Eddie Hearn ' Monitoring RL'

According to Phil Caplan on the RL on RY podcast. 

What the significance of this is I have no idea but I think he would make a great owner of the London Broncos or Skolars and the type of owner one of these clubs needs. I don't see him as a RL administrator at the RFL cos I believe it's vastly different to what he does so well at now.

He's really helped take the sport of boxing forward and if all of that energy could be focused on creating a successful club in London that's where I see his benefit to the sport. 

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

According to Phil Caplan on the RL on RY podcast. 

What the significance of this is I have no idea but I think he would make a great owner of the London Broncos or Skolars and the type of owner one of these clubs needs. I don't see him as a RL administrator at the RFL cos I believe it's vastly different to what he does so well at now.

He's really helped take the sport of boxing forward and if all of that energy could be focused on creating a successful club in London that's where I see his benefit to the sport. 

Don’t forget darts and snooker as well. He was also chairman of Brentford or Leyton orient I believe.

We definitely need people like this in our game be it at club level with a London club or at a governing level.

1 minute ago, The Daddy said:

It's Leyton....isnt that his dad Barry? 

You’re right. I just seen the name Hearn and thought of Barry. Has Eddie Hearn took over all the operations from his dad because Barry Hearn was big in boxing, darts and snooker I believe.

2 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Yes, Barry was chairman of LO till about 3 years ago

Did he leave under a cloud because Leyton orient are now a non league side.

Hearn gets involved and you'll have a franchised league playing on midweek evenings on Sky faster than you can say "but he's made the darts really popular".

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, westside said:

That would be outstanding. Always wondered what would happen with RL in London if it got into some of the tougher areas not really touched by RU.

Not quite sure RL spreading into the “tougher areas” of London would increase the attendances. Maybe the number of participants at a grassroots level perhaps.

4 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

Did he leave under a cloud because Leyton orient are now a non league side.

They got relegated last year under their crazy Italian chairman (the words of an Orient supporting colleague). Whether due diligence was done in selling to him could be questioned, but that was Barry not Eddie

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Hearn gets involved and you'll have a franchised league playing on midweek evenings on Sky faster than you can say "but he's made the darts really popular".

Maybe they mean at club level and not governing level.

Just now, walter sobchak said:

Maybe they mean at club level and not governing level.

That's not been the style before. Control of the governing body has been the direction.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

People always use things like T20, Darts, Snooker, Boxing etc as evidence that SL is under-delivering, ignoring the growth that has been delivered since the advent of SL. Let's look at some of the things they have done:

Create a league season. Yeah, we've had that for decades. 

Create events - again, we were one of the first major sports over here to adopt the 'razamatazz' - club nicknames, mascots, pre match entertainment etc. and we were (and still are) ripped by many people - despite the fact that it has created a real family environment. Magic Weekend has been a great addition to the calendar (loads of stick), and the Grand Final is an outstanding event. We are hosting great world cups and working towards new international events.

New formats - this is something where there may be opportunity - but as has been discussed before, cricket fixed a problem that some fans could not (or didn't want to) commit to a full day (or 4/5) to watch a game of cricket and just wanted a night out. We already had a 2hr event. They wanted a slogfest for fun, we already have a game with loads of action.

Personally, I think these sports have learnt a lot from RL.

12 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Never really understood the fascination some have with the Hearns. Not convinced either would make a difference in RL. 

I’m more fascinated in how they dramatically increase the prize money of events and the media coverage.

3 minutes ago, walter sobchak said:

I’m more fascinated in how they dramatically increase the prize money of events and the media coverage.

In which sports?

Darts happened 25 years ago; boxing has been big money since the 1930s and has never been more invisible in the media than today; snooker has less prize money, more tournaments for players to slog through for buttons and is mostly tucked away on Eurosport.

To me they've always struck me as organised and capable of reaching their fan base, but in sports where the door is already quite open (in terms of the willingness of the press to engage), and sports that have had some high spots in the recent past, with a latent fan base.

No doubt they are good at something, but i just can't see them making the same sort of dramatic difference in RL.

Barry Hearn proved he was bog standard when in charge at Orient.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

I agree with that. I don't think the problems darts was facing were that hard to fix either when all is said and done. Credit where it's due for what has happened with the PDC but the idea that rugby league would explode if he took over based on what's happened with darts is another case of us using irrelevant examples to compare ourselves with, IMHO.

3 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

To me they've always struck me as organised and capable of reaching their fan base, but in sports where the door is already quite open (in terms of the willingness of the press to engage), and sports that have had some high spots in the recent past, with a latent fan base.

No doubt they are good at something, but i just can't see them making the same sort of dramatic difference in RL.

Barry Hearn proved he was bog standard when in charge at Orient.

The problem with being a football chairman is that’s it’s a crowded market in football and usually the clubs that spend the most on transfers and wages do better than those that don’t. Did Hearn pump a lot of money into the orient??

24 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

In which sports?

Darts happened 25 years ago; boxing has been big money since the 1930s and has never been more invisible in the media than today; snooker has less prize money, more tournaments for players to slog through for buttons and is mostly tucked away on Eurosport.

Darts and snooker both times.

I don't think he did really.. not in Football terms anyway.

Could see Eddie Hearn being a good fit as an event host, but not much beyond that. Maybe i'm wrong. Be interesting to see him involvedregardless.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

PDC split from the grassroots leaving them behind.

Snooker has moved from UK to other countries as China.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Where I would think they could be useful would be if they were given events like Magic Weekend or similar and tasked with growing them.

I agree but with a decent budget any RL fan could sell the magic weekend better than what the RFL currently do. For example Newcastle has a large student population that could be tapped into attending the event. Better advertising at central station and on the metro. Different schools adopting each super league club. Letting Newcastle thunder play a league match at the event etc.

Archived