I think I’ve asked this question before but obviously can’t remember the name but can anybody remember the name of an early super league era paper that used to preview the matches of both super league and the lower leagues and maybe even the 2 rival comps down under?? It could have come out on the Thursday or Friday and I can remember it being a huge shiny magazine/newspaper hybrid type paper. 

If anybody could upload an image of it that would be even better.

6 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

I think I’ve asked this question before but obviously can’t remember the name but can anybody remember the name of an early super league era paper that used to preview the matches of both super league and the lower leagues and maybe even the 2 rival comps down under?? It could have come out on the Thursday or Friday and I can remember it being a huge shiny magazine/newspaper hybrid type paper. 

If anybody could upload an image of it that would be even better.

I am pretty sure it came out on a Friday - cant for the life of me remember its name though. Was it Super League Week or something? IIRC, it ran from about 1996-98 (maybe not even that long). Was 

4 minutes ago, philipw said:

I am pretty sure it came out on a Friday - cant for the life of me remember its name though. Was it Super League Week or something? IIRC, it ran from about 1996-98 (maybe not even that long). Was 

I think that could be it. Super league week. I used to buy it religiously. Am I crazy but it was a huge magazine style paper right?

12 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

I think that could be it. Super league week. I used to buy it religiously. Am I crazy but it was a huge magazine style paper right?

No, you're not crazy, it was definitely glossy/magazine style - certainly on the outer four pages - it might have bee paper inside, I can't remember that bit in as much detail 

7 minutes ago, philipw said:

No, you're not crazy, it was definitely glossy/magazine style - certainly on the outer four pages - it might have bee paper inside, I can't remember that bit in as much detail 

Do you remember the paper covering both comps down under? Would have been around the time of the super league wars.

9 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

Do you remember the paper covering both comps down under? Would have been around the time of the super league wars.

That would definitely make it 1996 - although I can't remember too much about the ARL/SL content

21 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Wasnt it the friday sister version of LE?

If that's the case, it bore the same name as this website. I used to buy it the Kings Cross WHSmith. It also carried NRL match reports.

Actually, and I'm sure Mr Sadler will correct me if I am wrong, its original name was Rugby League Weekend. It then became Super League Week and finally Total Rugby League.

• Like 1

The publication in question was indeed the forerunner (eventually) to the website you're now looking at!

It began life in September 1993 (the days before 'summer' rugby) as League Express Weekend, on sale on Fridays, and underwent three title changes over 8 seasons, overseeing the transition from winter to summer and the Super League era. It made its final bow on 20th October 2000 as Total Rugby League. The print edition was replaced by a website www.totalrl.com in January 2001.

I've dug into the archives in our office and here's a precise timeline and a few covers for you. 

LEAGUE EXPRESS WEEKEND
Issue 1 (24/9/93) to Issue 30 (29/4/94)

First cover of League Express Weekend

1-LE-WEEKEND.jpg

RUGBY LEAGUE WEEKEND
Issue 31 (19/8/94) to Issue 70 (19/5/95)
Issue 71 (18/8/95) to Issue 93 (26/1/96) - End of Centenary Season

First cover of Rugby League Weekend

1-RL-WEEKEND.jpg

SUPER LEAGUE WEEK
Issue 94 (29/3/96) to Issue 118 (13/9/96) - First Super League season
Issue 119 (14/3/97) to Issue 148 (3/10/97)
Issue 149 (27/3/98) to Issue 180 (2/11/98)

First cover of Super League Week

1-SL-WEEK.jpg

TOTAL RUGBY LEAGUE
Issue 181 (5/3/99) to Issue 209 (17/9/99)
Issue 210 (3/3/2000) to Issue 242 (20/10/2000)

First cover of Total Rugby League

1-TOTALRL.jpg

...and the last cover of the print edition of Total Rugby League

FINAL-TOTALRL.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, John Drake said:

The publication in question was indeed the forerunner (eventually) to the website you're now looking at!

It began life in September 1993 (the days before 'summer' rugby) as League Express Weekend, on sale on Fridays, and underwent three title changes over 8 seasons, overseeing the transition from winter to summer and the Super League era. It made its final bow on 20th October 2000 as Total Rugby League. The print edition was replaced by a website www.totalrl.com in January 2001.

I've dug into the archives in our office and here's a precise timeline and a few covers for you. 

LEAGUE EXPRESS WEEKEND

1-LE-WEEKEND.jpg

RUGBY LEAGUE WEEKEND
Issue 31 (19/8/94) to Issue 70 (19/5/95)
Issue 71 (18/8/95) to Issue 93 (26/1/96) - End of Centenary Season

First cover of Rugby League Weekend

1-RL-WEEKEND.jpg

SUPER LEAGUE WEEK
Issue 94 (29/3/96) to Issue 118 (13/9/96) - First Super League season
Issue 119 (14/3/97) to Issue 148 (3/10/97)
Issue 149 (27/3/98) to Issue 180 (2/11/98)

First cover of Super League Week

1-SL-WEEK.jpg

TOTAL RUGBY LEAGUE
Issue 181 (5/3/99) to Issue 209 (17/9/99)
Issue 210 (3/3/2000) to Issue 242 (20/10/2000)

First cover of Total Rugby League

1-TOTALRL.jpg

...and the last cover of the print edition of Total Rugby League

FINAL-TOTALRL.jpg

Man, that’s awesome. Takes me back. Happy days. Thanks.

