Graham

Team Photo 1988-89

Just scanned this team photo from my programme from 1988-89 season programme when Rovers played Salford on 4th December 1988. (Stones Bitter Championship - 1st Division)

Not a bad side pictured, though it wasn't the exact side that took to the field that day. Add to the pictured side the players I've begun to list at the foot of the photo and it got even better!

Rovers_88-89_best.thumb.jpg.46a3a6360396e4991d9c1bfb3c094736.jpg

Edited by Graham

Here's the full list of players used that season:

5a60cfa577cd8_1988-89Playersrecords.thumb.JPG.04f6abc84f22cd07fc5c4e7f5a0e9e3e.JPG

Oh and the result that day:

5a60d06dbcf8e_DEc4.JPG.e48c2f221e8de14197a7764e47e6afde.JPG

The team named in the programme that day was 

Bibb, Newlove,Lyman, Banks, Smales, Steadman, Deryck Fox, Grayshon, T Clark, K Harrison, Glen Bell, P Hughes, Peter Smith. Subs: J Bastion +1

I was there but can't remember the changes to the side named in the programme.

Edited by Graham

Graham Steadman produced some of the most exciting play I ever witnessed. Paul Newlove was I think 17 at that time with a world class career ahead of him. Chris Bibb was creative and nippy and a joy to watch. Ian Smales was big, powerful and fast. 

Perhaps the most amazing bloke in the side that day was Jeff Grayshon who played on well into his forties!

Pete Smith as you mention had style and vision more than most...

I could go on...

The point being that that year's squad contained a fair number of my all time favourite Rovers' players.

Edited by Graham
  • Thanks 1

I remember the era very well. Pete Smith a great player and Newlove one of my favourites. Threw me a bit when the picture shows 1998. Was that a mistake on the day? 

48 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

I remember the era very well. Pete Smith a great player and Newlove one of my favourites. Threw me a bit when the picture shows 1998. Was that a mistake on the day? 

Yes JC well spotted. You win a notional coconut. Thanks for pointing that out - time is just a blur these days!

I've corrected the caption.

Edited by Graham

Agree with all the comments already made but what a player Paul Lyman was as well. Unstoppable at times.  Would love to see him in the 2018 team.

• Like 1

The one I’d bring back would be Deryck Fox. He was amazingly power packed and could dictate play with some astute passing and creative kicking. He was a hugely reliable goalkicker and could tackle well above his weight.

There again I’d rather bring more back!

Edited by Graham

Yeah if you could bring back just one of these its a tough choice - but it's hard to look further than Newey - a world class player who could have fit into any team from any era.  I think we had him at his peak though.  Anyone remember an unbelievable length of the field try he scored at Thrum Hall back in the late 80s ?

6 minutes ago, RobLambert said:

Yeah if you could bring back just one of these its a tough choice - but it's hard to look further than Newey - a world class player who could have fit into any team from any era.  I think we had him at his peak though.  Anyone remember an unbelievable length of the field try he scored at Thrum Hall back in the late 80s ?

Sure do. Collected the ball himself from the play the ball beat two or three then skinned the cover to score at the covered end of the ground where I was stood. An amazing try from possibly the best Fev player over the last 40 years imo shading the likes of Pete Smith and Deryck Fox to name but two.

43 minutes ago, Graham said:

The one I’d bring back would be Deryck Fox. He was amazingly power packed and could dictate play with some astute passing and creative kicking. He was a hugely reliable goalkicker and could tackle well above his weight.

There again I’d rather bring more back!

Thanks for the notional coconut Graham, I wont shy away from that. Funny thing about the plaudits for Fox the way the photo is taken he looks like he is wearing a crown but it is the fence behind him. Perhaps he was metaphorically awarded it on the day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, RobLambert said:

Remember it well nobody could have stopped him scoreing that try bloody cold as well that day

I think this photo is from the opening day that year. Leeds at home. I may be wrong.

This line up is Grayson, Smith, Hughes,  Harrison, Bastian, Bell, Quinn.

Front: Steadman, Lyman, Fox, Bibb, Banks, Marsh

• Like 1

We have official team photos that are now set up pre-season.

It would be a good idea to take another on pitch pre Match team photo during the season, especially to catch up with incomers and capture that live match day setting.

These photos seem to get more interesting with the passage of time, being as they are both a record, a reminder and something to be proud of.

I can see Deryck Fox scurrying and dodging now. That feint to kick through right but actually kicking left was rewarded with points very often and I can picture it now so very clearly.

Edited by Graham

The thing that always stands out when you see photos or watch videos of old games is how long so many players stayed with the club in days gone by. For instance, I view players like Pete Smith, Keith Bell and Steve Quinn as having represented Fev in a totally different era to the likes of Paul Newlove and Martin Pearson (the era of Paul's dad, in fact!), and it's always a bit startling when photos like this remind me of how the generations were joined.

Featherstone always had a fantastic team spirit and most coaches managed to keep that, playing for your team mates and the shirt meant more, it seems then, than it does now.  Retaining players seemed easier, Chris Bibb was the man for me, quick off the mark and slight enough to break through the defence, Fox was a general, Grayson, wow! Loved the atmosphere when we played Wigan, Bradford and Leeds, think they hated coming to Fev, was always tough.  It would be interesting to see how the team of the 80s would compare with now, conditions, training, facilities etc, would love to see Newlove, skipping through and would we be in SL?  Great memories....

Great memories of John Newlove as well. His swerve round opposition players instead of a sidestep will always stay in my mind. One of the most under rated players of our history was to my mind was Steve Hankin. His performance at Wembley was top class.  Newlove skipping through = yes- but lets have happy memories of Steve Evans also skipping through. Would have liked to see them play together.