Sign in to follow this  
plug

Hock

Big rumour on the fev forum that Hock has signed for fev and will be announced before the halifax match on sunday good or bad signing for us thought's 

If Gareth can keep his head together and replicate his last year with us you'll have a very good player , despite only spending a short time with us I'd expect the Leigh fans to give him a good reception when you play us 

Genuinely hope he goes well for you 

• Like 1

Has Hock ever played for a Yorkshire club before?

33 minutes ago, RabbitRhinoovOZ said:

Has Hock ever played for a Yorkshire club before?

NO

Wigan 191

Widnes 18

Salford 17

Leigh 14

As long as Hock can keep his head together he will probably be a good signing for a team at this level. He needs to be kept on a short leash though.

Just now, Padge said:

As long as Hock can keep his head together he will probably be a good signing for a team at this level. He needs to be kept on a short leash though.

His temperament precedes him and so he recieves more than his share of baiting and niggling, which he rises to all to often, it has always gone on and will continue to do so with player's like Gareth, especially if the opposing coach sees him as a threat.

He had a cracking last season with Leigh,was a stand out figure and a true professional. If he can keep that control and not rise to the niggle of Championship he'll be your best forward.

14 minutes ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

I would've thought he would be a mandatory signing for toronto?

He has a business with Danny Tickle so a part time contract is probably more suitable for him

I can’t forgive players like Hock, he had it all and he threw it away, if he’d gone to play in the NRL I think he’d have done a Morley, I think he could have been one of the all time greats. What a kick in the teeth for the lads who run their blood to water but don’t have his natural skills. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Phil said:

I can’t forgive players like Hock, he had it all and he threw it away, if he’d gone to play in the NRL I think he’d have done a Morley, I think he could have been one of the all time greats. What a kick in the teeth for the lads who run their blood to water but don’t have his natural skills. 

Some players have all the talent to become a great but sometimes they have other issues to contend with.When Leyth signed him I wasn`t particularly pleased,however I can`t fault his commitment and ability everyone time he pulled the jersey on.He certainly was on the wrong side of some officiating decisions but that`s probably down to past demeanour .Good signing for Fev if it comes off and both Hock and Riddy will get an excellent reception. Ryan Bailey could have also have been from the same mould!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bartholemew Smythe said:

Some players have all the talent to become a great but sometimes they have other issues to contend with.When Leyth signed him I wasn`t particularly pleased,however I can`t fault his commitment and ability everyone time he pulled the jersey on.He certainly was on the wrong side of some officiating decisions but that`s probably down to past demeanour .Good signing for Fev if it comes off and both Hock and Riddy will get an excellent reception. Ryan Bailey could have also have been from the same mould!  

I know he's a good player.  When we played Wigan in the cup in 2012 he was the difference.  But he does seem to come with a lot of issues.  I think he'll have to convince the Fev fans first, but if things work out they'll take him to their hearts like they did that other bad boy a few years ago, Chris Burton. I wish him well, but I have my doubts.

Watched Hock as a kid and player at Wigan and he was an absolutely superb talent, he repeatedly tore apart defences and was unplayable at times. I am convinced he would have terrrorised the convicts playing at his peak but his attitude and lifestyle choices ruined his career so we will never know. I think he will go very well and do a very solid job at Fev this year but what example does he set to young children watching and playing the game? Fair enough if he was to stand up and becomes an ambassador for "not being a moron", but no sign that I have seen of him doing that so he's burnt too many bridges for me. Not blaming the lad by the way, he's got to earn a living, I just think he just blew it repeatedly despite Wigan bending over backwards for him and there are far better ways for Fev to spend their cash.

3 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Watched Hock as a kid and player at Wigan and he was an absolutely superb talent, he repeatedly tore apart defences and was unplayable at times. I am convinced he would have terrrorised the convicts playing at his peak but his attitude and lifestyle choices ruined his career so we will never know. I think he will go very well and do a very solid job at Fev this year but what example does he set to young children watching and playing the game? Fair enough if he was to stand up and becomes an ambassador for "not being a moron", but no sign that I have seen of him doing that so he's burnt too many bridges for me. Not blaming the lad by the way, he's got to earn a living, I just think he just blew it repeatedly despite Wigan bending over backwards for him and there are far better ways for Fev to spend their cash.

Did you not see him last season? Is everything bad that leaves Wigan?

Edited by SL17

6 hours ago, SL17 said:

Of course, but when they return, like magic, they are great again!

• Like 1

Didn't he say when he left Leigh that it was because he wanted to stay in SL?

Hock's a bit like some players years back - highly talented, but cursed with a short fuse. Fifty years ago his behaviour probably wouldn't have been noticed (can you imagine what one of the real hard men like Cliff Watson would have done to him?).

Edited by Chronicler of Chiswick

15 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

I think hock is over rated.

I prefer liebraomilch (spl)

Ooh lardida, very posh with your Liebfraumilch. Most of us are still drinking concorde....

Edited by dkw

8 hours ago, SL17 said:

Your completely missing my point, I said he will do a good job for Fev this year, meaning as a player. I just don't see the wider benefit in signing someone who is 35 this season with a long history that will do nothing for the image of the club in the minds of parents who have impressionable young kids etc. Especially one like Fev that tries to promote itself as a community asset. Realise many other clubs sign players with misdemeanors (Gelling/Monaghan being good examples at Wigan/Warrington), but they generally mature and become positive role models. Hock doesnt fit into that category from what I have seen as an outsider looking in. There are reasons no top team (no disrespect to Widnes, Salford, Leigh) wanted him after he left Wigan despite his undisputed talent.

Edited by Whippet13