He has potential but much application will be required to reach the top. 

2 hours ago, RayCee said:

One of my first posts here was about the lost art of going low in the tackle. At times it is the best option and many examples of it not being employed were seen in the clip

when I first started playing rugby at school I was told by a GB international

tackle em by legs they fall over job done!

12 hours ago, The Future is League said:

With a population of 9 million there's loads of athletic talent in London but the RFL can't see it.

11 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Here we go again, back to abandoning the village clubs along the M62 and transferring the 12  SL franchises to the 12 most populous cities across the Northern hemisphere.

No appreciation whatsoever that along the M62 we can get most quality Rugby players to pick Rugby league first, and we can accommodate them through a quality junior amateur RL structure, into an academy structure with quality coaches and facilities. 

No idea that across the wastelands you want us to inhabit Union has the infrastructure and the clubs to mop up the talent, and offer the talent the bigger stage and the bigger salaries. This includes North America where they play union and are getting ready for a pro league in the here and now - not in their dreams.

No appreciation that London were put into SL and made to stay there for 18 consecutive years to challenge Union for the talent, and as hard as that was against soccer and RU London, with their backers Branson,  Lenegan and Hughes did as well as they could to open their doors and attract rugby players to league, and they had and still get with this kid, some super successes despite the dominance of Union and soccer.

We did what we reasonably could do, Richard Lewis forced the clubs to persevere, but in the end it didn't work, it didn't have enough infrastructure, it had too much competition, too many costs, and now it doesn't have the private backing. So what would you do then? Put London back in to fail badly or award them quadruple SKY money and extra cap dispensation to help them build and compete?.

Thing is like a lot of my fellow expansionists you never say. As long as a name for a club crops up that isn't along the M62 and is a big place it suddenly becomes a "serious" issue and a pin is stuck in a map , and gross assumptions are made people will flock to the game to play it and pump their £Millions into it. Too late mate, Union and Soccer beat us, so we can only do what we can feasibly and sensibly do. Easy to criticise. 

Edited by The Parksider

11 hours ago, The Future is League said:

But there are only about 10,000 maximum both active participant's and fans in London and I am probably being generous with that figure, multiply that by 30 in Yorkshire, Lancashire and Cumbria.

In their history "London" have been nomadic and re-invented themselves on numerous occasions in numerous locations sometimes travelling miles, perhaps had they been able to stay put in one location and had adopted the name of the town they were playing out of and therefore representing the location instead of the generic London tag, they just may have developed and built up a true and loyal following, I honestly believe that is half their problem, they have no identity as such.

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Yes there is. But, more importantly, there's plenty of it everywhere throughout England and Wales. My little lad plays U10 for a local rugby club here in Cornwall, and the organisation and training is superb. Over 150 kids from the local area turn up every week across the age ranges (in a town of less than 15,000 population), and within that number there will be plenty more suited to League than Union.

Unfortunately, that latent nationwide talent will wither on the vine as RL seems unwilling to take a look for whatever reason. It's insane as all the basics are being coached for them on a junior level.

6 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Perhaps had they been able to stay put in one location and had adopted the name of the town they were playing out of and therefore representing the location instead of the generic London tag, they just may have developed and built up a true and loyal following, I honestly believe that is half their problem, they have no identity as such.

I wholeheartedly agree. London is too 'amorphous' a concept, and the sporting landscape too crowded. Better if it had been, say, Fulham, or Chelsea for that matter.

On 12/01/2018 at 9:51 PM, The Daddy said:

Looks very impressive and has huge potential. Would be a great story for English RL to have this kid and the polish born lad at Leeds playing for England in 3-4 years time as ready made replacements for the likes of Graham, hill and walmsley.

Watching his highlights he certainly looks impressive. However, with young players coming through who are visibly bigger and stronger than everyone else, I'm always cautious to predict how that will transfer to Super League (where that won't be the case). His one arm carry with bumping players off looks great in the video above, but unless he can do that at Super League level, it may actually prove to be a bit of a negative if he isn't in the habit of carrying the ball in two hands and taking defenders away from himself. 

• Like 1

Bienek could turn out to be better, much better, than the Burgess twins. That would imply that he would be playing for England. But  unless London Broncos rejoins Super League, he won't be carving out his rugby league career in London.

17 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

Bienek could turn out to be better, much better, than the Burgess twins. That would imply that he would be playing for England. But  unless London Broncos rejoins Super League, he won't be carving out his rugby league career in London.

Can he catch a pass?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Signed for Hull on a 3 and half year deal but loaned back to London for the remainder of the season.

Apparantly a lot of clubs were interested in him and his highlights reel is awfully impressive albeit against mostly lower league opposition. But I must admit I dont know very much about him.

Good signing?