• Like 3

I remember them, they had admission prices and prices of refreshments etc from all the grounds/fixtures if i remember correctly, was a great read in the days before pre-purchasing tickets.

3 minutes ago, daz39 said:

I remember them, they had admission prices and prices of refreshments etc from all the grounds/fixtures if i remember correctly, was a great read in the days before pre-purchasing tickets.

That’s interesting. I’m guessing that all this information was giving below the preview of a fixture at the home grounds. I wonder if travel information and location of the ground etc was also given?

1 minute ago, walter sobchak said:

That’s interesting. I’m guessing that all this information was giving below the preview of a fixture at the home grounds. I wonder if travel information and location of the ground etc was also given?

I'm pretty sure it was.

Was almost like a bible back in the days for those of us who attended away games.

8 minutes ago, daz39 said:

I'm pretty sure it was.

Was almost like a bible back in the days for those of us who attended away games.

That’s all pretty basic stuff but very handy as well. 

40 minutes ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

I seem to remember we had a glut of publications appear at one point.

"Touchdown" and "Thirteen" seem to come to mind.

Anyone else remember these?

Wasn’t thirteen the official RFL glossy mag that lasted about three issues? There was also Rugby Leaguer Review out at about that time too.

1 hour ago, Desert Skipper said:

Whatever happened to Open Rugby that I used to read as a kid?   Or was that a rival publisher? (Sorry!)

0A22950A-6A47-4BD6-B5C3-6AF309A04667.jpeg

There are times when I feel like chucking myself under a bus... but before I do, I'll be taking a critical look at the way we promote our publications on TotalRL, if there really are forum members on here who don't realise that in addition to running this website, we are also the publishers of League Express, and of course, Rugby League World, which was previously known as Open Rugby. We are clearly doing something wrong.

Yep, indeed, sir, the magazine you refer to above is still going. It never stopped, it just changed its name in 1999 to Rugby League World.

Issue 442 is out on 26th January and will contain a full club by club preview of the new season covering Super League, Championship and League 1, plus a veritable goodybag full of other stuff from international to women's RL, it's all in there, and a snip at £3.99, or even cheaper if you subscribe!

You can order a single copy (now with free UK postage) or a subscription via the link below:

http://shop.totalrl.com/product/rugby-league-world-subscription/

Or, if you are digitally minded, it's also available online at www.totalrl.com/rlw and we've a special offer running on this option till the end of January, get an extra 25% off any online copy or subscription by entering code RUGBY25 at the checkout when you order on Pocketmags.

And just to prove I'm not fibbing that it really is the same magazine that started out as Open Rugby, here's a gallery of all the covers from issue 1 to 400...

http://www.totalrl.com/rugby-league-world-covers/

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Desert Skipper said:

... that was when Rugby League felt like it was on the same standing as any other major sport in this country.   Or maybe I’m just being nostalgic and time is bending reality...

I totally agree to a point but I would say that RL was definitely more visible back then than it is today but you have to factor in things like rugby union still being amateur back then with RL still being able to poach great talent from wales and even NZ. Plus we are also talking about an era pre premier league for football. Also the ashes was huge back then and we had household names like offiah, Hanley, Davies and schofield etc in our game. RL also seemed to get more press and column inches in the papers back then and little things like RL players appearing on “A question of sport” etc.

17 hours ago, John Drake said:

LEAGUE EXPRESS WEEKEND

1-LE-WEEKEND.jpg

Who came up with this particular cover John?, it's a work of bloody genius.

For those that don't remember, Andy Dannatt was playing for Hull FC against Leeds at the Boulevard quite a few years back, I think it may have been a cup tie, and he smashed Ellery Hanley's jaw with an appalling late hit with his elbow.

I imagine it will have been at least a year or so before this front cover was issued so they'll have had plenty of time to come up with the main headline and the seemingly very appropriate one underneath.

7 hours ago, John Drake said:

There are times when I feel like chucking myself under a bus... 

Yep, indeed, sir, the magazine you refer to above is still going. It never stopped, it just changed its name in 1999 to Rugby League World.

Aha, I apologise!

To be fair, since the age of 18 I’ve spent most of my time overseas and it’s not easy to get ANY rugby league outside the UK, let alone a magazine!

But now I’m back I’ll endeavour to include RL World in my monthly shop.

(Still prefer the title Open Rugby though, if only to trick the odd neutral into getting in to RL! 👍)...

• Like 1