Sign in to follow this  
West Leeds Riviera

New York, Boston and Hamilton in 2019

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

Former Harlequins chief Mark Evans advising Boston rugby league club seeking to join English game.  Everyone note well the last paragraph and what it says about the money from the Sky contract.

It’s nonsense and lazy journalism, along with the second last paragraph because the Premier League rights are currently out for tender and there’s no guarantee Sky will retain or even pay as much for them

Edited by DoubleD

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

Former Harlequins chief Mark Evans advising Boston rugby league club seeking to join English game.  Everyone note well the last paragraph and what it says about the money from the Sky contract.

Bear in mind this is the Daily Mail. I think one of the reasons they have split their channels is perhaps to guage the true interest and value in other sports. I've got Sky again this season but made a point of telling them I don't want the soccer, even though it would only have been a couple of quid extra per month it's still a couple of quid I'd rather (and do) give to charity.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

Bear in mind this is the Daily Mail. I think one of the reasons they have split their channels is perhaps to guage the true interest and value in other sports. I've got Sky again this season but made a point of telling them I don't want the soccer, even though it would only have been a couple of quid extra per month it's still a couple of quid I'd rather (and do) give to charity.

The time they are a changing

4 hours ago, Scubby said:

If people keep saying it enough then Sky will twig and reduce their offer. We should be shouting the game's value from the rooftops and talking about increases not slim pickings.

Good luck with that. Every time there's a televised match, social media fills up with semi-literate droning about how everything's more rubbish than in the past and that the game is dying. Rugby Union trolls are just sitting on their hands, wondering whether they really need to bother making an effort.

• Like 3

On 09/02/2018 at 9:09 AM, StadiumXIII said:

about all this talk of NY, Boston and Hamilton, and even Jacksonville, Montreal, Philadelphia and Parky already shaking about North American clubs replacing our Hull KR's, Leigh, Halifax, Huddersfield etc.. at this stage we only have Toronto and  they've ticked most of the boxes in terms of a successful expansion team and they're only downfall is they probably lose a fair chunk of $$. As for the rest of the bids it's a matter of wait and see maybe near the end of the season once all checks have been made across both sides of the Atlantic would there be an announcement.. Super League will probably go up to 14 teams in 2019 and personally I don't think Toronto is quite ready but Toulouse definitely. New York and Toronto in the Championship would be huge for RL already.. once NY and Toronto start producing young players and getting American and Canadians coming through only then should they be ready for SL.  But the goal is to eventually have a NA League and that is having 6 more Wolfpack like clubs by 7 years time! sounds like a tough ask! that is almost 1 American/Canadian club a year!

Double D says "It’s nonsense and lazy journalism, along with the second last paragraph because the Premier League rights are currently out for tender and there’s no guarantee Sky will retain or even pay as much for them"

Some potential good news there then, but if the possibility exists for the next couple of years of losing the SKY contract then who knows maybe Lenegan and Co. are now stringing Perez  and Co. along for a couple of years as a (poor) insurance policy talking the same rubbish about a transatlantic league as Perez and Argyle have been doing.

Toronto tick no boxes - they are thousands of miles away, they do not develop quality players and will certainly not so for many years to come, 7K fans there are no good to us here, and they are just as salary capped as any club.  

Then onto your stuff about 14 clubs, the SKY contract requires the MPG structure to carry on so it’s 12 clubs with promotion & relegation, if it went to 14 then there are no players for the extra 2 clubs which the SL bosses themselves confirmed in September.

The added twist is the assumption if NA clubs go up they will stay up – what happens when Toronto go up and go back down like Leigh? Too many awkward questions I guess, but maybe you are up for a debate on this?. Especially explain the bit in bold which not even the most fervent expansionists believe that will happen for 10-20 years, so explain why you think it will

Some sort of cloning perhaps?

Edited by The Parksider

10 minutes ago, The Parksider said:

Double D says "It’s nonsense and lazy journalism, along with the second last paragraph because the Premier League rights are currently out for tender and there’s no guarantee Sky will retain or even pay as much for them"

Some potential good news there then, but if the possibility exists for the next couple of years of losing the SKY contract then who knows maybe Lenegan and Co. are now stringing Perez  and Co. along for a couple of years as a (poor) insurance policy talking the same rubbish about a transatlantic league as Perez and Argyle have been doing.

Toronto tick no boxes - they are thousands of miles away, they do not develop quality players and will certainly not so for many years to come, 7K fans there are no good to us here, and they are just as salary capped as any club.  

Then onto your stuff about 14 clubs, the SKY contract requires the MPG structure to carry on so it’s 12 clubs with promotion & relegation, if it went to 14 then there are no players for the extra 2 clubs which the SL bosses themselves confirmed in September.

The added twist is the assumption if NA clubs go up they will stay up – what happens when Toronto go up and go back down like Leigh? Too many awkward questions I guess, but maybe you are up for a debate on this?. Especially explain the bit in bold which not even the most fervent expansionists believe that will happen for 10-20 years, so explain why you think it will

Some sort of cloning perhaps?

I don't know ask Toronto and NY. As they say build it and they will come?? then you look at a club like Melbourne and they've only ever brought through 1 Victorian born and bred player in Mahe Fonua… 

Its interesting that RL journalists know not only who the next TV contract will be with but what the next SL contract will be and certain posters know what clauses are in the contract yet the SL chairmen were telling us a matter of weeks ago that none of them had ever seen the contract with Sky. 

At least we are now spared seeing the out of context quotes of Mr Pearson and Mr Lenegan now they have spoken for themselves and their opinion was pretty much the polar opposite of what those who tried to put words in their mouths would have you believe. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, The Parksider said:

Toronto tick no boxes - they are thousands of miles away, they do not develop quality players.

I think all the clubs getting bumper home attendances vs Toronto would disagree with you here. 

Bit early to write them off for player development too. Unless you can give examples of British players developed in 1 year?