Sign in to follow this  

The commonwealth nines down under in April for both men's and women's team two day comp yet I have heard nothing about it . Will it be broadcast on TV ? 8 teams in men's comp and 6 teams in women's. All England , Scotland and Wales are there in men's comp   

Edited by superten

1 hour ago, superten said:

The commonwealth nines down under in April for both men's and women's team two day comp yet I have heard nothing about it . Will it be broadcast on TV ? 8 teams in men's comp and 6 teams in women's. All England , Scotland and Wales are there in men's comp   

The 9s tournament is actually taking place in Feb.

The world is coming to Moreton Bay for the 2018 Rugby League Commonwealth Championships. The Rugby League 9's tournament will be held at Dolphin Stadium on 23 and 24 February 2018

I think it's an exhibition tournament, rather than being an actual part of the commonwealth - ie. no medals given. I'm not sure why that's the case........

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

I think it's an exhibition tournament, rather than being an actual part of the commonwealth - ie. no medals given. I'm not sure why that's the case........

See Regulation 6

https://www.thecgf.com/about/constitution.pdf

I would guess:
too few national participants 
insufficient TV coverage
not an Olympic Sport
No recognised international competition
already got RU 7s as an event

4 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Its a good beginning!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

Its a good beginning!

Went to glasgow the canadians were really good and were union lads

The people doing the ground work over there in placed like british columbia dont get enough credit done a fantastic job in the last few years.

A lot of talent in canada to be tapped into.

More so than in usa who i feel will struggle to adapt to league.

The canadian PE system is much closer to the UK.

6 hours ago, DoubleD said:

It’s also being played well before the games proper begin.

1 hour ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Went to glasgow the canadians were really good and were union lads

The people doing the ground work over there in placed like british columbia dont get enough credit done a fantastic job in the last few years.

A lot of talent in canada to be tapped into.

More so than in usa who i feel will struggle to adapt to league.

The canadian PE system is much closer to the UK.

There are great opportunities in Canada (and you're right BC is doing great things for rugby league) and don't forget our ladies, don't forget the lassies!

• Like 1

Rugby League needs this to be a success on the Gold Coast as the area seems a graveyard for team sports. If this event can get more people watching and playing Rugby League on the Gold Coast that would be great

49 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Rugby League needs this to be a success on the Gold Coast as the area seems a graveyard for team sports. If this event can get more people watching and playing Rugby League on the Gold Coast that would be great

Considering it's not being played on the Gold Coast that's pretty unlikely. Not that it would have made a difference if it was.

Nice of the rfl to continue their push in women's RL by not sending a team.

7 hours ago, East Coast Tiger said:

Considering it's not being played on the Gold Coast that's pretty unlikely. Not that it would have made a difference if it was.

Nice of the rfl to continue their push in women's RL by not sending a team.

Well the last one in Glasgow 4yrs ago Australia couldn't be bothered with the process of sending a full team over and just sent the Roosters U19s over complete with 3 or 4 kiwi lads.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Well the last one in Glasgow 4yrs ago Australia couldn't be bothered with the process of sending a full team over and just sent the Roosters U19s over complete with 3 or 4 kiwi lads.

So they sent a team then. One up on some already. And it gave someone else a chance to win. I think you'll find no one is sending a "full" team. That would be the best u23 players in the NRL. When Canada can send a team and the rfl can't it says a lot.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, East Coast Tiger said:

So they sent a team then. One up on some already. And it gave someone else a chance to win. I think you'll find no one is sending a "full" team. That would be the best u23 players in the NRL. When Canada can send a team and the rfl can't it says a lot.

Its really important that 9's is pushed in the Commonwealth Games...if we can get 9's recognized there is funding that goes with that and it would really help League internationally.   Just look what Union 7's have developed into...a real success story.   League are late to the game on this,it was a missed opportunity about 10years ago (big error but so be it), and we need to focus and catch up...its very important especially for the weaker nations....there is a real opportunity here still...its a beginning which could have a great end story if played right.

I know I might see it from a different angle but this should be a PRIORITY...right up there at the very top of the list.