Sign in to follow this  
newbe

THE VALUE OF CHAMPIONSHIP AN LEAGUE ONE

Recommended Posts

With Bet Fred putting in £150,000 into the two divisions, with such a small amount of prize money what does that say about the sport 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair if £150k is true I don’t think that’s too bad.  

There is already prize money in respect of funding relating to the finishing position in the Championship. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was this equal, more or less that what KP was paying before?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This year a million quid from Betfred for the three divisions. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Dave T said:

This year a million quid from Betfred for the three divisions. 

 

850 SL and 150 for Champ/League 1

Is the 150 an increase form KP? anyone know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

850 SL and 150 for Champ/League 1

Is the 150 an increase form KP? anyone know?

It is supposed to be an increase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe they’d have stumped more for some tv exposure . Having them in the shadows tv wise must lower the going rate you’d reckon . Just seems such a shame to have everything squewed toward the top of the pyramid with so much going on to sell and promote beneath .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Maybe they’d have stumped more for some tv exposure . Having them in the shadows tv wise must lower the going rate you’d reckon . Just seems such a shame to have everything squewed toward the top of the pyramid with so much going on to sell and promote beneath .

I agree, but there will be 20 odd games on Premier, 6 on Sky plus some coverage in the middle 8s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Prem games will take a big knock on hit from losing the NRL 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I agree, but there will be 20 odd games on Premier, 6 on Sky plus some coverage in the middle 8s.

Not if some clubs have their way 🙄

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Maybe they’d have stumped more for some tv exposure . Having them in the shadows tv wise must lower the going rate you’d reckon . Just seems such a shame to have everything squewed toward the top of the pyramid with so much going on to sell and promote beneath .

I'd pay the RFL to stream Championship and L1 games. I think a lot of rugby league people would pay a subscription streaming service for them. Wasn't that what ouRLeague was for?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

I'd pay the RFL to stream Championship and L1 games. I think a lot of rugby league people would pay a subscription streaming service for them. Wasn't that what ouRLeague was for?

The bulk of Championship and league matches should be broadcast as a highlights package rather than live , giving them exposure without hitting attendances 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

I'd pay the RFL to stream Championship and L1 games. I think a lot of rugby league people would pay a subscription streaming service for them. Wasn't that what ouRLeague was for?

1

Would enough to cover the costs of filming, infrastructure and effect on attendances? Would clubs be willing to change when the games were played to allow them to be broadcast?

Could we put together a package attractive enough to enough people?

Im not saying we can't, its certainly something im in favour of investigating but id question whether or not the championships and league 1 have enough of a fanbase to make that pay, especially as it would be something of a ghettoization of the competitions, it would really spread or grow their viewerbase outside of the current fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

The bulk of Championship and league matches should be broadcast as a highlights package rather than live , giving them exposure without hitting attendances 

A couple of games recorded on Sunday and shown midweek with highlights of the other games mixed in could get me to part with 40 or 50 quid for the year

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jpmc said:

A couple of games recorded on Sunday and shown midweek with highlights of the other games mixed in could get me to part with 40 or 50 quid for the year

 £7/8 a month for a couple of three day old games and a highlights show? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Would enough to cover the costs of filming, infrastructure and effect on attendances? Would clubs be willing to change when the games were played to allow them to be broadcast?

Could we put together a package attractive enough to enough people?

Im not saying we can't, its certainly something im in favour of investigating but id question whether or not the championships and league 1 have enough of a fanbase to make that pay, especially as it would be something of a ghettoization of the competitions, it would really spread or grow their viewerbase outside of the current fans.

Out of interest,seeing you're a facts and figures person. What was the viewing figures for Championship when Premier held the rights and what where the figures last season for Toronto?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a highlights package for the Championship/League 1 would have been a great idea.

Especially with all the interest in Toronto by the mainstream media this year.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jpmc said:

A couple of games recorded on Sunday and shown midweek with highlights of the other games mixed in could get me to part with 40 or 50 quid for the year

Me as well John , something I put forward a few years ago , start with it online with as you say a highlights of 1 game from each league and the trys from the rest , the RFL require footage anyway , the cameras cost a couple of grand each thesedays

Get each club some training for their regular users , you could provide a very good package with an extra mounted camera at the 2 highlighted games , not cost the earth 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SL17 said:

Out of interest,seeing you're a facts and figures person. What was the viewing figures for Championship when Premier held the rights and what where the figures last season for Toronto?

Premier Sports figures arent on Barb, so no idea. But probably not a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Premier Sports figures arent on Barb, so no idea. But probably not a lot.

But probably not a lot,was enough for Sky to buy the rights,right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Premier Sports figures arent on Barb, so no idea. But probably not a lot.

One thing is for sure...media exposure is critical, especially TV, if you want future growth and increase in value.  Rugby league has fallen behind in this regard and needs to catch up fast, or risk becoming obsolete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SL17 said:

But probably not a lot,was enough for Sky to buy the rights,right?

Sky bought them for the 8s, thats why they don't show them outside of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

One thing is for sure...media exposure is critical, especially TV, if you want future growth and increase in value.  Rugby league has fallen behind in this regard and needs to catch up fast, or risk becoming obsolete.

Exposure. I agree entirely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

One thing is for sure...media exposure is critical, especially TV, if you want future growth and increase in value.  Rugby league has fallen behind in this regard and needs to catch up fast, or risk becoming obsolete.

Correct! So in your opinion who has restricted TV exposure in the Championship?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday



Rugby League World - Online 28 Jun - July 2018

Rugby League World - July 2018 - Out Fri 29 Jun

Rugby League Books On Sale Here