Sign in to follow this  
The Daddy

RU & NFL pay for terrestrial coverage - So should RL

I was told by someone in the tv industry that The NFL pay for their coverage on the BBC. I've also read on this forum that RU pay Channel 5 to screen the Premiership. If so then the RL must as a matter of priority do whatever it takes to get improved coverage of the sport on a major channel. 

I hope this is considered by the new administration. 

1 minute ago, The Daddy said:

I was told by someone in the tv industry that The NFL pay for their coverage on the BBC. I've also read on this forum that RU pay Channel 5 to screen the Premiership. If so then the RL must as a matter of priority do whatever it takes to get improved coverage of the sport on a major channel. 

It should be a major if not 'the' major priority...we are clearly being out manouvered.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Considering the steadily growing popularity of NFL among British viewers, I do wonder if that is actually true.

And we are talking about the NFL, who have money to burn, and RU, who have, at least, more money to throw around than RL.

To be honest, I doubt this story quite a bit. The Beeb are very positive about both these sports, and have a documented record of actual overspending on RU in the past.

• Like 1

Could the RFL produce more live content. Or pay to produce a better quality highlight programme. Better than the single camera highlights you get from the majority of the games. Send a few more cameras to the bigger non televised games to produce extented highlights for the BBC to use. Would be nice to see.

Edited by Mattrhino
  • Like 1

I could see clubs and fans really welcoming the RFL signing a deal which cost us money.

• Like 7

I can fully believe that nfl and ru pay for terrestrial tv coverage. What a great move - their sport increases profile and the competitions and teams are more attractive to sponsors. Obviously they’d love the tv companies to pay them but as they create the demand then no doubt they will in a year or two. We’ll still be moaning that we have a god given right to be paid for terrestrial coverage in prime time on bbc1.

The future of sports broadcasting is something akin to a 'freemium' model. In my opinion. 

Terrestrial to gain new fans, pay-tv for the casual sports fans. A dedicated channel/platform for the hard-core fan. 

It also goes to show the importance of the CC and how we really need to address the issues it currently faces 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Channel 5 paid c.£1m for a four year deal to show the RU Premiership.

and I think that covers 5 live simulcast games per year plus the highlights.

Just had a quick look at the first ever live RU Prem game on terrestrial TV.

They have claimed that they can be hoping for as many as 1.5m viewers from this terrestrial deal. That would have made it the highest viewed programme on Channel 5 that week had they got that. 

A quick look down the Top 30 programmes that week shows that the programme did not make the list, which has 620k at the bottom end. None of the highlights shows appear either.

This did return an excellent figure on BT however of 338k (the other two games that weekend got 150k and 130k).

It will be interesting to watch how this develops, clearly people are being a bit excitable about the potential numbers, but even if they did pick up a further couple of hundred k on C5, they will have had a decent number overall (although I suspect still less than our Challenge Cup games on the BBC - 7 per year). I also believe our SL Highlights of the playoffs and Grand Final get some really good numbers (c1m at times) which potentially dwarf the C5 RU figures.

I think the model is interesting, and if we could get Sky to buy into this, to be able to potentially offer 1 game per month on the BBC to complement Cup coverage could do really well I think.

5 hours ago, West Leeds Riviera said:

How much do the RFU and NFL pay?

If the RFU are paying what its worth, they get it for nowt

We get more club games on terrestrial television that either RU or NFL. It is not a token couple of club games on C5 we need it is a strategy to stop the decline in attendances and to create a vision for the future. That vision can't be Hull v Hull KR x5 any longer. It is quality and marketable elite RL.

If we are trying to create more RL on terrestrial TV then organise  some more meaningful England games FFS. That is what drives interest above all else.

• Like 1

If this is true, and if the RFL were the one's to do it first then almost to a man RL fans would be absolutely crucifying the RFL for doing it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

If this is true, and if the RFL were the one's to do it first then almost to a man RL fans would be absolutely crucifying the RFL for doing it.

I'm telling you its a weird mindset RL has in some respects...time to lead and be inventive...thats why so many other sports (including hockey) are interested in the development of the TWP...its a big bright spot!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

I'm telling you its a weird mindset RL has in some respects...time to lead and be inventive...thats why so many other sports (including hockey) are interested in the development of the TWP...its a big bright spot!

Our greatest strength is our open attitude to change and innovation but our greatest weakness is that we change too much too often with too little thought.

• Like 2

Well put!

1 hour ago, Tre Cool said:

I have often said that the RFL are very pragmatic in trying to do things, but this is also their downfall as it leads to inconsistencies. 

15 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Is it really true that the BBC gets paid to screen a particular sport? If that is the case, then it needs raising with Ofcom. Would it not count as  product placement, or advertising? Remember the payola scandal years ago when record companies piad BBC DJs to play particular recordings? 

One version here: https://scepticpeg.wordpress.com/2015/11/13/the-bbc-payola-scandal/

Edited by JohnM

4 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Is it really true that the BBC gets paid to screen a particular sport? If that is the case, then it needs raising with Ofcom. Would it not count as  product placement, or advertising? Remember the payola scandal years ago when record companies piad BBC DJs to play particular recordings? 

One version here: https://scepticpeg.wordpress.com/2015/11/13/the-bbc-payola-scandal/

I'll go back to my source and check but this is what I was told. Haven't got the foggiest about OFCOM regs. 

So Channel 5 are a major station now?

The BBC already overpays RU for it's product & will do until it stops paying for it 😀

13 hours ago, Mattrhino said:

Could the RFL produce more live content. Or pay to produce a better quality highlight programme. Better than the single camera highlights you get from the majority of the games. Send a few more cameras to the bigger non televised games to produce extented highlights for the BBC to use. Would be nice to see.

But would those clubs let the cameras in?