Sign in to follow this  
Mistress_Marlowe

Hull's Sporting Life: Tony Collins

Saturday, 3rd February, 11am, University of Hull - Public Talk

'The Sporting Life of the City'

Speaker:  Professor Tony Collins, Professor of History, De Montfort University. 

City, Rovers, Hull and much more… How did sport become so important to Hull? This talk traces the history of sport in Hull from the early 1800s to present day, exploring the rise of rugby, football, cricket and athletics and many other sports that the city has taken to its heart. It looks at how women in Hull have participated and highlights the role that immigrants have played in creating the city’s sporting culture. Most importantly, it asks what makes sport in Hull so important to so many people. 

Free Admission - All welcome – Booking is required, please visit: http://libcal.hull.ac.uk/event/3302094  

Can't make it? Find Tony Collins and Victoria Dawson's chapter on sporting Hull in Hull: Culture, History Place

• Like 1

I know Tony's an excellent historian and writer, but has anyone attended one of these events? Is he a good talker too?

23 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I know Tony's an excellent historian and writer, but has anyone attended one of these events? Is he a good talker too?

Two or three years ago, he came to my local city, Salisbury.  It was a Waterstone's-sponsored event in the annual Salisbury Arts Festival, and was centred on the launch of his, then, new book, The Oval World, which is well worth a read; it is a global history of both rugby codes.

It took the form of a Q&A session and, to come to your question, Futtocks, yes, I thought he spoke well within that context.  I think he was quite softly spoken, but with good voice intonation. 

There was an audience of about 35; I went wearing my Catalans replica shirt.  The only weak element was the chairman/interviewer who began by saying that there were big rugby international events coming up, with the union autumn internationals and, if I remember correctly, a Lions tour to look forward to; no mention of the, then, impending 4 Nations in this country!  So I think Tony knew what he was in for!  

Eventually, his interviewer asked him what he thought of England's chances in the forthcoming Autumn internationals (meaning the union ones), or something like that, and Tony had to point out that he was rugby historian, whose interest in current form was concentrated on the 13-a-side code!

I asked a provocatively worded question (in that environment!) which made Tony smile, but also gave him a chance to explain that union's lifetime ban on those who played league was recent enough for him to have personally met the last person to suffer this abuse of individual choice.  [Alarmingly, perhaps, there are one or two generations of union devotees growing up who know nothing of their code's brutal approach to ours (indeed, they know nothing of, inter alia, union's opposition to professionalism and league competitions)]

I had a drink with Tony afterwards and he kindly signed the copy of his book I had bought.  Nobody else stayed for a drink!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jarv said:

Baseball?

Oh Yes.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_in_the_United_Kingdom

In the late 50s  the brass band in which I played rehearsed in premises at the Baseball Ground on the north side of Bolton Road in Pendlebury.

Used to watch Stretford Saints in Longford Park, too. see http://www.manchesterbaseballclub.co.uk/page4.html

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Oh Yes.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_in_the_United_Kingdom

In the late 50s  the brass band in which I played rehearsed in premises at the Baseball Ground on the north side of Bolton Road in Pendlebury.

Used to watch Stretford Saints in Longford Park, too. see http://www.manchesterbaseballclub.co.uk/page4.html

Jarv means baseball in Hull John. It was very popular just after WW2. They used to play at the old Craven Park former home of Hull KR.

Edited by deluded pom?

31 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Jarv means baseball in Hull John. It was very popular just after WW2. They used to play at the old Craven Park former home of Hull KR.

Just before the war mate.  I think there were a few teams too.

Maybe someone can add to this, but I was a,ways told the Amateur Sunday Football League was the biggest in Europe.  Iirc there were around 20 divisions.

Understood about the Hull focus. Topic drift I know but just adding to the point, really about how surprisingly widespread it was, with Pro teams, too.

1936 Professional leagues formed, Derby, Manchester, Stoke, Preston & Aston Villa 

Yes I was referring to baseball in Hull. The following book is pretty interesting on how big baseball got  -

The blokes of summer

I do enjoy telling my KR friends that the baseball got bigger crowds at Craven Park than they do now

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

Maybe someone can add to this, but I was a,ways told the Amateur Sunday Football League was the biggest in Europe.  Iirc there were around 20 divisions.

