Sign in to follow this  
Tommygilf

New Leeds Captain

Recommended Posts

Watkins! Another Lancastrian! 

Great choice in all serious and probably the thing that could take his game to the next level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s a lot of talk about captains at this time of year ... is it overstated and of any real tangible significance ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DavidM said:

There’s a lot of talk about captains at this time of year ... is it overstated and of any real tangible significance ?

No and yes. Your leaders are the ones who set the culture and the expectations that the rest of the squad adhere to. It's much more than dishing out a telling off when you're under your own sticks after conceding a try. 

14 minutes ago, Southstander13 said:

Not sure on this, great player but he comes across a bit meek.

Would have preferred Stevie Ward myself.

So does Cameron Smith. There are many different models of successful captains. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of which , getting  in the refs ear and being a barrack room lawyer on the pitch is a big plus !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Southstander13 said:

Not sure on this, great player but he comes across a bit meek.

Would have preferred Stevie Ward myself.

well Mac must feel different about him and he gets  lot of criticism too ,but he keeps on winning things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this is a great choice. I have noticed a much more mature Watkins over the last 12 months or so. He is hitting his peak playing wise and is eloquent in front of the camera. Also, from Leeds point of view, tying him into the fabric of the club is not going to harm their plans to make him a one-club man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I think this is a great choice. I have noticed a much more mature Watkins over the last 12 months or so. He is hitting his peak playing wise and is eloquent in front of the camera. Also, from Leeds point of view, tying him into the fabric of the club is not going to harm their plans to make him a one-club man.

yes and he will also have a higher profile off the field too .As you said the club making him part of the fabric of the club .They want to keep him at the club and in the British game throughout his peak years 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

yes and he will also have a higher profile off the field too .As you said the club making him part of the fabric of the club .They want to keep him at the club and in the British game throughout his peak years 

I can see this and them wanting to put him at the forefront more. One of the criticisms of his game previously was that he didn't get involved enough/looking for the ball. I remember Sinfield saying they needed to get the ball out to him more. I think he rectified that somewhat last season but I think giving him the captaincy will only enhance that by giving him greater responsibility.

He wouldn't have been my first choice, but he could be an inspired one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well not being in the coaches or players camp and seeing how players respect, listen to, and whom provides the right kind leadership so to speak I would have absolutely no idea whom the best candidate was.... and I don;t think many on here do either.

Good luck to Watkins...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

After a good showing in the WC this might just be enough to keep him this side of the NRL. I suspect, as others have, that this may have been in the thoughts of the management when making their choice.

 

no nrl club would want Watkins - terrible choice as capt, goes missing most of the match against any quality opponents just like senior used to do

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

no nrl club would want Watkins - terrible choice as capt, goes missing most of the match against any quality opponents just like senior used to do

Sorry that is absolute tosh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Sorry that is absolute tosh.

where is the nrl queue to sign him? oh that's right - there isn't one- don't know where the good wc form came from either? less than average for mine on those displays

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

where is the nrl queue to sign him? oh that's right - there isn't one- don't know where the good wc form came from either? less than average for mine on those displays

Give yourself an uppercut 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

where is the nrl queue to sign him? oh that's right - there isn't one- don't know where the good wc form came from either? less than average for mine on those displays

one post was enough ,you've got past yourself

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was linked with the NRL a few years ago but tellingly there hasn't been anything since. If he wanted to go he would have gone by now.

This could be a great decision as as although he is a class player and has had so much success with Leeds this could be the making of him and takes his game to another level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday

Rugby League World - Jan 2018



Rugby League Books On Sale Here