Bid to Bring WC 2021 to Cornwall

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t have a problem with this if it’s being used as a springboard to introduce semi-professional RL to Cornwall otherwise what’s the point.

18 minutes ago, philipw said:

Sound great, but surely we want to be aiming for venues with a capacity greater than 6k?

If your referring to existing grounds, there’s hopes of building The Stadium of Cornwall Which is down for a 16,000 capacity.

The more interest the better but depending on which report you read most of the stadiums have been settled and 2021 will have a distinctly northern accent. The RFL have received funding on the basis there is a Northern Powerhouse approach, hence Andy Burnham.

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

1 hour ago, The 4 of Us said:

If your referring to existing grounds, there’s hopes of building The Stadium of Cornwall Which is down for a 16,000 capacity.

The more interest the better but depending on which report you read most of the stadiums have been settled and 2021 will have a distinctly northern accent. The RFL have received funding on the basis there is a Northern Powerhouse approach, hence Andy Burnham.

No, I am referring to the one that Cornish Pirates are trying to get built, which will be 6k capacity (with the hope they can develop to 10k in the future), which I believe is the same one you are talking about, but plans have clearly bee downscaled from the original 16k

https://cornish-pirates.com/archive/16-17/16_17_news/stadium_update_1.html

1 hour ago, philipw said:

No, I am referring to the one that Cornish Pirates are trying to get built, which will be 6k capacity (with the hope they can develop to 10k in the future), which I believe is the same one you are talking about, but plans have clearly bee downscaled from the original 16k

https://cornish-pirates.com/archive/16-17/16_17_news/stadium_update_1.html

Thanks for the update. Hadn’t seen that. Think there will be plenty of big stadiums to up the average but I think even if limited to 6,000 it would be deemed a success al a Bristol, especially with a couple of emerging teams. That said, they’d probably be close to the back of the queue. 

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

I would love the opportunity of Cornwall to be in the mix for the 2021 WC. However, to go down there for anything less than a guaranteed five-figure crowd is a complete waste of time - no matter how much ££s is proposed. That is exactly the mistakes made by the 2017 RLWC team. What is the point? We got money from the government.

The 2021 competition is about making a statement, smashing through attendance barriers, putting RL on the map as a major player in the UK and changing perceptions of it as an international sport.

4 minutes ago, The 4 of Us said:

Thanks for the update. Hadn’t seen that. Think there will be plenty of big stadiums to up the average but I think even if limited to 6,000 it would be deemed a success al a Bristol, especially with a couple of emerging teams. That said, they’d probably be close to the back of the queue. 

I agree that the idea is a good one, but if RLWC21 is going to meet it's targets, stadia with greater capacity need to be locked it at all possible opportunities 

29 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Think this is a great idea - an England World Cup warmup game (preferably against a team like Samoa or Tonga).

Kills a few birds with one stone.

I’m not opposed to the suggestion but isn’t it a bit low key for a warm up to what will hopefully be a huge tournament? Whilst it will raise eyebrows to RL watchers, might just seem a bit small time and random to the wider public. A Knights game has a lower profile but could still get good local coverage which might help local growth. A warm up could be played in London, which might whet the appetite for walk up crowds/ late bookings for the tournament. Harlequins got a good crowd for NZ Oz a few years back

1 hour ago, JoneslessBishop said:

I’m not opposed to the suggestion but isn’t it a bit low key for a warm up to what will hopefully be a huge tournament? Whilst it will raise eyebrows to RL watchers, might just seem a bit small time and random to the wider public. A Knights game has a lower profile but could still get good local coverage which might help local growth. A warm up could be played in London, which might whet the appetite for walk up crowds/ late bookings for the tournament. Harlequins got a good crowd for NZ Oz a few years back

England Knights is just a 'b' team though - there'll be a lot less interest in that for people in Cornwall and so less of a boost afterwards.

We need spread the concept of England RL around the country not just play it safe imho.

I think London would be good too though for a warm up if you're going to stage nearly all the tournament itself in the north.

17 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

England Knights is just a 'b' team though - there'll be a lot less interest in that for people in Cornwall and so less of a boost afterwards.

We need spread the concept of England RL around the country not just play it safe imho.

I think London would be good too though for a warm up if you're going to stage nearly all the tournament itself in the north.

The full England team need to go to locations where they can draw a decent crowd or the brand gets damaged. Cornwall is as far away from the heartlands as possible and not a big local populations

The SW is a union hotbed though and I think a few England Saxons teams have drawn decent crowds down there. Therefore the Knights is feasible to me and there would be the added attraction of playing full international opponents with a Celtic flavour, drawing on the regions routes.

If the Knights do draw home games, suggestions on here have been that they won’t get good heartlands crowds, so this could be a good solution. Maybe Newcastle and Coventry (Butts) to aid growth there. They could also be used to grow interest a year before World Cup games at bigger venues in those cities

1 hour ago, JoneslessBishop said:

The good thing about a warmup in a low key place like that is that you are not competing for ticket sales at all. If you want to watch England RL in the rest of the country you have to buy tickets to one of the big WC events.

I'm all for ambition, but this seems more like pie in the sky

If you read up a bit on 'Stadium for Cornwall', its been proposed in various forms since 2005, and it doesn't seem to be any nearer becoming a reality. It's going to be a 10,000 capacity stadium. Well, Truro has a population of just  18766, so I don't really see why they'd build a 10K stadium! 

Cornish Pirates play in Penzance (Pop 21,000) which about 30 miles down the road (and that means slow roads in that part of the country).

I just don't see it, frankly

As a resident of Cornwall, some involvement in WC2021 would be great. And very successful.

Let me put it this way... More people will turn up than did to watch Australia play Ireland in Ireland. A lot more.

More importantly, in one fell swoop it blows away the "it's only a North of England game" blether. Add into the fact that it is a great destination for travelling fans for a weekend away and it starts to look like a very sensible idea.

3 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

I'm all for ambition, but this seems more like pie in the sky

If you read up a bit on 'Stadium for Cornwall', its been proposed in various forms since 2005, and it doesn't seem to be any nearer becoming a reality. It's going to be a 10,000 capacity stadium. Well, Truro has a population of just  18766, so I don't really see why they'd build a 10K stadium! 

Cornish Pirates play in Penzance (Pop 21,000) which about 30 miles down the road (and that means slow roads in that part of the country).

I just don't see it, frankly

Truro, Falmouth, Redruth, Camborne, St. Austell, Penryn. All within twenty minutes drive from the site and with a combined population of over 150,000. Add in isolated settlements, closer to 200,000.

6 hours ago, Copa said:

Is there a Cornish word for rugby league?

Cornish and Welsh (Cymraeg) have the same Celtic roots. The Cymraeg for Rugby League is Cynghrair Rygbi...I'd expect the Cornish to be similar

3 hours ago, JoneslessBishop said:

Can’t generate a big enough crowd to justify one of the few games outside the Northern powerhouse. However might be a good venue for an England Knights game. Not that i am necessarily a fan of the concept ....

Agree with this. No offence to the Cornish but, if we're only playing a handful of games outside the north, we can't afford to waste one in Cornwall.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Archived