I am fairly sure I played in division 20 (I ended up getting to play in 4 I think!) around 20 years ago although to be fair it did stretch as far as Cranswick/Driffield in the north and to the coast. No idea of the size now. Would be interesting comparison as to how all sports are/aren't struggling.

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

I used to play darts from Hull Aces club on Newbridge Road many moons ago. I also used to work with a lad who played for Hull Cobras. Frank and Wayne Parker played baseball too. I also heard the one about the Hull Sunday football league being the biggest in Britain. I never heard it called the biggest in Europe though. You aren’t mixing it up with the claim that Bransholme is/was the biggest housing estate in Europe are you? Surprisingly for such a big amateur football scene Hull didn’t produce many top professionals.

Edited by deluded pom?

5 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

On the boxing front we’ve got Roger Tighe. Jackie Turner was ABA champion and obviously Olympic gold medalist Luke Campbell.

Barbara Buttrick?

Aces.  Now there was a good RL team.  With some great players too!

Just now, Lowdesert said:

Barbara Buttrick?

Aces.  Now there was a good RL team.  With some great players too!

Barbara Buttrick the first women’s boxing world champion. The Hull Aces I referred to was a baseball team not the rugby league team.

Aces was a great baseball team as well. In the 60s they were getting crowds of up to 300 on a Sunday afternoon,always a good time to watch sport. Hence the game moved from Saturdays to Sundays! What went wrong leading to Thursday/Friday being the main event.

9 hours ago, Mistress_Marlowe said:

Saturday, 3rd February, 11am, University of Hull - Public Talk

'The Sporting Life of the City'

Speaker:  Professor Tony Collins, Professor of History, De Montfort University. 

City, Rovers, Hull and much more… How did sport become so important to Hull? This talk traces the history of sport in Hull from the early 1800s to present day, exploring the rise of rugby, football, cricket and athletics and many other sports that the city has taken to its heart. It looks at how women in Hull have participated and highlights the role that immigrants have played in creating the city’s sporting culture. Most importantly, it asks what makes sport in Hull so important to so many people. 

Free Admission - All welcome – Booking is required, please visit: http://libcal.hull.ac.uk/event/3302094  

Can't make it? Find Tony Collins and Victoria Dawson's chapter on sporting Hull in Hull: Culture, History Place

Thanks for the heads up, Vik, it sounds really interesting. Just booked two places.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Been to a few. He is a good speaker but thankfully not the sort who loves the sounds of his own voice too much. He knows his stuff inside out.

1 hour ago, Ullman said:

Love the image they've used on the Open Campus programme of events website.

1513615701.png

"Old Faithful, you'll never win at Thrum Hall..."

Who's that geezer top right?

Bet he never made a name for himself...

10 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

"Old Faithful, you'll never win at Thrum Hall..."

Who's that geezer top right?

Bet he never made a name for himself...

I'm sure somebody on Total Northern Union said we'd never win anything with three second rate Aussies in the side and although not quite up there with Paul Hunter and Steve Portz, Billy Batten and Jack Harrison wasn't a bad partnership.

22 hours ago, Jarv said:

Baseball?

Yes, we covered baseball in the chapter, so it will be covered in the talk too.

• Like 2

On 1/19/2018 at 4:48 AM, Jarv said:

Yes I was referring to baseball in Hull. The following book is pretty interesting on how big baseball got  -

The blokes of summer

I do enjoy telling my KR friends that the baseball got bigger crowds at Craven Park than they do now

You are correct,Hull played the Romford Wasps on Saturday 14-8-37 at Craven Park in front of 11,000 people in the NBA cup final.Three of the Hull team also played RL Freddie Miller(Hull FC and later Featherstone),Billy Teal (Wakefield Trinity) and Clarke (Hull FC) Hull won 5-1 and their pitcher was Max (Lefty) Wilson who later played for the Washington Senators in the MLB

Hull has a rich history of baseball,before WW2 there were 64 teams in Hull.Baseball took off again after the war but never reached the same heights as before the war.

Eddie Waring was the GM of the Dewsbury Royals in the pre war professional league,George Nepia played for Streatham and Micham and Lance Todd was the manager of Lancashire v Yorkshire at Headingley in 1935.

Hull KR have had quite a few baseball players including Brian Brook ,Wayne Parker (Hull Aces) Bill Cornforth (Hull Royals) and Phil Coupland (Hull Priestman)

• Like 1