winter league

Is there room for an eight team city winter league on a semi pro basis ? Starting in October running through till end of March with a three week break over Christmas and new year. That gives you 23 weeks for fixtures. Each team plays each other three times for 21 games top four make play off semis 1st v 4th 2nd v 3rd . Final to be played at who ever finishes highest that qualifies through semis. It could be away to help expand our game 8 teams from cities like Leeds, Manchester , Bradford , Hull , Liverpool , Sheffield, Cardiff , London . Maybe in time then form a second division .      

Chief Crazy Eagle

13 minutes ago, superten said:

Is there room for an eight team city winter league on a semi pro basis ? Starting in October running through till end of March with a three week break over Christmas and new year. That gives you 23 weeks for fixtures. Each team plays each other three times for 21 games top four make play off semis 1st v 4th 2nd v 3rd . Final to be played at who ever finishes highest that qualifies through semis. It could be away to help expand our game 8 teams from cities like Leeds, Manchester , Bradford , Hull , Liverpool , Sheffield, Cardiff , London . Maybe in time then form a second division .      

I just don’t think there’s a high enough level of interest.

Do you mean instead of the current Championship? Or as well as?

If its the latter, where would the players come from? Sheffield could barely raise a team for their game against us the other day, and I know we are struggling to locate suitable players.

Or are you thinking that players will double up? A summer season with the Bulls and a winter season with 'Bradford'?

1 minute ago, paulwalker71 said:

Do you mean instead of the current Championship? Or as well as?

If its the latter, where would the players come from? Sheffield could barely raise a team for their game against us the other day, and I know we are struggling to locate suitable players.

Or are you thinking that players will double up? A summer season with the Bulls and a winter season with 'Bradford'?

AS well as the current leagues. Some players may chose to double up , but plenty of players may chose to play winter rugby rather than summer freeing up more family time for summer hols ect

Chief Crazy Eagle

17 minutes ago, superten said:

AS well as the current leagues. Some players may chose to double up , but plenty of players may chose to play winter rugby rather than summer freeing up more family time for summer hols ect

Are you serious? You think players could play 12 months a year? Or are you just trolling here....

38 minutes ago, Defender1 said:

Is it really?

I don’t think trying to compete head to head with soccer is the way forward for rugby league in the UK.

I also think gates would go down as people are more used to the warmer climate (at least on paper) of the spring/summer months and would be less willing to brave the cold.

I know not everyone agrees and there will always be downsides too with summer rugby.

I prefer summer rugby but if we were to do winter rugby then Id like to see it as a throwback second tier featuring teams that have great heritage but no chance of ever being competitive Super League teams - increases the profile of heartland clubs marginally, gives more product to sell across 52 weeks a year, more exposure for up-and-coming players etc. Then let Super League be as expanisionist as possible with the small traditional clubs having a protected winter niche.

A fair number of Challenge Cup final appearances in the example 10 team league below though I dont think York and Hunslet are officially the same clubs.

Winter League

Workington 

Barrow

Swinton

Oldham 

Batley

Hunslet

Dewsbury 

Rochdale

York

Keighley 

12 minutes ago, Goughy said:

I prefer summer rugby but if we were to do winter rugby then Id like to see it as a throwback second tier featuring teams that have great heritage but no chance of ever being competitive Super League teams - increases the profile of heartland clubs marginally, gives more product to sell across 52 weeks a year, more exposure for up-and-coming players etc. Then let Super League be as expanisionist as possible with the small traditional clubs having a protected winter niche.

A fair number of Challenge Cup final appearances in the example 10 team league below though I dont think York and Hunslet are officially the same clubs.

Winter League

Workington 

Barrow

Swinton

Oldham 

Batley

Hunslet

Dewsbury 

Rochdale

York

Keighley 

Be surprised if it is part of the strategy for any of those clubs.

Where are Doncaster and Whitehaven by the way?

11 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Be surprised if it is part of the strategy for any of those clubs.

Where are Doncaster and Whitehaven by the way?

I doubt it is part of ther strategy either. Most of them are pretty much treading water though with no real chance of the big league so if there was a winter league then this is what Id suggest -- I am not saying they should do it though. 

Donny doesnt have the history of the teams included (focused on small clubs with a rich and successful history - all at least Challenge Cup finalists) and the town is big enough and has the stadium to have the potential for a Super League club despite it obv never going to happen.

5 minutes ago, Goughy said:

I doubt it is part of ther strategy either. Most of them are pretty much treading water though with no real chance of the big league so if there was a winter league then this is what Id suggest -- I am not saying they should do it though. 

Donny doesnt have the history of the teams included (focused on small clubs with a rich and successful history) and the town is big enough and has the stadium to have the potential for a Super League club despite it obv never going to happen.

Fair enough.

44 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

No, why would we want 52 week rugby league? We have to let the players have some off time. The "Summer Season" starts the first week in February, and with Internationals, and Play-offs runs to November, give it a break.

And we have to let the fans have some time off!  Truly, absence makes the heart grow fonder!

Archived